Opposites

Opposites

A Story by rgupta

People say opposites attract but what happens when you want to switch lives with that person. What then?


That is what happened to me.


I’m Nina Rhodes.


The other part is my story, Harry Crawford.


Chapter One: Harry Crawford

Her, she was everything I wanted. She was tanned. She had blonde-hazel curly hair. Her face porcelain and perfect, she had a petite nose, rosy red cheeks and perfectly chiselled cheekbones. Lips were red as blood and red wine. Her eyes black like the night. Her name, not Snow but Nina. The only problem was that she was from the Upper East Side. While I live, Brooklyn I don’t exist in her world but she existed in my world. We went to the same school and this is how the story began.


Nina grew up in a kingdom called the Upper East Side with rich billionaires all wanting to marry Nina. Her best friend, Ellie, that stood tall next to her when Nina’s life was falling apart. Ellie was shorter than Nina a bit of irony when she stands tall next to her. Ellie was brown-haired light skinned. She had green eyes that could light up one thousand people's worlds but if you broke her heart then she would break your life.


Anywhere, where do I began?

Nina, she had just come back from wherever she went. No one really knows because she just disappeared out of the blue. People think she went to rehab. Just rumours though. Not many people know why though.


Once there was a beauty princess (well a princess in my eyes), called Nina who had a lot of friends but a selected amount of best friends they are called Ellie, Gigi and Zayn. I wasn’t her prince in shining armour but I wanted to be. She was everything I wasn’t. The one thing we had been that I had a father but she only had a mother. Her mother and my father were friends in high school. They never really stayed in touch and I only found out recently.


‘Welcome Freshman's,’ a speaker said. ‘ A new start to the semester.’

I looked from Ariel to Sam. Ariel was my younger sister not many people knew as she liked to keep that one mystery for her friends to solve. Ariel was like the mother, blonde straight hair with pink highlights that made her stand out and she was really a big feminist, which is great but not when you are two men living in a house with her. Ariel most of all wanted to fit in at New York Harbor School.


She was precautionary biting her nails, when the school’s Queen Bee, Ellie Sharp and her minions came by. It felt like she wanted to be a minion, like everyone else, she would do anything. Ariel has an obsession with becoming a minion but she has a real talent for art, but like everyone else she thinks she is average but if you see her work, it is amazing. Ariel draws from her heart like she is that piece of art. She tells a story with her artwork. She makes the art have to mean to it. She thinks it is rubbish but then she says that about everything she does. Ariel puts herself down more times than she realizes and that makes me rage inside. She doesn’t think you can do anything with art like it is a waste of time. If she is good she should keep at it that’s what she doesn’t see. Most people knew the real reason why Ariel wanted to be a minion, she had a huge crush on guess who. That b***h. Ellie. My own sister wanted to be with Ellie. This girl who can make my life a living hell. Great!


From a distance away you can hear Ellie shouting at her minions. In my head I wonder why my sister would want to be a minion of Ellie, that is a girl thing probably. Anyway, there she was Nina Rhodes standing right next to her bitchy best friends Gigi Zayn and that human she-devil herself, Ellie.


As I walked up the hard cold stairs, someone nudged me more like a push, I lost balance and fell backwards down the stairs. Someone helped me up and I couldn’t believe who, I heard her voice, Nina. Her voice was crystal clear, ‘Are you alright,’ she said moderately loud but I still didn’t really hear it. Then just like that everything went dark.  The next thing I knew was that I was in the nurse’s office and Nina hovering over me, next to me was Ariel and Sam standing in the corner next to each other gossiping about who knows what. I still didn’t make out any noise it was like I had lost my hearing for a few hours. ‘It looks like you hearing has been wrecked from the fall,’ that much I lipread the next part she said all too quickly.


I was then given some pills and off we went back to class. Of course, Nina took her seat right at the front next to Ellie and in the middle of Gigi and Zayn. I sat in the back of the class invisible to everyone. The only person, who looked at the back was Nina and every time we had eye contact she would mouth ‘Are you okay?’ After a while, Ellie noticed and started to glare at me unconditionally. Ellie, she, even gave me the death stare.


After class, Gigi Zayn and Ellie all encircled me. Asked me why Nina was so intrigued by me. They, all, think I knew why. I wish I did but I don’t.

‘I am really unsure of why.’

‘Well, just to make it clear Nina would never date a s**t head like you.’

‘How do you know?’ Said Nina herself.

She was right behind me. Everyone was just staring at us.  

I slowly crept away from the crowd of people. At that moment I wanted to disappear and be invisible.

‘Leave him, out of this, Harry is nothing to me. HIs sister Ariel.’

‘The gay one.’ Someone called.

‘Yes, as I was saying Ariel is friends with my brother Sam.’

Ellie butted in, ‘Why were you gazing at him during Spanish.’

