The Board Meeting, or, An Exercise in Patience

The Board Meeting, or, An Exercise in Patience

A Story by Finder's Keeper
"

A narrator, a board meeting. Random first sentence generator.

"
The urge to interrupt him before he finished was overwhelming.
I stubbed my eraser to the legal pad in front of me and rubbed at a doodle instead. 
It was my third month as the new, and youngest ever *ahem*, Member of the (Very Important) Board and this man, this... person, was slowly breaking down my very will to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide. What should have been a jewel in my Professional Bragging Rights was now a jewel stuck in the mud of my mental anguish. 
He. Was. So. Boring. 
What was he talking about? 
Was he even aware that this is a Museum board where we're supposed to get things done and not a display in said museum where we stare at each other through glass eyes while dust collects on our shoulders and hair and shoes??
Obviously not. 
I faked a neck stretch as I craned to see the clock. Four long minutes between me and the relative freedom of drafting a grant proposal. 
Alex, an older gentleman on my left, caught my eye as he pushed a lint fuzz off the table. We shared heartfelt, albeit brief moment of for-the-love-of-god-make-it-stop bonding, and then both resigned ourselves to faking attention for the last minutes of the monthly meeting.
I was sure a depressed French student somewhere was just finishing Huis Clos...

© 2015 Finder's Keeper


Author's Note

Finder's Keeper
That's it. A short one. Huis Clos is a French existentialist play by Sartre where which three characters are punished in the afterlife by being locked into a room together for eternity.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great piece. Thanks for sharing. I like It.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
1 Review
Added on March 17, 2015
Last Updated on March 17, 2015

Author

Finder's Keeper
Finder's Keeper

New York, NY



About
Small cat, big city. I'm a twenty-something professional, happily married and happily childless. I've always loved to write and I'm learning to do it in new ways. Striving to be the best strong, i.. more..

Writing