Atheists Too?

Atheists Too?

A Story by Bishop R. Joseph Owles

When Jesus says "No one comes to the Father except by me" and "I am the way, the truth, and the life," and when it is claimed that through Jesus, all are saved, does one have to believe in Jesus for these statements to be true?

While a lot of moderate and Liberal Christians, as well as atheists and people from other religions are happy to hear that the current Pope is not so negative and narrow-minded as some previous Popes, many Conservative Christians and Evangelicals seem to be upset by this Pope's tolerance and potential inclusivity.

All things fall because of gravity. If I don't believe in gravity, does gravity stop being true? If I don't believe in viruses or bacteria, will I then be free from illness?

Can't Jesus present an atheist to the Father quite as easily as He can an Evangelical, or a Catholic, or any other flavor of Christian? Does coming to the Father by way of Jesus become any less true because someone does not believe in Jesus. Wouldn't that make grace even more... graceful... by Jesus welcoming even those who never believed in Him, or even campaigned actively against Him, and presenting those people to His Father, who is also the Father of us all, believers and non-believers alike?

I think it's time for Christians to stop pretending as if they are in some exclusive club, and it is certainly time for Christians to stop pretending as if they are on the Membership Committee of that club.

Whether or not God does in fact welcome all is irrelevant, because God has made it clear to me that I am to welcome all -- and I have a hard time accepting that God would ask something from me that He would not do Himself.

© 2013 Bishop R. Joseph Owles


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

some churchy friends told me a while back that God wouldn't hear my prayers because I am, of course, a sinner. I was shocked at first. I have regular talks with God and I never felt like I was being ignored.

It was something about Jesus having to deliver the messages on my behalf. It takes all kinds, right?

I'm glad you posted this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Thoughtful words Father Joseph. It seems you have a ministry here spreading a sincere message of inclusion. I also include you in the human race as a distant family member - though not a father figure.
Some atheists too believe in a brotherhood of man, though not based on religion. The common ancestry of all humans and all of life within a natural universe may one day replace the need for inclusion into a powerful myth which was formerly the only paradigm in town.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Bishop R. Joseph Owles

10 Years Ago

There's nothing more important than mythology. Human beings must have meaning or we cease to exist. .. read more
Robert Lindsay

10 Years Ago

I wrote a large and friendly reply but the PC lost it. Never mind. The essence of it is that I liked.. read more
Bishop R. Joseph Owles

10 Years Ago

All mythology is based on "evidence"; the myths that endure are the ones built upon the best evidenc.. read more
some churchy friends told me a while back that God wouldn't hear my prayers because I am, of course, a sinner. I was shocked at first. I have regular talks with God and I never felt like I was being ignored.

It was something about Jesus having to deliver the messages on my behalf. It takes all kinds, right?

I'm glad you posted this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

537 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on May 24, 2013
Last Updated on May 24, 2013
Tags: Bible, Jesus Christ, Church, God, heaven, earth, Holy Spirit, Christian, Christianity, teaching, apostles, ministry, kingdom, Catholic, belief, Lent, atheist, humble, umility, prayer

Author

Bishop R. Joseph Owles
Bishop R. Joseph Owles

Alloway, NJ



About
Powered by Conduit Mobile LoveMyProfile.com more..

Writing