Number theory

Number theory

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

I wonder how the numbers feel, packed together head to heel.

"

 

Some say it takes
a long, long time
to walk full down
the number line1.
 
That's what they say,
but I say "No!
It just depends
how fast you go!2"
 
If you can choose3
and do it right,
all numbers flash by
in a single night.
 
But going that fast
there isn't time
to greet each one4
...and some are prime!5
 
"There are too many,"
they just say,
"to meet them all
anyway!6"
 
"Too many to count7,
for most are real8,
being irrational9
their great appeal!"
 
Defeated then,
I turn to go.
Georg Cantor10,
you’ve caused much woe.
 
With numbers dense11
the line's paved they say,
but I'll ponder this,
another day12. 

 


Notes
 
1The number line contains an "uncountable" number of numbers.  "Countable" numbers have a "cardinality" equal to the "counting numbers", i.e., the positive integers.  Uncountable numbers, like the real numbers, have a cardinality larger than this.  So it would take a "long, long time, / to walk full down / the number line".
 
2The real numbers can not be listed even in an infinite amount of time with the fastest possible computer.  So to run through all of the real numbers, you must go very fast indeed.
 
3Running through the real numbers requires the "Axiom of Choice", a postulate logically independent of Set Theory, which stipulates that there is a way to "choose" an element from any set.  This sounds simple, but consider the set of real numbers for which we have no names.  Now, try and pick a member of this set.
 
4Since there are "uncountable" real numbers, one cannot list them.  Hence there is no time to "greet each one".
 
5Prime numbers are integers divisible only by 1 and themselves.  The ancient Greeks knew that there were an infinite ("countable") number of prime numbers.  This is a play on words between the mathematical and normal definition of “prime”.
 
6The real numbers are “uncountable”.
 
7They are "uncountable".
 
8Real numbers include numbers beyond the integers and rational numbers (numbers which can be expressed as a fraction).
 
9Irrational numbers dominate the real numbers.  Georg Cantor’s “Continuum Hypothesis” postulated that the cardinality of the real numbers is the second largest infinity.  Later Kurt Godel proved that the "Continuum Hypothesis" is unprovable from the axioms of Set Theory plus the "Axiom of Choice".
 
10Georg Cantor is the father of transfinite mathematics and was an outcast in his time with mathematicians of the day discrediting his work.  Even Poincaré referred to Cantor's ideas as a "grave disease" infecting the discipline of mathematics.  His work, however, is now considered inspired and far beyond his time.
 
11“Dense” is a mathematical term.  The rational numbers are "dense" on the real number line because between any two distinct numbers taken from the number line there is at least one rational number between them.
 
12Can you believe how complicated numbers are!?  Let's get back to this tomorrow!
 
 
 
©2008, Richard Puetter

© 2009 Rick Puetter


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very interesting concept and nice rhyme to the poem. I've never really seen footnotes in a poem before and, while I think that a poem is something that should exist by itself (without explanation) I understand and appreciate your style and will look out for more from you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Rick Puetter

10 Years Ago

Dear JCharo,

Thank you for your kind review. And yes, the issue of footnotes. A good f.. read more



Reviews

Omigod, I love this poem! The music of it astounded me, and the conclusion wad perfect. KUDOSx10!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The apparent simplicity of this poem I saw in my first reading of it was allowed me to enjoy the flow of rhyme and meter. But, having already read some of your more recent poems, I knew there was complexity in the simplicity. And your notes at the bottom proved me right, so I had to go back and reread it a few more times in a new light. You have a unique gift for combining math and/or science with poetry. It is amazing how one does not detract from the other. It would seem you a bit of a perfectionist, perhaps dominated by the left brain hemisphere, yet it is tempered and balanced well by the visualization from the right hemisphere. Thus, all you do you so well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sweet poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A most enjoyable read, very stimulating and delightfully executed...8 verses of 4 lines of mostly 4 syllabs. I can see the number roads and lanes stretching all over the place like bundles or nerves or electrical wiring, different colours etc. I like the idea of number travel, getting into them literally, being part of the concept of 10,368 for example...getting to know it.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lol And this is exactly the reason(s) that I don't like math at all. Great write. Love the notes as well. Kudos.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A different read for me. I enjoyed this style. I don't think I could write like this? I don't think I can think like this? What i do know that this was a gifted piece and I am glad to have come across you after accepting my friends request. I plan on reading some other pieces and I know I will be just as entertained. Peace.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is a really neat poem! i can see this being used in schools to help children learn about the number line and its theory...very good write! thanks for sharing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Much better! Your update fits much better with the general scheme (both rhyming and metaphorical) and the reference even creates a double meaning with the lines that precede it, because presumably Cantor was also at one time "defeated" since, as you say in your note, he was something of an outcast to the mathematical world. His work must've been quite complicated too, which explains why he's causing so much woe. However small, it's a wonderful revision - it makes the poem much tighter and no words are used in excess. Excellent job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How wonderfully clever! I bow to your expertise at mixing math and poetry; you certainly know what you're talking about! The plays on words that you use throughout are delightful (and the notes are wonderfully interesting and really help to clarify it for us English majors, although the poem makes a lot of sense even without the notes. Your words are so well-chosen; you obviously spent a lot of time working on this and that really shows. The conclusion that you draw at the end is wonderful too - a metaphysical throwing of hands up into the air in exasperation. "I'll ponder this/another day!" you cry in frustration, moving on to do something far less complex. You really get the idea across that no one should ever take numbers for granted - they're far more complex than people give them credit for.

The only critique that I have is that the lines "not seeing Pi/I stub my toe" seem a little random and out of place. Are you stubbing your toe as you walk down the number line? It seems a bit contrived to fit the rhyme scheme, so you may want to change it. I'm quite sure that you can come up with something much more rational to put it its place. The second line in the last stanza also seems a bit out of sync with the rest of the poem - one of your abrupt meter changes. I'm not quite sure what you would do to fix it, but you could probably tweak it a bit to make it fit a little better.

This is wonderful! I can really see the mathmatician in you :-)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well done, I loved "...and some are prime!5", as well as the numbers you put in. Very original. Thanks for the criticism, too.

Posted 15 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

770 Views
20 Reviews
Added on June 20, 2008
Last Updated on January 24, 2009

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing