Man's Mind ' Reentrant

Man's Mind ' Reentrant

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

From recursiveness, complexity

"

 
Man's mind ' reentrant,
     Complexity's juggernaut,
          Mandelbrotian!

 

 

 

©2009 Richard Puetter
All rights reserved
 
 
 
 
 
Notes
 
I've been encouraged to add some notes.  So here they are.  Sorry if this gets too technical for some.
 
In computer science, "reentrant" functions are functions that can be re-entered while they are already being executed without effecting the results.  Typically recursive function generally must be reentrant.  Recursive function are functions that reference themselves in their definition.  Recursive function are equivalent to the computable functions, the set of all functions that can be computed by a Turing machine in countable steps.  Now it also happens that recursive functions are the primary root of complexity.  The Mandelbrot set (see the image included with this poem) is generated with a VERY simple recursive function, i.e., f(z)=z^2 +c, where z is a complex number, z^2 is z squared, and "c" is a complex constant (sorry for those unfamiliar with complex numbers, i.e., the generalization of real-numbers and the field of numbers required to yield roots of all polynomials with real coefficients).  Now it turns out that Man's (and other primates, too--probably most creatures) have reentrant neocortexes (although here reentrancy may affect results, but probably not strongly), the seat of conscious thought.  In fact the neocortex is rather simple.  It is the covering of the brain and in humans is only six cells thick.  Nonetheless, this is almost certainly where all conscious thought and higher reason lies.  Now the neocortex is "reentrant", i.e., there is feedback, just like what generates complex (and chaotic) structures like the Mandelbrot set.  So it is this "reentrant", or recursive nature of the neocortex and human thought that gives rise to intellect.  So our minds have a simple, yet profound, basis that is understood in current mathematics.  Now of course we are far from understanding the details of the human intellect, but the foundation of how that intellect arises is at least understood mathematically.  Incredible, huh!  Man's mind is reentrant.  We are literally "Complexity's Juggernaut".  And we are akin to other recursive structures.  We are Mandelbrotian.
 
Best regards,
 
Rick


 


Image licensed under Creative Commons Attribution ShareAlike 2.0 France.   Photographer: Rama (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Rama).

Original photo of Benoit Mendelbrot:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Benoit_Mandelbrot_mg_1804-d.jpg


Benoit Mandelbrot (Born 20 November 1924) is a French American mathematician, best known as the father of fractal geometry. He is Sterling Professor of Mathematical Sciences, Emeritus at Yale University; IBM Fellow Emeritus at the Thomas J. Watson Research Center; and Battelle Fellow at the Pacific Northwest National Labor-atory. He was born in Poland. His family moved to France when he was a child, and he was educated in France. He is a dual French and American citizen. Mandelbrot now lives and works in the United States. Source: Wikipedia.

© 2013 Rick Puetter


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Sub-conscious and conscious", together in a human being's mind is attainable through awareness of more than what we really see physically or any other senses at our disposal. How many other dimensions or realities really exist? Well intellect or survival comes from many attributes I personally believe whether it be a mathematical equation, genetics, string theory, etc., we all could appreciate the many tools at our grasp in understanding life around us. Thanks! Made me think.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

"Sub-conscious and conscious", together in a human being's mind is attainable through awareness of more than what we really see physically or any other senses at our disposal. How many other dimensions or realities really exist? Well intellect or survival comes from many attributes I personally believe whether it be a mathematical equation, genetics, string theory, etc., we all could appreciate the many tools at our grasp in understanding life around us. Thanks! Made me think.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Succinct and mathematically precise. In poetry it is difficult to present such things well, yet make them interesting. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Okay Rick....your notes make your write MUCH EASIER to understand, as I had come to review this, and quite honestly didn't have a clue as to what you meant by it....knowing your astrophysicist mindset, I was sure it was a piece of worth, and related to the image in some way, but I was unable to make a proper connection!...so silence was the way out....(sloppy of me, as I should have asked for more meaning)

Now, what you have explained, though still a bit of a read to understand, does make sense, and is really fascinating!....just to think of how mankind's thought processes repeat...are "reentrant", hence being mathematically understood is "mind blowing"...no pun intended!

I can understand how we are Mandelbrotian.....OMG..I actually 3/4 understand this...I am amazed!!
Thank you for presenting this thought provoking piece with a most appropriate image!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Like this ... though I am not a fan of haiku's. But I am taken with 'Complexity's juggernaut' ... The line sets me off ... Complexity's nanonaut ... Simplicity's string vest o'silk (Ok I know it's a syllab over the odds) 'Com-sim-com-naut's string jugger' ... 'Stringplexity comtheory' .... agggggh!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Let me be the first to review this. Brilliant! Chaotically intense. Bravo! The pic is a wonderful touch as well. Kudos.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

619 Views
5 Reviews
Added on July 6, 2009
Last Updated on March 23, 2013

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing