Viva la Vida

Viva la Vida

A Story by Westminster Abbey
"

Just something I did when I was bored. A story out a song.

"

I used to rule the world. Now look at me, living on the streets, alone. I got a job as a street sweeper. I always feel nostalgic as I sweep the streets that I used to own. I was the king of Rome, until I was overthrown, that is. Oh, I was quite the conqueror. I conquered many lands in my time. I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemy’s eyes.’ Afterword, I would ride through the streets of my new land, in a sort of parade, as my new subjects accepted me as their king. I would listen as the crowd would sing; ‘Now the old king is dead. Long live the king.’ Those were the good old days, until my subjects turned on me. It was the rise of a new religion; ‘Christianity,’ they called it. Well, they could worship whoever they wanted; I stuck with my gods, the real gods. Unfortunately, this upset the people. This new religion planted seeds of ideas in their minds, that all people were created equal. I couldn’t believe it, that they would turn their back on me. One minute I held the key. Next, the walls were closed on me. I never realized how corruptible my kingdom was. It was as if my castles stand upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand.

People were angry at me. They said I shouldn’t conquer as much as I did. I started looking for ways out, claiming that I wasn’t as evil as they were making me out to be. I said, ‘It was the wicked and wild wind that blew down the doors to let me in.’ But they weren’t buying it. Now, they were truly angry. They called me a tyrant, and said that I should be overthrown. People couldn’t believe what I’d become. Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate.

I remember how they captured me, threw me in a cell to rot. After three days, I prayed. I prayed to their God. I was confused. The people wanted to make Him their king. What a horrible position to have! As a king, you always struggled to please everyone. Just a puppet on a lonely string. Oh, who would ever want to be king?

I remember the day they came for me in my cell. There was a great parade on the streets outside. I could hear the noise from my dungeon. I heard Jerusalem bells a-ringing, Roman Cavalry choirs a-singing. Singing to their God, they shouted, ‘Be my mirror, my sword, my shield, my missionaries on a foreign field.’ It was at this time that I prayed harder to their God, begging Him to spare me my life, which He did.

I used to rule the world. Seas would rise when I gave the word. Now in the morning I sleep alone, sweep the streets that I used to own. Every night, I pray to their God, to my God. Ever since I was overthrown, the world is actually a better place. I pray, ‘For some reason I can’t explain, once Your son left this world there was never an honest word, but that was when I ruled the world.

© 2012 Westminster Abbey


Author's Note

Westminster Abbey
The bold is the actual lyrics. I was bored, so I made a story out of a song I had stuck in my head. Here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oncmL69ZEJ8

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this song! Nice job twisting it up a bit with your own words. Very creative and unique.

I like your style... Keep on writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Omg that was actually really cool, great job :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So I really enjoyed reading this. You did an excellent job putting a story behind the lyrics. They just seemed to flow perfectly. Nice job! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing! :D

I want to go listen to that song now ^^

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

270 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 22, 2012
Last Updated on December 22, 2012
Tags: viva, la, vida, coldplay, story, song, rome, ruler, world

Author

Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey

Wishing I could get out, OK



About
123Friendster.com - More Be Yourself Comments My name is Abbey, that's with an 'e,' like Abbey Road or Downton Abbey. Basically the British spelling. I'm closer to a fangirl than to a nerd. I am .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..