Conflict with God

Conflict with God

A Story by Bishop R. Joseph Owles

The most common sin I see, and sometimes fall victim to, is the thought that a relationship with God is easier than any other relationship. And when we do acknowledge difficulty, we usually just blame ourselves and keep God free of any responsibility. Most, I think, do this because they have been trained to never question God, or just blindly accept what they decide is God.

Abraham questioned God. God came to destroy Sodom, and Abraham haggled him down to if there were only 10 good men in the city, the city would survive. Unfortunately there were not even 10 good men--good being hospitable and generous, not heterosexual (as it is often incorrectly interpreted). But Abraham questioned God. He argued with God.

Moses also questioned and argued. Moses was receiving the Ten Commandments and the people were making the Golden Calf. God decided He was going to kill them all and make a new people from Moses. Moses argued with God. He questioned God. And in spite of that, Moses is said to have talked to God as one friend talks to another.

My friends question me. They argue with me. That's part of the friend process. My friends are complex people living complex lives as am I. So talking and interacting with them sometimes leads to questioning, sometimes to arguing, sometimes to periods where we don't want to be around each other for a while. The same has been true with family. The same has been true with lovers. This, for me at least, is a reality of being in relationship--at least an important relationship. Superficial ones don't have the same import; and therefore, they do not bring as much potential conflict. They also do not bring as much comfort, or joy, or comradery, or intimacy.

If my relationship with God is non-threatening and void of questions or even ooccasional conflict or arguments, I may allow myself the temptation to believe that I am spiritual and beyond questioning or conflict. But, more probably, it may be because God isn't real to me, or at best, a superficial relationship. But, if God is real to me--really real--if God is a person with whom I have a serious, important relationship, then God and I are going to butt heads, not because I am a bad person, or a bad follower, or unspiritual, but because I am a friend, a lover, a family member with God. God is important, and important relationships matter, and because they matter, they are often uncomfortable and conflicted.

If God is real to me, then God is just as complex and unpredictable as anyone else I know. I am subject to all the same things with God that I am subject to in any other important relationship.

© 2013 Bishop R. Joseph Owles


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 7, 2013
Last Updated on February 7, 2013
Tags: Bible, Jesus Christ, Church, God, heaven, earth, Holy Spirit, Christian, Christianity, teaching, apostles, ministry, kingdom, Catholic, belief, healing, pain, conflict, argue, friend

Author

Bishop R. Joseph Owles
Bishop R. Joseph Owles

Alloway, NJ



About
Powered by Conduit Mobile LoveMyProfile.com more..

Writing