I'm trying to understand...everything

I'm trying to understand...everything

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

A finite creature's quest for the unknowable

"

In the dark of my room,
here I am lying,
lying and asking,
lying and thinking.
I'm trying to understand...

everything!

 

Through the days of my life,
where should I go,
where should I look,
when will I know?
I'm trying to understand...

anything!

 

In this speck of a world,
why do I live,
why should I care,
why will I die?
I don't understand...

anything!

 

It's the blackest of facts:
that I know I can't know,
for I'm only a man.
...And yet even so,
I keep trying to understand...

everything!

 

 

 

©2008, Richard Puetter

© 2009 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

ahahahaha i love it!! my cup of tea sir! yes ... such a conundrum and life long dilemma .. on the one hand the seeking .. is all important .. and yet the knowing's answer seems to be "not knowing" ;) we have great mysteries to stand in awe of .. as a scientist you more than many know this to be true .. but i hate to think of how adrift we might be if we give up searching and seeking ... i call that praying actually .. and the beauty in our ignorance and prayer and seeking can be found here perhaps .. from the Bible ... “God, you are my God; I eagerly seek you. I thirst for you; my body faints for you in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water” (Psalm 63:1). or perhaps without answers instead of water :} thought provoking, clear concise language ..free verse with smooth flow says i .. only read it once and for me received full impact .. honest poetry says i!
E.
E.

Posted 3 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Lia
Great piece, really enjoyed it, ty for sharing x

Posted 15 Years Ago


The more my knowledge expends the more i become aware of how little i know and understand. Understanding the point of my life, the reason why i was sent to this earth is something i've been trying to figure out my entire life. And i'm still searching for a suitable explanation.....

Your poem is simply out-standing!!! I loved it and i shall keep it in my library!!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The older we get - the more we know and the more we know - the more we realize we have much to learn and the more we learn....the more aware we become - to the fact that we know very little about anything of importance. I can feel your wheels spinning, humming, scouring the recesses of your mind for answers or questions - I think many of us stare up at the ceiling while spread across our beds at night...and search - just like you describe.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good flow and quite an easy read, but does stir the inner questions of why to everything. I guess I am just too accepting in my view of life being I will know what I am supposed to know and pray I have time to do all that I am suppsed to do... Wonderful write.. Enjoyed tremendously.
D

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick,
Again a hit with me. I love the internal rhyme and repetition...very Poe-esque and so delightful to read in my opinion! The poem gets the message across to the reader but still maintains it's sense of awe. I really enjoyed this poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great write of self realization. Thought provoking yet encouraging. I like the concept of human humility exposed. Very nice....
Todd

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very good! I did a poem similar to this rhyme scheme. This works, and conveys the sad truth that humans can never know everything. Top notch.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

693 Views
17 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 19, 2008
Last Updated on August 2, 2009

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing



Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!