Poker Face

Poker Face

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

Freeing Tatiana from the jaws of the CIA

"

Artwork: Poker Face by John Craig



Poker Face                 by Sami S. Khalil




As my thoughts were canvassed with frustrations (Wife Tatiana was hostage in the hands of the CIA), self-absorbed, but biding for the right moments, many opportunities shone their light on worst case scenarios.

Armed with the shapeshifting helmet as a mesmerized beholder, union with Tatiana was growing in proximity midst the wilted leaves of Winter, forcing many visuals. I heard nothing but my heart pounding in the front seat of my mind, and in the backseat, I made out tapping feet that grew louder and louder, reverberating beyond speculation.

I devoted my eyes to see in the distance someone with a stoic nature (Poker Face), as the Russian general introduced himself to me, surrounded by two bodyguards clutching AK47’s. Anyone looking at his stature, should ignite feelings of patriotism within (He had won many tide-turning battles).

He lends his hand forward for a handshake, congratulating me on the breakout success. He said, “You played your hands well. You have proved to be smart and trustworthy, although you have been hard to pin down sometimes, as well evidenced to us. Nevertheless, we have arranged for you a fully stealth nuclear sub, with our top-notch sailors carrying you, dropping you at Virginia Beach. We will stay underneath its waters until you fetch your wife, which is a Russian citizen. If successful, we will whisk you both to Crimea until further notices and missions.

I feigned a wide smile, indulging in his praise, with a sheen of glamorous artifice. The day came and we departed to Virginia. Destination was “The Farm”, as the facility is known till this day where covert CIA training and clandestine operations are planned, including housing high-value prisoners or juicy targets. It was the famed Camp Peary (The Farm), named for an arctic explorer who became a Rear Admiral.

 

Now, my mission, other than freeing Tatiana, was to assess “The Dark Prisons” and to find the fault lines in the evil torture of prisoners. The time arrived. It was few days before Christmas. Lots of officers were out for the holidays. The place was one of intrigue indeed. I saw few guards patrolling here and there. At the main port, I saw tall ships resting their masts, floating peacefully.

Under the moon’s glare, I witnessed a said docked ship with women prisoners being taken somewhere. I sprinted towards it with courage fueling me. I figured she might be on this ship (come to find out, she was and they were being taken to Guantanamo Bay).

All of this time, I had my helmet donned, which kept me invisible. As I called her name, she appeared threadbare, worn out under torture, shivering uncontrollably. I was so enraged. I hugged her tightly then grabbed her by the hands, and off the ship we jumped. We slipped briskly unnoticed to the shore. After contacting the sub, forthcoming it came with layers of spellbinding beauty.

Before entering the chamber, we kissed in tender coherence, feeling the pangs of cathartic heartbeats. We paid homage to triumphant love over oddities. Our ambient imprints completed the decorous hesitation of stolen moments.

Off to Crimea was the gentle sequel. Now, we can be at ease in our generous deliverance. Our love was rejuvenated in boundless loyalties as the precious refinement of charming rainbow colours abounded.     

 

© 2020 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

you have a unique and poetic way of telling a story. i love the "poker face" idea - something i'm not very good it (not good at hiding my feelings). very telling and clever. i also like how you are able to weave in lessons for all as you tell a tale ... :)

we kissed in tender coherence, feeling the pangs of cathartic heartbeats. We paid homage to triumphant love over oddities. Our ambient imprints completed the decorous hesitation of stolen moments.

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeeee! Thank you so much Pete for this awesome review and liking. I'm thankful and honored. Glad t.. read more
Very good choices of words and imagery! The picture at the beginning is very unique. -Kay

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Hi there! I want to thank you for the visit and thoughts. See you soon.
you are a mage when it comes to story telling Sami... the words fly, the magic astounds and we the reading get amazed... and what a clever piece of art work to introduce this story.... true love has its ways to inspire...

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoaaa! I'm so honored to learn that and inspired by great writers like yourself to keep going. We i.. read more
This is one of the weirdest storylines I've read lately! I never find predictable storylines posted on your page, that's fer sure! The best part of your storytelling is when the two are reunited -- nicely enthusiastic reunion, feverish & fun. I love the photo & that you call it a "shapeshifting helmet" & how you work it into your story. My only drawback is that I thought "Poker Face" was the Russian general, but then later on, the narrator is wearing the mask, which implies he is "Poker Face" -- this is a little confusing to me. I love that you write a story about political strife & it doesn't sound anything like any other story of a similar genre! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeee! This is the 3rd sequel to my stories: The Gold Mine and The Shapeshifter. The general is tit.. read more
barleygirl

3 Years Ago

Now that I've read all the segments of this story, I see the difference between the two masks. All w.. read more
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeee. Thank you again dear Margie(The talented)...
dearest Sami... the photo is so Clever...
reminiscent of the "Maverick" 1994 Movie with James
Garner, Mel Gibson and Jodi Foster. Of course your poem
is pure Espionage to the extent of a Best Seller.
No Comedy in this Vignette. Very evocative. truly, Pat

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Wow! You are amazing in your knowledge and experiences as well as personality. Your beloved is a luc.. read more
I enjoyed the tale Sami.
"Before entering the chamber, we kissed in tender coherence, feeling the pangs of cathartic heartbeats. We paid homage to triumphant love over oddities. Our ambient imprints completed the decorous hesitation of stolen moments."
The language, the plot create good vision for the reader. I did like the above lines. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing and entertaining story.
Coyote

Posted 3 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

Whoeee! Thank you so much Coyote Poetry for this amazing review and much appreciated visit. You are .. read more
Coyote Poetry

3 Years Ago

Happy Thanksgiving my friend and you are welcome.
Sami Khalil

3 Years Ago

:::::))))))))))

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2020
Last Updated on November 27, 2020

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..