The Underbrush

The Underbrush

A Story by Samantha Ciotti
"

Hoping to enlighten...

"
We attempt to navigate through the agonizing brevity of life with an awkward air of sophistication, strung together by bits and pieces of other’s introspective genius, and for just a second, we truly believe we may be the most deeply profound people on earth. But then the room gets quiet, and we try to cover up the silence with more thoughts that we have heard but not felt, until we realize that these words, these ideas, are someone else’s and not our own. These words cause us to trip and fall to the underbrush, our faces tarnished with mud, as we look up at the world instead of down on it. There will be a time when the aching sadness depletes us of all that we have become, until we are whole and good again, and we open our wide, new eyes and notice the things we have failed to notice before. In this simplicity we may find our small piece of genius, the element of us which is truly us, right here amongst the dirt. And life will go on-as it never fails to do-and some overzealous person will be trying to rummage through a long, hard day for that unattainable silver lining, and they will try to fit others words in their mouths. They will feel-as I have felt so many times-the foreign taste of other’s philosophies on their tongues. And I will look through my bright, untainted eyes and wait for them to join me on the earth’s soil. I will watch them closely, as they notice all the beautiful things; all the things that they have passed by; all the flower buds that they have crushed-that we have all crushed- with clumsy feet so many times before. And as the first flower spreads its lovely petal wings-shimmering in sunlight as well as rain- I hope they find the element of them which is truly them, as they look up at the world instead of down on it.

© 2013 Samantha Ciotti


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is intelligently written with deep thoughts...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Samantha Ciotti

10 Years Ago

thank you so much :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 29, 2013
Last Updated on June 29, 2013
Tags: Spirituality, Gratitude, Introspection, Life, Short Story

Author

Samantha Ciotti
Samantha Ciotti

Dominican Republic



About
My name is Samantha, I'm nearly eighteen. Canadian, living in the Dominican Republic. I love writing, reading, singing, playing bass and guitar, songwriting, modeling, kite boarding, kickboxing, snowb.. more..

Writing
Paris Paris

A Story by Samantha Ciotti