Of Water And Marmalade

Of Water And Marmalade

A Story by Ross Brannigan
"

A little preview of a story I sort of spontaneously came up with and started writing within ten minutes of the idea's conception.

"
Once upon a time there was the sea.
Now, I know this is going to sound whole-heartedly ludicrous but there was time when the sea was blue; yes blue! You're probably a little miffed at this idea of a "blue sea" but trust me I will explain. So, in this period which we have decided to call the "Once-Upon-A-Time" time, I was thirty-two years old. Although, to be honest, my age is hardly relevant. In fact, before I get ahead of myself, do you still speak the language I am writing in? Things have flitted by at an unbelievable rate that I'd be surprised if anything is still preserved. But, my dear friend, I digress.
There was once a time when you could strip off all of your clothes and slide into a bath of warm, steamy, bubbly water. Trust me, water. Water filled up the canyons that gouge their way across the world dividing the countries. If you went to the beach - oh! The sandy beaches! - then you may have been in the same company as those participating in a sport we used to call "surfing". People would "surf" on oddly triangular-shaped boards of sometimes carbon fiber, or  fiber glass, or polystyrene, or some other variation. To voice my own experience I could never surf for the life of me. I'm speaking to you as if you know nothing but it is important you know all the details of the past in order to comprehend the situation of your present. People used water for a multitude of things: drinking, watering plants, washing, they used to boil things called rice and pasta in it to soften them. In short, people loved water. But one of the most important things about water: it fell from the sky. If you've ever taken Science or had any interest in weather you will perhaps know about something called "evaporation". Essentially, the Sun would heat up the water, raising it into the sky in the form of vapour. It would then form water droplets that would then accumulate to form clouds. Once they were heavy enough, the clouds would drop the rain, essentially. But what if that cycle stops halfway? What if the rain doesn't fall again? Something I am sure you are all too familiar with. But, that is what this story is about.

© 2012 Ross Brannigan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is interesting so far, I hope you continue :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Added on December 14, 2012
Last Updated on December 14, 2012
Tags: ross brannigan, nonsense, random, stories, story, marmalade, global warming

Author

Ross Brannigan
Ross Brannigan

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Hey guys! My name is Ross and I'm from Scotland. I'm currently writing a book that has no title at the moment! I will be posting random pieces of it to avoid people copying the plot. I enjoy gam.. more..

Writing