Lovely Cioppino

Lovely Cioppino

A Story by Roland Petrov
"

Cioppino is a tomato based seafood stew that originated in the Italian community in San Francisco, California.

"

I set the table for two elegantly: white tablecloth, cloth napkins, real silverware, my beautiful curved gold plated candlestick holder with two tall and slim green candles, and a crystal vase holding a dozen fragrant red roses.


It was going to be a very special evening, and I chose to make cioppino for our festive meal. I decided to peel and seed fresh tomatoes for it, instead of using canned. For the seafood, I let the fish market be my inspiration. It was a cold and cloudy winter day, but I brightened it up by returning with some lovely fresh rock cod, live Penn Cove mussels, large Mexican shrimp with their shells intact, and a few snow crab legs. I chopped a fennel bulb to sauté with the onion for that special hint of licorice. He has a discerning palette, and I know he's going to love my cioppino.


I cooked it with love; my handsome prince is going to taste that. As I stood in front of the mirror in my baby blue evening gown, brushing my hair, I wondered what he'd be wearing. I expected him to dress up, but I wasn't sure he would go for a suit.


Almost time. My heart fluttered nervously. This was going to herald a new phase in our relationship.


I heard him fly up the steps, ring the bell once, and then his key slid into the lock at the same time as I reached for the doorknob. I stepped aside as he pushed the door open and entered. He was wearing an oversized sweatshirt, sneakers, and shorts. I hugged him and kissed him.


My twelve-year-old son had walked from his dad's place to mine for the very first time. We had separated in late autumn, and his dad had custody. It was Christmas Eve, and he and I were going to have cioppino garnished with parsley.

© 2014 Roland Petrov


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an amazing piece! Your use of words to describe imagery is beautiful as I could feel everything described. A high note was hit at the end as emotional strings were pulled. Short, simple, a wee tragic, but sweet. Overall, magnificent write Petrov! :)

~ Kitten

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Ah, this shows your fine, delicate pen -- so simple, so mysterious, so filled with pathos. There are only a couple of tiny points I'd make. First, for some reason, when I read "baby blue evening gown," I did not internalize that it was evening wear -- maybe because of the "baby blue," I thought nightgown. Perhaps I'm the only one who has made that error, but that set me up for thinking that it was a gay couple because of the use of "he" later on. Maybe "cocktail dress" would clear up the confusion -- or perhaps you want the confusion there to keep the suspense. The only other tiny point was the use of the adjective "lovely." For me, it's an over-used word and doesn't really describe the nature of much of anything. Again that's just me. I love your writing -- even though I generally don't appreciate poetry, I'll have to check out some of yours since you seem to write more poetry than prose. Post another short story soon and let me know when you do.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

8 Years Ago

Thanks, Taylor! I appreciate the comments; you have a keen eye.
another good one. different but cute. great descriptions and a lovely twist. I'm a sucker for unexpected endings. never saw that coming.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love the way you mix cookery with storytelling and the twist in the tale was definitely unexpected but refreshing - like a twist of lemon or lime on the finished dish.

Have you read 'Like Water for Chocolate'? Maybe you could write something similar.



Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That sounds like a great Christmas Eve meal to me. I will certainly think of those succulent shrimp and fresh tomatoes next Wednesday as I eat my hard boiled egg...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Roland Petrov

9 Years Ago

If I didn't have to work on Christmas I'd come to San Antonio and cook you a festive meal! I'm actua.. read more
Hmm it is written well and the twist at the end is nice.

I'm sorry I cant go into more technical detail on the story. It's simply because I can't find much wrong with it. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an amazing piece! Your use of words to describe imagery is beautiful as I could feel everything described. A high note was hit at the end as emotional strings were pulled. Short, simple, a wee tragic, but sweet. Overall, magnificent write Petrov! :)

~ Kitten

Posted 9 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 17, 2014
Last Updated on December 17, 2014
Tags: stew, romance, family, Christmas

Author

Roland Petrov
Roland Petrov

Desert Hot Springs, CA



About
Every type of school I went to was in a different country on a different continent: primary school in England, junior high in Ethiopia, high school in Lebanon, and university in the United States. I'v.. more..

Writing