‘ I wasn’t gazing at him, just looking in his general direction, nothing less. I promise Ellie. I’m still dating Ryan.’

‘The handsome one,’ Gigi said grinning.


I walked away my heart dropped to the floor. I thought I could mean something it her,  I guess I was wrong.


Chapter Two: Nina Rhodes

I finally arrived home, mum like normal nowhere to be found. She didn't have a job but husband number six paid for most of my life, including Sam as well. My dad according to my mum is MIA in her life. In mine eyes, I actually have nothing to say never met the man and never want to meet that man. He left my mother, for a younger woman around the age of 25, he went when I was around three, however, Sam never knew him. I always wondered what it is like growing up with a father, not having anyone to look up to other than me, I am usually known as by his friends, of course, Sam’s hot older sister.


Anyway, Harry Crawford, he was the one, he was different. Different in a great sense, he wasn’t the normal person I would “hang out” within reality. All the people I “hung out” with really are very rich and/or many s***s really. The day I met Harry Crawford was the day everything changed the day I realized what I wanted more than anything. The day I fell in love but not just with him, his entire lifestyle of being invisible and not being noticed by other people.


“Hey, wait up,” I called after Harry. I finally court up to him. I called “Out…...Of …………. Breathe.” He chuckled to himself and as I recovered from that “mini hike” in heels. He helped me up. That feeling was magical. Even though he helped me up it was different compared to when Ryan does it. He was careful and he didn’t rush me.

“Hey, I am sorry about my friends.”

“Don’t be it’s not your fault at all.I was wondering if I could maybe erm  take you out for dinner.”

Without thinking I responded “Yes.”

It wasn’t like I wanted to cheat on Ryan but I wanted to kill the relationship and Harry happens to be a piece in my game for chess, no more no less. It wasn't like I was going to fall in love with him.


Harry brought out a different side of me. A side of me that I had never seen myself. It was a new and improved version of me. Someone I was actually proud of.  He changed me more than Ryan ever did. Harry made me feel special. I think I need to break up with Ryan.


“Why are you always hanging out Harry?” Gigi winked at me interrupting my thoughts about breaking with Ryan.

“Harry is a nice guy once you get to know him, anyway  I have to get ready for my date with.”

“With Ryan, right?” Ellie interrupted me before I finished talking.

“No with, erm, Harry,” I said as I tripped on all of my words

“Harry!” Said Ellie spitting out her drink and slipping it on my face. “Why are you going out with him. He is trying to find his way into the “inner-circle”.

“What are you thinking? That Harry is going to get in our group because of me. I know him he is a nice guy, unlike you guys.” I screamed at her, I fled out not knowing why I was just angry. Angry at Elie. Angry at Gigi. Angry at everyone but most of angry at myself. Thinking how dumb the “inner-circle” is.

I didn't care about the Inner-Circle bull crap. I just wanted to be understood by my friends and myself, but still didn’t understand how to tell people that I was not just someone with a lot of money but that I was different but I don’t think anyone would understand what I was going through or talking about.

In the corner of my eye, I saw Ryan smiling with that smile that could lighten up the world, just not mine anymore.  My heart was telling me to break up with him but my gut was saying not to.

Ryan wrapped his arms around me I felt protected by him but not safe he wasn’t the one anymore to me. I had to tell him though. I didn’t what to tell me but I need to he needs to know the truth. The truth was he wasn’t the guy for me and I didn’t love him anymore.

Chapter Three: Harry Crawford

Today was the day I was taking Nina Rhodes out for dinner. The girl of my dreams, I was taking her out. I knew one day she would say ‘yes’ to a date with me. But I didn’t know it would be now. This gave me a rush of excitement just thinking that I was taking Nina Rhodes on a date. It may sound like I am acting like a little girl but Nina has and still is the girl of my dreams and probably will always be.

‘Hey man, you look happy.’ Said Sam smiling right at me.

‘You must know why?’ I replied eyeing Nina quickly.

‘Oh, right, Nina was talking about it when she got back yesterday.’

‘Really Nina was talking about me with your mother.’ I replied in shock.

I wasn’t expected to be a conversation at the Rhodes family dinner table. That was an honour. Me, Harry Crawford, a topic at their family dinner.

‘Oh, Yeah in great details too.’ Smiled Sam.

‘Thanks for that.’ I smiled and then walked away from Sam as Ariel began to come into view. Showing that it was my time to leave.


As I backed away from Sam, I wondered into Zayn and guess who else that’s right Ellie.

‘Watch it, weirdo.’ Shouted Zayn in my ear hole

‘Stay away from Nina.’ Screamed Ellie

‘She is dating Ryan and she would never date someone like you.’ Zayn said like he was having a panic attack just thinking about the thought.

‘Your never going to get into the inner-circle so stop trying, you freak.’  Whispered Ellie.

