A Wrinkle In Time

A Wrinkle In Time

A Poem by Riss Ryker
"

You can never go back...

"

Loneliness is: standing on a crowded street corner, invisible, unheard. 

Softer than a rose petal, your tears fall on satin cheeks, unnoticed. 

Each tear an interpretation. 

Falling, unheeded, liquid sadness. 

A ghost in a city filled with life, destined to walk among the living. 

Each step mimics life, bringing you no closer to being. 

Like a beacon on a hill, overlooking an ocean of tears, you wait. 

Eternity echoes like a heartbeat, filling your ears with hope. 

Each moment in time is like forever in a dream. 

Endless coffee shops and sidewalk satire, growing wary of the chase. 

Time catches up, armed with wrinkles and weariness 

until one day you look, 

and see, 

and say, 

who am I? 

As autumn bows before winter, youth crumbles before time, 

Stamping its foot like a wayward child. 

Time blinked, its lashes spreading memories across your face. 

‘ I remember you’, it says, scarring your face with experience. 

Time unfolds its memories for you to behold. 

The lonely path you’ve chosen laid bare,

vulnerable for all to see. 

If only…I wish… I should have… Why did I…

May I go back.

© 2015 Riss Ryker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A thought provoking read that speaks to one such as I in that my youth has fled me, to leave me only hindsight to contemplate ... Isolation is a very human condition that can be experienced in the midst of a great crowd. This too I have known in my life ... Your heart penned to page amply expresses feelings that many feel but fear speaking lest all the world know how frail each of us really is in depths of that essence called the human heart ... Love the title ... Reminds me of a book, as a child, by the same title, a fantasy novel and Nebula award winner, that gave a little hope to young boy lost and alone in a dysfunctional family where he never felt he belonged ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A thought provoking read that speaks to one such as I in that my youth has fled me, to leave me only hindsight to contemplate ... Isolation is a very human condition that can be experienced in the midst of a great crowd. This too I have known in my life ... Your heart penned to page amply expresses feelings that many feel but fear speaking lest all the world know how frail each of us really is in depths of that essence called the human heart ... Love the title ... Reminds me of a book, as a child, by the same title, a fantasy novel and Nebula award winner, that gave a little hope to young boy lost and alone in a dysfunctional family where he never felt he belonged ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

rich, descriptive, enchanting use of language.. It transports you into the imagery which I love... This was one heck of a ride you had me on... it took my emotions a little bit of everywhere.. filled me with dreamy hope, then dread, dark loneliness, then regret and "what if's"... wheeeew.. make ya dizzy.. Time is something you never have enough of when you need it, and when you wish it would hurry up, it drags on forever.. one thing no one can control.. This is the first piece of yours that I have read, and I must say, it makes me excited to read more.. very well done..

on a side note..

"Endless coffee shops and sidewalk satire, growing wearing of the chase."... did you mean "weary" instead of "wearing?"

Posted 9 Years Ago


Riss Ryker

9 Years Ago

What a wonderful review, April, thank you. Also, thank for catching that! I'll edit it right away..... read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

334 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 21, 2015
Last Updated on January 21, 2015
Tags: aging, time, regrets, sorrow, loneliness

Author

Riss Ryker
Riss Ryker

Amsterdam, NY



About
Riss Ryker is a self proclaimed introvert, a dreamer, and believes in kindness to others. She loves to grow flowers, herbs, and hang out with her three dogs and her python named Blossom. A new writer .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..