Character Profile Sheet

Character Profile Sheet

A by Rosa Sophia
"

This may help you with your writing...

"

I have taught several classes on Fiction Writing to high school students, and I found that many people have difficulty giving their characters "depth."  Many people seem to give up and mold the character after themselves.  If you have difficulty with creating personalities, try answering the following questions.  Also try thinking about the quirks and the "little things" that people do that make them who they are. 

What is your character's habits? What are their fears? What makes them who they are? 

Note:  The terms that I mention are in relation to Joseph Campbell's work (Hero With a Thousand Faces).  The Anti-Hero is the hero that doesn't really want to get involved, but is somehow coerced or talked into it.  In my classes, I discussed Joseph Campbell with my students and I highly suggest that you read his stuff. 

Tip: Go to a diner or a bar.  Watch everyone and take notes. 

If this article was helpful to you, and you are serious about writing, please join my group "The Little Things Matter" --  http://www.writerscafe.org/groups/2730/


Your Character’s Name:

Age:

     

  1. Location: (Where does this person live? Where does the story take place? Feel free to make note of multiple locations.)


      
  2. What does this person do for income? If they don’t have a job, what else do they do? (Example: Collect unemployment, play a guitar on the streets for money or play video games all day in their mother’s basement.)


     
  3. What are this person’s likes?
  4.  

  5. What are their dislikes?
  6.  

     

  7. What are their inner strengths and weaknesses?
  8.  

  9. What is the character’s "Call to Adventure?" (Examples: His girlfriend is abducted by kidnappers, her dog runs away and she chases after it or the family’s house burns down and they are trying to figure out where to go. This is the catalyst that that begins the Hero’s path.)


     
  10. Is your character an Anti-Hero or a Hero? (An example of an Anti-Hero would be Han Solo from Star Wars. Throughout the movies, Han is very cynical and doesn’t want to help anyone. His reluctance and nonchalant attitude makes him an Anti-Hero.)


     
  11. What factors cause your character to want to complete the Adventure, or in the case of the Anti-Hero, what factors make your character so reluctant to be involved?
  12.  

  13. In this story, what is most important to your main character? 
  14.  

  15. What secondary characters in the story have the most impact on your main character and why?
  16.  

  17. What is the most important factor that drives your character to succeed, whether he or she wants to be involved or not?

 

© 2009 Rosa Sophia


My Review

Would you like to review this ?
Login | Register




Reviews

I always like reading "character development worksheets"
A question I ask is, "what would this character be willing to sacrifice for their goal?"
I like question 10. I think people sometimes let side characters happen as needed, and miss out on the opportunity to structure.

Thanks for sharing.

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1203 Views
1 Review
Added on September 22, 2009

Author

Rosa Sophia
Rosa Sophia

North Palm Beach, FL



About
I am :: A professional editor. Please see my website for more information. My rates are very affordable. I am an author. My first Mystery novel will be for sale later this year. Check out .. more..

Writing