Helen's Bridge

Helen's Bridge

A Story by reece
"

A woman's ghost haunts an old bridge. A story about my experience on Helen's Bridge.

"

        Helen's Bridge is a particularly fascinating location for me, mainly because I have been there... And I have "experienced" Helen's Bridge firsthand.  It has been nearly a decade ago but still it remains in my recent memory bank because of its strange eeriness.  

        I remember late one evening early fall, my friend called me up "yo, buddy what's up?  Wanna go on an adventure?"  Naturally my response was hell yes.  So off we went with a small amount of fear mixed with a whole lot of excitement.  We were young, free, and hungry for experience.

       Now, a little about this mysteriously haunted attraction.  Zealandia Bridge AKA Helen's Bridge was built in 1909 as a carrage way to provide access to Zealandia castle.  The bridge was designed by R.S. Smith for the owner of the Zealandia estate.  John Evans Brown, from Pensylvania had found his wealth raising sheep back in New Zealand where he was originally from.  Located on Beaucatcher mountain in Asheville, NC.  It even caught fire in the late 1900's, and in 1998, the demolition of the bridge was considered due to the failing structure, but was saved.  The story goes that Helen wanders the lands around the bridge, wearing a long flowering gown, asking passerby if they have seen her daughter.  Whilst another version claims Helen was the mistress of John Evans Brown.  I also remember reading a version stating that Brown threw Helen's daughter into the fire place because it was also his daugter, perhaps the child's existence jeopardized his current marriage.  Neither is known for sure but what is known is that Helen hung herself from Zealania's bridge due to grief for her diceased daughter.

      I remember that night, I was'nt high on any drugs, or at that moment under the influence of alcohol.  As soon as my friend and I stepped on that bridge the weirdness began...

      Stay tuned for part II..

© 2016 reece


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on November 29, 2016
Last Updated on November 29, 2016
Tags: horror, suspense, mystery, ghost, story, haunted, dead, evil, scary, scared, pain, loss, sad, depressed, suicide, scar, hurt, harm, touch, grief