Story of an Hour

Story of an Hour

A Story by Rosa Williams
"

The reader was led to believe that Mr. Mallard had died. We would not have been able to "read" how she felt about her husband's death if Mr. Mallard had not died.

"

Ms. Mallard has a heart condition, so they told her gently that her husband was killed in a train accident.

At first she cries, but then she goes upstairs to alone. She spends time enjoying the nature outside her window. She reveals that she actually feels "free, free free!" from her husband. Without her husband she would be able to be intelligent and have her own thoughts. Her sister gets her to come downstairs. Mr. Mallard surprisingly walks through the door; he wasn't in a train crash. Mrs. Mallard dies of a heart attack. The doctor says it's from joy; but we know that she died from sadness that her husband still lives.

© 2021 Rosa Williams


Author's Note

Rosa Williams
By using the words "had loved," we can see how she felt about her husband and how she sometimes (but not always) loved him. I believe the author was attempting to convey through these words that, despite her initial reluctance to marry him, she grew to love him over time, and that his death made her realize how much she didn't and how liberated she felt without him.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Engaging story! I found the truncated sentences, and twists and turns very attention-grabbing.
It's also very fast paced, so I would suggest breaking the text apart so the reader can more easily follow the story.
In any case, I thought it was a marvellous read. :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Am I THAT out of touch with political correctness? Can a "Ms." be married?

This story shows the fickleness of married life. Me? I'll stay single.

Charlie, hvysmker

Posted 2 Years Ago


I love ironic humor in writing. It is such as skill as a storyteller to have. I could not stop laughing even after the ending sentence. Bravo! You deserve a standing ovation for this gem of a tale. Short and sweet, and hilarious in its end. Thank you for sharing your work.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Engaging story! I found the truncated sentences, and twists and turns very attention-grabbing.
It's also very fast paced, so I would suggest breaking the text apart so the reader can more easily follow the story.
In any case, I thought it was a marvellous read. :)

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 18, 2021
Last Updated on June 18, 2021
Tags: Hour

Author

Rosa Williams
Rosa Williams

Old Forge, NY



About
I write whatever my mind and heart can feel! more..

Writing