‘I know that I am ever going to be good enough for Nina, but neither are you guys.’ I screamed this at the top of my lungs and walked away.


I knew that I was never going to be good enough for someone like Nina, but I thought I could try and make her happy like she made me happy every time she would walk into the room. I think everyone in the year heard what I had to say to Ellie and Zayn. Now my life is going to be hell. I just hope that Nina didn’t hear any of that.



This was going to be the best evening of my life, I was taking the most attractive girl in the world. I was spending my entire life savings on this date.

‘ OMG, you look like a gentleman, wearing a suit and tie for the first time in forever.’ grinned Ariel.

‘Thanks, do I not look amazing all the time.’ I chuckled at her.


‘Taxi.’ I yelled at the top of my voice.

I sat in silence in the taxi so nervous. My palms were sweating and my knees were weak, I felt like I was about to collapse. I went to knock on the door of her mansion, which was triple the size of mine.


The maid, I believe, opened the door. Sam a few minutes later came rushing down the huge stairwell like in the movies.


‘Your looking sharp! ‘ Exclaimed Sam

‘Like always.’ I said smirking.


Then the most attractive girl walked down the stairs, she was wearing a stunning red dress that flowed like the ocean. She walked down the stairs like a princess waiting for her coronation.


‘Hey Harry,’ she said as she smiled while tucking a single strand of hair behind her ear.

‘Hey.’ I mumbled still clear enough for her to hear it though.

‘Nina come in the living room.’ Called her mother I believe.

‘Coming mother.’

‘And bring Harry in too.’ She called out after.

As we walked into the living room, her mother was sitting a leather couch drinking wine. She was pale however she had similar features to Nina. Just looked a bit older.


‘Nina you look amazing. Likewise, you do too Harry.’ Smiled her mother

‘Thank you, Mrs Rhodes.’ In a very polite voice, I replied

‘Oh Please, call me Emma.’

‘Okay, thanks, Emma.’ I said nervously.

‘Mum we need to get going now.’ Said, Nina, as she leaned into Emma giving her a kiss on the forehead.

‘Bye sweetie have a fun evening! Take good care of her’ Emma called out behind us.


Chapter Four: Nina Rhodes

He was taking me far away from my reality. I don’t know where I was at all. It was distance place in Brooklyn. I don’t remember where. We went to see a band called ‘The Pretty Reckless,’ I have never heard of them till after Harry took me to see them. He was so happy like he was in his own bubble and I was being allowed into his bubble. Harry was in his element and he was free, and so was I. I was able to be free with Harry more than I have been able to be free with Ryan or anyone else.


Harry then took me to a restaurant called Sal’s.

‘This place does the greatest food on earth for a very cheap price.’ He said smiling.

‘This place is very different from where I usually go.’ I replied in a happy tune.

‘I Know it is my favourite restaurant here in Brooklyn. I need to know why you went on this date with me?’ Harry said in frustration.

‘I went on this date as I thought it would be fun and I was right. Why do you ask?’

‘Cos of what I said on Thursday.’ Harry murmured weakly.

‘Oh right, that little speech, Ellie told me.’ I responded.

I forgot about that, I completely cleared that from my mind.

Harry is the opposite, he is completely different from me and I enjoyed all the places he has taken m. They have been new and exciting experiences. He is amazing he has a new and old soul. Harry can keep me guessing for days, it is exhilarating. Harry makes me feel alive.



After a pleasant dinner, which was surprisingly good. We walked on the beach and Harry fell over and he rushed to the light crystal like the ocean.


‘Harry your phone is ringing.’ I called out to him from the beach.

‘Coming,’ Harry replied as he slowly climbed out of the ocean. I never noticed that Harry Crawford had muscles. Not the small pathetic type but not Zac Efron type a little in between and he looked fit.


‘Thanks, Nina.’ He said cheerily as I gave his phone to him.

‘Hey, dad, what’s up?’

‘Alright, we’re coming.’

‘Yes, Nina and I.’

As he ended the phone call, he had a worried look in his eye.

‘Nina, I need to go,’ Harry said anxiously while putting on his Tee-Shirt.

‘I am coming with you.’ I sternly said.

‘Fine.’ He said as he paced towards the car.

He gripped the steering wheel, placed his foot on the accelerator. We went 0 -60 in under one minute I believe.

‘What happened between you and your dad?’ I said

‘He calling saying that Ariel has been taken to the hospital.’


As he pulled up to the hospital he parked the car quickly. He ran out of the car, while I was pacing behind Harry.

‘Harry, wait up!’ I was screaming at Harry, but he was already running down to Ariel’s room. Once I regained my breath I followed behind Harry quickly. When we got to Ariel’s room. I waited outside as I didn’t want to intrude.



© 2018 rgupta


Author's Note

rgupta
Leave comments to help me

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

240 Views
Added on March 7, 2018
Last Updated on March 24, 2018
Tags: Romance, Teen