Ledges of Rooftops

Ledges of Rooftops

A Story by A.C. Jones
"

I didn't have to jump....or did I?

"

            Sirens echoed in the distance; the sound bouncing through the city and off building walls.  I let the night air rush against my face and kept my eyes closed to let the sounds immerse me.  In the center of downtown, the noise of a parade moving through the streets came with loud drums and big band melodies accented only by the cheers of a crowd.  I opened my eyes.  From where I stood, it could barely be seen.  Only lights and the top of floats gave any clue that there was something going on.  Farther uptown the streets were filled with people who were frequenting whatever clubs and bars were open and letting people in at this time of night.  Half of them were sharply dressed socialites, and the other half were riff-raff who didn’t want to be involved in the parade.

            “Well, are you going to do it?” Her voice interrupted my thoughts.  I had almost forgotten where we were.  The rooftop held a great view of the city from this building.  It was one of the highest around.  I had made my way up here because the crowds were asking for it, and even though I hated heights, somehow it felt comfortable being a little bit higher than the commotion in the world below.  She had followed me up, and I’m not sure if she was here as an encouragement or not. 

            “It’s a long way down,” I said shaking my head.  “A long way down.”

            “But,” she smiled, “they’re cheering for you to do it.”

            She was right.  I looked over the edge.  We were so high up, and it was so dark that I could barely see the heads of the people that were staring up at us.  They were cheering my name and chanting, “Jump! Jump! Jump!”  Their voices were strong, and the more that I listened to them, the more I felt my own thoughts being drowned out.

            “Sounds like they really want me to do this,” I sighed.  The parachute pack at my feet didn’t look that comforting, but I grabbed it anyway.  She helped me put it on and fasten all of the straps that I needed. Her deep red hair covered her face.  Red hair.  Didn't red mean stop?  I pushed it behind her, and she looked up.  Her freckled face housed beautiful eyes with a hint of green.  Green means go, right?  I shook myself out the trance.

            “So, what if this parachute doesn’t work?” 

            “Don’t worry,” she said.  “There’s a safety net down there.  You’ll be fine.”

            “I’ve never fallen in a safety net.  How do I trust something that I’ve never experienced before?”  She shook her head and tightened the last strap.  
            “Well, you trust me, don’t you?”

            “I guess,” I muttered.  “I mean, you wouldn’t lie to me.”

            “Everybody lies,” she said.  “I lie, too. Sometimes, the people closest to us lie because they know what’s best for you.”

            “But that’s not the case now, right?”  She looked at me with a twinkle in her eyes.

            “No, that’s not the case.” 

            My hands gripped the raised edge of the roof.  The wind seemed to pick up, and the temperature seemed to have dropped a bit.   The crowd continued to cheer, and my heart started to beat faster.  Why was I doing this?  I didn’t have to jump, but I was compelled to do it by something deep in my gut.

            My feet balanced on the edge, and I heard the crowd cheer. 

            “Don’t look down,” I heard her say. “Look out over the beautiful city.”

            She was right.  It was beautiful.  I took a deep breath, and then I jumped.  The  first few seconds of the freefall,  my breath escaped me.  Everything seemed to be rushing at me too fast for my brain to process.  Fear started to grip my body, and my brain seemed to freeze.  I reached frantically for the drawstring to release the parachute.  Nothing happened.  There was no sudden jerk or relief from the fall.  I tried again.  Nothing.  The parachute failed.  I would have to depend on the net.  As my eyes adjusted to the ground approaching me at a terrifying speed, I realized that there was no net.  All that I saw in my future was a break in the crowd of people who were still cheering for me.  The pavement looked at me and extended its invitation for me to greet it.   I was going to die.  Why were they wanting me to jump to my death?  Why did she allow me to do this knowing that I wouldn’t survive?  I didn’t want to die.  I closed my eyes and screamed!

            Everything came to a stop. The crowd was no longer cheering.  The air was no longer providing resistance against my body.  I opened my eyes and saw that I was suspended just a few feet from the pavement. There was nothing attached to me.  There was nothing holding me up. The realization hit me when someone in the crowd yelled out, “He’s flying!”

            My body started to rise in the air, and as I thought about movement, my body responded.  I started to laugh and cry at the same time.  I was flying.  I was really flying. I gave a shout of celebration and exhilaration.  She stood on the rooftop when I floated up to her.  A big smile was on her lips. 

            “Why are you smiling?” I asked.  She shook her head, and I saw a tear fall from her eye.  She sighed as she said,

            “I always knew you could fly.”

            My eyes popped open to sunlight beaming through the window of my bedroom.  The rain from the night before had gone, and birds were alive and singing outside.  My head had conformed to my pillow, and the sheets were half off of the side.  So, it had all been a dream; a strange dream.  I guess that flying through the night should have given me a clue.  My bones cracked as I stretched and looked over to the empty side of the bed where my wife slept.  She wasn’t there.  In place of her body was a piece of paper. 

            Honey, I want to let you know that no matter what distractions come your way, no matter what the crowds may chant, no matter what comfort zones fail you; remember that I am always here for you.  And when you fall, I know that you will fly.

© 2017 A.C. Jones


Author's Note

A.C. Jones
would love your thoughts

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ron
It's good. Maybe add a little description of the woman.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A.C. Jones

7 Years Ago

thanks, I'll do that

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

229 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 7, 2017
Last Updated on February 7, 2017
Tags: inspiration, metaphor

Author

A.C. Jones
A.C. Jones

Viginia Beach, VA



About
Media producer, hip hop artist, poet, fictional writer, blogger, sport fanatic, nature-love, coffee drinker, thrill seeker, movie and tv show junkie, animal lover, rollercoaster phien, beach bum, moun.. more..

Writing
Playing God Playing God

A Story by A.C. Jones


Midnight Midnight

A Story by A.C. Jones