The Chair Cat

The Chair Cat

A Poem by Rick Puetter
"

A spoof on my poem "The Ne'er King"

"


Author: superfem. Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic license. The original image may be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/superfem/3060950790/sizes/0/

 

 

 

Dear Reader,

 

     This poem is a spoof on my poem "The Ne'er King".  My wife and I currently have 13 cats, so I know whereof I speak.  Enjoy the piece.

 

          Rick

 

 

 

 

The Chair Cat

 
          Not just about any cat…
 
There in the chair the Chair Cat lies
He dreams of birds behind closed eyes
His feet faint kick, His head does twitch
He sleeps there safe, there in His niche
 
Most lazy, He, among His clique
Too tired, He, for hide and seek
There yawning mouth does open wide
No, He’ll not play, He has His pride!
 
He’ll answer not His name today
He’s resting there and there He’ll stay
He'll lay right there in Chair-Cat chair
Do what ' world will, He doesn't care
 
He snuggles there in pillow soft
His nose gives sniff, He smells scent waft
There turns, He, then His noble head
Then rests it back on His soft bed
 
He’ll dream sweet dreams, sport peaceful look
And but for sleep no thought He’ll brook
All day He’ll rest in luxury
There stretches He in majesty
 
Serene, with comforts He was filled!
No dog barks heard, no vermin killed
To rest there peaceful was His plan
The Chair Cat, He, chair’s biggest fan
 
 
 
©2009, Richard Puetter
All rights reserved

© 2013 Rick Puetter


Author's Note

Rick Puetter
Answering Sheila on the pronunciation of the word "clique". Ah yes, there are two pronunciation of the word "clique". Even my wife confronted me on this issue. However, the most common pronunctiation is "kleek" and so it rhymes with "seek". The secondary pronunciation is "klik", which doesn't rhyme, of course. I hope that clarifies things.

And while we're on pronunciation, we might as well tackle the other pronunciation issue of this poem, i.e., the word niche, which can be pronounced neech or nitch. Clearly I intend the later in this case to complete the rhyme.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Cats! We have a cat who lives with us as well and he his area and respects ours. When we give thanks for our meal he waits for us to give thanks for his then he eats. He does not have a cat litter in our home because he does his business outside and only comes in to sleep and eat. At dusk he leaves and comes back in the morning, waiting for the cycle to begin all over again. They sure are funny creatures.
TT-TTO-NI-K
Elk

Posted 14 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

First, I'm a cat lover, so you had me at the title. I smiled the entire time I read this. Sometimes I think that when we review poems we get wrapped up so in structure, in various and sundry stylistic criticism, that we lose sight of the art. Poems should make you feel, and happy is definitely the feeling I get from your sweet poem. I have my own "couch cat" and (yes) my own "dining table" cat (he likes the cool glass and I can't blame him.) Would love some review from you...although I write abstract, dark, light, funny and just about anything else. My lightest poem is entitled, "Leukemia, what?!" Congrats.

Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

very good! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful description it sound soo cute. I have 2 cats you might win my contest! Can't wait to see... :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

seems like a poem written in pretty leisurely state...last line made me laugh...a cat who dreams of birds with its sense of pride...an entertaining poem,indeed.The rhyming structure was unlike anything i've read.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very well-crafted piece of writing, most descriptive of the common chair cat, close cousin to the window sill and counter top varieties.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an adorable poem. Very cute. It reminds me of my late cat Tigger, he had a footstool that he treated much the same as the chair. The rhyme of this poem was great and the content was cute and humorous. I loved reading it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow….
I liked this poem….
Sooooooooo…….much…
I am mad about cats…..
Chair cat….I enjoyed…
You have 13 cats….!!!
How do you manage all of their needs?
I wonder…..



Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is lovely hon
Cats are wonderfully elegant and mysterious:) And naughty too lol
I enjoyed this a lot:)
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As an owner and servant of two dogs, wondered how I'd find this poem about cats .. well, I reached: 'He snuggles there in pillow soft His nose gives sniff, He smells scent waft There turns, He, then His noble head Then rests it back on His soft bed ' and could so clearly see the cat 's actions - or rather, lack of actions, that I fell in love, deeply and passionately!

What a wonderful post, what a wonderful chair cat!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1981 Views
32 Reviews
Added on October 24, 2009
Last Updated on December 2, 2013

Author

Rick Puetter
Rick Puetter

San Diego, CA



About
So what's the most important thing to say about myself? I guess the overarching aspect of my personality is that I am a scientist, an astrophysicist to be precise. Not that I am touting science.. more..

Writing