The Coat Pocket

The Coat Pocket

A Story by restlessscribe

I reached into my pocket, not knowing what to expect. He held my stare and I swore I saw a tear resting in his eye. No matter what I pulled out of this trench coat pocket, whatever I saw could very possibly be the answer to all my questions. I have been awaiting this moment for sixteen long years. The moment I turned twelve I was warned by my father that a tragedy would occur later in life, what that tragedy could be I have no idea.

"Await the time and it shall come, however only one object can save you from this future." He said to me with a blank stare.

For years I questioned him, trying to receive the answers I so desperately needed. To no avail, he passed on my seventeenth birthday. A letter found in his coat pocket read a helpful clue to what this so told apocalypse I may face could be.

"For years you've know of such tragedy, suspense has been held without any sign of help. Many more years may pass and still know answers will be found. However, on the day you need it most you will find the treasure to help you resolve your issues."

I lay silent next to my fiancée, knowing that soon enough I will be on my own. With his leg bleeding from battle, I knew that our time was near. He sat in the crook of the open door, awaiting whatever may come next. I didn't realize until recently that my coat was heavier on the left side than on the right. It hit me, the realization of what that could mean. I felt around my pockets frantically searching for the mysterious phenomenon lying in the pocket of my gray trench coat.

Footsteps. They were coming for him. Faster and faster, heavier with each step. Do I dare glance? I look at my fiancée, tears now streaming down his face. The look of plea on his face, I know that he cannot go any further. Without any more hesitation I pull the object out of my pocket. A syringe. The syringe is full of clear liquid, with an orange cap covering the needle. I am suddenly confused, drawn to a daze. I look at my fiancée for a sign of help, but only a queer look crossed his face.

As I look the bottle over, noticing the small amount of liquid inside, my fiancée grabs the vile. A tear slides down his left cheek, red blotches cover his face.

More footsteps.

"Is it... it must be for one of us, right?" He quivers.

I shakily nod, grabbing the vile and removing the lid.

"But for who?" He murmurs under his breath. I shrug my shoulders and slowly retreat back into the corner of which I have drifted from. He grabs my free hand and softly places a kiss on my left cheek.

"I don't know what will happen next," he whispers softly, "but I know that without me they will not harm you. Harboring a fugitive is a crime, a crime that I will not let you get in trouble for."

He quickly pulls the vile from my hands. A short breath escaped from my throat, I knew what was coming next. Another tear slid down his cheek, as did mine.

"I don't know what will happen in the future my darling, but I want you to know I love you." A quick, passionate kiss. He shoves the needle into the right side of his neck, quickly draining the clear liquid from the vile into his blood stream. His body turns pale, his green eyes roll to the back of his head, and his breaths quickened. Another tear slid down my cheek as I kissed his cold, pale lips. Salty from tears, I pulled away and brushed my lips on the inside of my jacket.

The door on the far side of the room slams open. I quickly rise to my feet, pulling the needle from his neck. I knew exactly what he would have wanted me to do.

"Ms. Stacy." A deep, breathless voice stated from behind. I quickly wiped my face free of tears and cleared my throat before responding. "Dr. Ement." I responded before turning around. I let the vile drop to the floor, shattering next to my boot. Dropping to my knees, the rest of the agents swarmed in around us. A quick shot to his head, protocol to be sure the victim is dead. A quick gasp left my throat before I could stop it, I must keep myself from crying. Grabbing my lifeless fiancée's body, Dr. Ement looked at me, "Was this your doing? Did you kill him?" he questioned. I nodded my head.

Catching one final glimpse before exiting the room, I looked at Dr. Ement.

"We're proud of you, sergeant." Dr. Ement said to me, placing his hand on my shoulder. I looked away as one final tear slid down my face. I walked out of the house that I had lived in for so long, knowing I could never step back there again. If they only knew the truth, I would have been killed there as well.

© 2015 restlessscribe


Author's Note

restlessscribe
Please let me know of any grammar issues you see and any questions or comments you may have. Constructive criticism only please!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on May 25, 2015
Last Updated on May 25, 2015
Tags: Dystopian, Fiction, Science Fiction

Author

restlessscribe
restlessscribe

St Louis, MO



About
I have been writing short stories since I was young, and I wanted to finally find a place to share my stories. I enjoy writing a mixture of genres, all fiction. I'm 17 and just recently graduated from.. more..