Yes

Yes

A Story by roses101

“Will you marry me?” four-year old me stares at the boy in front of me. There I am in preschool, asking this poor boy for his hand in marriage. I mean how long could “for life” be?

            Why won’t he answer me? I have been waiting for three ENTIRE seconds. This should be a straightforward thing; I ask him and he responds with a yes. Who’s ever heard of anyone saying “no” to a marriage proposal?

            Present day me cringes, thinking of what could have happened. In fact, I don’t even remember his name. I think it started with an O. “Yes,” he said. If he had said no believe me when I tell you I would have remembered his name. Wow, this reminds me of that song (Last Name). Except in this story I’m not drunk; I’m just four.

 

********

            Back to present day, now. The four-year old me had a happy ending a short engagement but a “yes” all the same.

I can’t help the fact that my mind keeps going there. I am about to walk into the restaurant and ask him to marry me. I just need to build up the courage to get up off this bench and walk in. I will admit that the reason for me not getting up is only half caused by the fear of rejection. The other half is because of my fear that when I stand, my a-little-too-short dress will reveal something I’d rather it didn’t.

Calm down, take a deep breath, and hold your dress down. You can do this. I reach down and grab my black clutch with a single ruby red rhinestone on the clasp, the color of the stone matches my lips perfectly. The streetlights glow shines down on my hair as I slowly get up. Red pounces out from the auburn nest I call my hair like a cat pouncing from the grass onto its unsuspecting prey.

The heels on my shoes clap the ground as if applauding me as I enter into the dimly lit oriental restaurant. Spicy ginger and peanut sauce aromas shock my senses as I open the door. My footsteps sync with my heart beat as I see him. He sits in the corner, barely noticeable from the front of the restaurant. The hostess swiftly moves through the swarms of people standing waiting for their tables; my knees are ready to buckle under my weight and the weight of what I’m about to do.

“You look beautiful.” He whispers into my ear as I sit down next to him. In my hurried rush to sit down before I fell onto myself, I had forgotten about my skimpy little dress and how to properly sit.

“Thank you, you look nice too.” Deep breath, you can do this. If the Four-year old you could do this with what’s his face, the adult you can do this with the love of your life. “I have something to ask you. I was going to wait till after dinner but I want to hear your answer now.” I move the clutch up off my lap and onto the table. I open it up and produce the little box. The soft maroon velvet outside is the complete opposite of the two-carat diamond rock that lies within. At least now if he says yes I know that I will love the ring.

I open the box and lean in to him. My voice refuses to cooperate with my brain when my mouth opens and nothing comes out. “I would kneel but I don’t think I can. Ryan you are the sweetest person I know and also the only person I know who will put up with me. You lit up my life when I was surrounded by darkness. I love you. Will you marry me?” The words leave my lips quickly and quietly.

“Yes.” Why is that all that they say? And with a deep sigh he breathes, “I love you too.”

“Put that ring on my finger and kiss me,” I can feel the color in my face spreading back out as it had moved onto the middle of my cheeks and my knees getting strong with the heavy weight being lifted. He picked up the velvet box from my clammy hands and pulled out the ring. The flames of the candle danced to the calming music in the background in an intricate design through the beautifully cut diamond.

With the ring on my finger, all I can think is I made four-year old me proud.

© 2014 roses101


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is rather nice. English may be your least favorite subject, but you must do well in it, because I didn't fina any mistakes.

Posted 10 Years Ago


roses101

10 Years Ago

Thank you for the nice comment and spending the time to write it. I had some editing help to insure .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Added on January 16, 2014
Last Updated on January 16, 2014

Author

roses101
roses101

NJ



About
I love writing stories and trying to write something that nobody had heard or read before. I accept all friend requests. (Wow, that sounds desperate) more..

Writing
Today Today

A Chapter by roses101