Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Letting Go

Letting Go

A Story by Russd

Chapter One: The kid never grew up!

 

It sounds childish, but his world did revolve around one person - his mother. Simply put, she was intelligent, beautiful, and above all, a wonderful person. Because of many reasons, financial, conjugal, mental, and physical, she lived a life which nobody would really call a happy one. She sacrificed all her dreams and wishes, her whole life, for him and his brother - two ungrateful b******s. If anybody in this world had ever deserved a happy and peaceful life, it would be her - she was the epitome of goodness.

 

Chapter Two: It was too late.

 

No matter how stupid he looked, no matter how arrogant he sounded, keeping aside all the harsh words he cussed her with, deep inside he loved her. All he ever wanted was a chance to make her dreams come true, something nobody, not even God himself, had never really tried or wanted to do. But she was gone �" and he never got to say: “I love you, mother.”

 

Chapter Three: ‘Dog’ spelled backwards makes no sense!

 

She passed away at the age of 52. It was cancer - squeezed out the very last drop of the spirit she was left with. Seeing her suffer, he started doubting the very existence of God. A saying goes like this, those, whom God makes suffer in this life, shall be awarded eternal peace in the afterlife. But when mind is engulfed with doubts, does it really help?

 

Chapter Four: “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face!”

 

With her death - not only he lost his beloved mother, he almost lost his faiths in God too; worst of all, he lost confidence in himself. Be you an atheist or not, those, who believe, rely on him - it's like a power, existence of which gives you courage and hope. When there is nobody to help, we want to believe there is at least one being out there watching over us, looking out for us. Each of us always looks for something to hold on to. As for him, he didn't want to believe �" he was furious with anger.

 

Chapter Five: “Don’t trust your own brother”

 

Lost, he turned to his father. Against all odds, he actually started listening to him. Father used to say, "I am giving you a notion, just think it over. It's up to you whether you'll accept it or not. All I ask of you is to contemplate it and make your own decision."

The trick is simple, yet effective. If you keep saying something to somebody over and over again, they will eventually give in, if not consciously, subconsciously. As days went by, his life was being shaped with nothing but all his father's ideas. Now when he looks back, he realizes the piece of advice he needed the most back then is: Trust no one but yourself.

 

Chapter Six: “Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged”

 

Through the last few years, if he had learned something that would be: do not judge. Something occurred to him �" why doesn't he try to make his father happy? But fate had, once again, some other plan for him in store.

He still remembers the day his father turned up at the doorstep with his second wife. After shopping for food with the money of his first month’s salary, he was preparing to dine together. Father showed up and said: “You may find it difficult to cope with the new situation, but try to adjust; I’ve married again.” Father’s lies hurt him more than did his tendency to keep the facts from him. It sounds confusing, but it makes perfect sense.

 

Chapter Seven: The winsome guy's wised up!

 

He’s changed. It’s not him whining �" it’s him trying to untangle the facts. He has already put an end to his habit of planning everything out beforehand. He doesn't mind the small surprises that await him around the corners. He no longer holds high expectations of himself, which sets him free from the obligation of actually fulfilling them. If going with the flow makes him happier, why does he not just let go of himself?

© 2014 Russd


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

134 Views
Added on April 17, 2014
Last Updated on April 17, 2014

Author

Russd
Russd

Dhaka, Bangladesh



Writing
Ingredients Ingredients

A Chapter by Russd