Regard Yakou - Common Project Management Mistakes To Avoid

Regard Yakou - Common Project Management Mistakes To Avoid

A Story by Regard Yakou
"

Regard Yakou is the former Vice President of Accurate Building Contractors, Inc., where he worked on a number of large-scale projects for clients.

"

Regard Yakou has developed a stellar résumé of achievements over the course of a 27-year career in project management and he is able to offer the benefits of his experience to those who are new to the role. Novice project managers need to understand that mistakes will happen and it is important that they learn from them as quickly as possible in order to develop their skills. That being said, there are a number of common blunders that you should aim to avoid right from the start, including all of the below.

Excluding Yourself From The Group

One of your jobs as a project manager will be to maintain morale within your team in order to make everybody as productive as possible. If people feel like they are not receiving the feedback they need from their managers, they are more likely to disengage and lose focus on their work. As such, it is important that you make your presence known and develop relationships with each of the individuals in the collective. This humanizes you in the eyes of team members, which usually makes them more willing to work for you.

Assigning The Wrong People

Getting to know the people in your team also allows you to develop a greater understanding of the skills that they bring to the table. This results in people being assigned to tasks that don’t suit their abilities, which can slow the progress of your projects. As such, it is important to constantly assess your choices and to observe how your team members react to different situations. This will allow for more effective delegation of tasks in the future.

Poor Scheduling

You will be made responsible for managing the working days of your team members, in addition to your own, which means that you need to get scheduling down to a fine art. However, many new project managers impose unrealistic expectations on their teams or, even worse, fail to offer deadlines at all. Always consider the complexity of the tasks that need to be completed and factor this into the creation of milestones and goals.

Not Offering Praise

Your team will feel more valued if they receive praise for jobs well done. Simple gestures, such as a thank-you to somebody who has gone above and beyond or holding small office celebrations once milestones have been reached, bolster the morale of your team members and encourages them to push on with other tasks.

Regard Yakou is an experienced construction project manager with extensive international business experience.

To Learn More Visit Here -

© 2016 Regard Yakou


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
Added on September 12, 2016
Last Updated on September 12, 2016
Tags: Regard Yakou

Author

Regard Yakou
Regard Yakou

Doha, Qatar



About
Regard Yakou of Contraco, a building and infrastructure company in Qatar, knows the importance and credibility that an international business degree can have when engaging in business with foreign com.. more..

Writing