Do not cry. Be strong

Do not cry. Be strong

A Poem by Ryan Watson
"

Morning Musings

"

Do not cry. Be strong. When the thick, horsehair rope digs into the flesh of your neck and they drag you through the gravel, the coarse stone digging and clawing at your back as it exposes muscle and bleeds you, the whole time their makeshift noose of hate constricts your airways; remember these words.

 

Do not cry. Be strong. You are the bastardized son of chieftains, kings, and pharaohs; of Mandela, King, and X; of Turner, Till, and all who are real. Where muscle envelops spine you have iron entangled with a crowbar. Stand proud. And be black.

 

Do not cry. Be strong. Do not scoff or sneer when icy blue eyes look into your pools of s**t brown and claim to understand you, refuse the temptation to reflect upon rancid breath in your face uttering words of hate and prejudice telling what YOU consider to be YOUR woman that she can’t bring monkeys into that establishment.

 

Do not cry. Be strong. Remember these words. They are all that should dance through your mind when syllables spill from her lips and remind you of a different time. Do not cry. As those words take form, maliciously putrid and evil, singeing the hairs in your nose as they pour scorching coals down your throat and dare you not to to utter rebuttals with equal parts hate. Be strong. Even as the curvaceous figure wrapped around your body warps into an unkind anchor and she attempts to drag you down into the pits of despair because she herself is too weak to stay afloat in a sea of mundane emotion.

  

Do not cry. Be strong. Innocent and jovial, smile back into that little boy’s face despite knowing his place in this country of false fate and perverse hate. The melanin in his skin will make him akin to you, forced to die and be reborn before he is ready. And these words you will sing to him too for inside of both of you there is a little boy who has no home, no hope, no love, no chance, no rhyme, nor reason that can save him from the harsh touch of these winter seasons.

 

Do not cry. Be strong. This world will not allow for your weakness. It will not offer you a crutch if you are slight and petite. Be big. For those who remain that little boy die and wither away as he should’ve.

 

Do not cry. Be strong. For none will cry for you. And none will stand if you do not.

 

Do not cry. Be strong. 

© 2017 Ryan Watson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

in the future, kids will be analyzing this in their english classes.

Posted 6 Years Ago


A piece inspiring to don't cry on problems and face them... Great one Ryan....wait...its wow....

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 8, 2017
Last Updated on July 8, 2017