Buddhism: Water in a Glass and Oneness

Buddhism: Water in a Glass and Oneness

A Story by Rogie-Dodge
"

a little thought experiment in oneness

"
You've probably seen movies like "Freaky Friday".  Two people are cursed, or touch a magic object, and overnight they find they have swapped bodies, with usually humorous results, and at the end they learn a lesson about themselves and things get put right.

Of course, to make it interesting, these movies cheat a bit.  The characters take their brains with them .. so its not a complete swap of bodies .. its just body-less-brain.

Imagine, now, if we did the job properly.

One morning you and your friend wake up, but you had magically swapped bodies *including* your brains.  The whole sack of skin that you call 'you'.

That would mean, when you woke up, you would have all your friend's memories and experiences.  You would have all her beliefs.  You would have all her emotions.  You would have all her thoughts.  You would have her little voice in your head narrating what was going on.  You would have no memory of 'you', as that memory is still in your body within your brain, your friend would be experiencing 'you' instead.

What would be the result of this change?

There would really be no difference at all.  Noone else would see it.  You would not see it.  It would be as if nothing happened.

That is why they don't do that in the movies.  Two people waking up and still being who they were the day before wouldn't be terrible interesting as a plot.

So why would it be as if nothing happened?

Because nothing *did* happen.

Let me give you another little thought experiment to explain.

Imagine you have a green glass and a red glass, each with water in it.  The water in the green glass looks green.  The water in the red glass looks red.  If you swap the water from one glass to another, there is no difference: the water now in the green glass looks green and the water now in the red glass looks red.   That's because the water is clear and pure and there is no difference between the water in one glass and the water in another: it is all the one water, just in different glasses.

Your consciousness and your friends consciousness are not separate independent entities.  You are the one consciousness in two different bodies.  After you swap you are *still* one consciousness in two different bodies.  Being in different bodies means the you have different experiences, different memories, different thoughts.  You end up thinking you are really separate individuals, but that is just an illusion within our brains that we call 'ego'. 

We are the one consciousness manifesting in different bodies; we are the same clear and pure water in different glasses.

One day, your glass will crack and break and can no longer hold the water.  That same water is still in every other glass.  The part of the water that was in your glass flows to another new glass; another new body to experience.  Nothing is lost.

© 2014 Rogie-Dodge


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What happens when i look in the mirror and see my friend staring back. or have i missed the point.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Rogie-Dodge

10 Years Ago

The point is, you won't know that you aren't you. Everything in your skin-bag of squishiness that y.. read more
MAD ENGLISHMAN

10 Years Ago

OK. But if we retain our memories won't they include the previous image of ourselves. OR are you say.. read more
Rogie-Dodge

10 Years Ago

If we swap bodies, the bodies include the brains where the memories are. So we will only (in our ne.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Added on March 19, 2014
Last Updated on April 7, 2014
Tags: Philosophy, Buddhism, Life, Spirituality, Meaning, Self, Emptiness, Identity, Oneness

Author

Rogie-Dodge
Rogie-Dodge

Newcastle, NSW, Australia



About
Just me. Got some major issues to deal with. Geeky, Aspie, Techy, Cheeky. === I'll be going away in a month or two. Maybe for a number of years. I won't have access to internet for putting.. more..

Writing
Waiting Waiting

A Poem by Rogie-Dodge


Two ways Two ways

A Poem by Rogie-Dodge