Sea Child

Sea Child

A Story by Sarah
"

Something has occurred in this strange, dark town. There are creatures beyond the sea, perhaps they are watching.

"

Sarah Evans      

Writing 241

John Zackel

03/10/15

A Child From the Sea

Something has changed. I peek at the world beyond my tiny, crooked bedroom window; damp cobblestone. Tall, thin townhouses, also with crooked windows.  Steamboats swaying in the harbor down the road. A vast, never-ending sea that permeates the air with the scent of salt. A sky that is plagued with eternal night. Lights above the sea flicker, reminding me that there is something out there, far into the distance. Perhaps it’s watching me. An uncomfortable silence stirs the air. The wind blows sea flags in the direction of town. The shadows look suspicious, as if they are concealing some terrific and terrible secret. Something sinister has intruded the port. It eludes my wandering gaze, but I can feel its presence. The silence is shattered as a terrible cry comes from inside one of the townhouses. I knock a lantern off of my night stand, leaving me in the darkness. A sickening terror twists my stomach, but the feeling is soon replaced with an intense curiosity. I find myself running into the street.

 

 

Lights in other homes instantaneously flick on, people emerge from peaceful slumber into a state of chaotic consciousness. Confused mumbles fill the street. A crowd has gathered around the source of the cry. I squeeze my way to the inner circle. A man with a searing red beard and tattoo I cannot fully see is consoling a hysterical woman, who speaks rapidly of a child between gross sobs. She pulls the man close and whispers something into his ear. The man's eyes widen. He stands to his feet while two other women take his place. An electric shiver leaks down my spine when someone, or something, from the crowd presses a small folded piece of paper into the palm of my hand. I whip my head around, but everyone is transfixed on the commotion. Whoever this note belongs to is long gone, but the feeling of electricity lingers in my bones. The red bearded man puffs his chest and speaks in an authoritative tone.

"Gather a search party. We leave port tonight."

"What's happening?" A voice comes from the crowd. The man turns his head.

"Something from the Beyond has awoken. It has taken a child to the sea, all who are brave enough to help, collect your things and gather in the tavern for further instruction." The man ignores the other questions that come from the crowd as he pushes his way through. The Beyond, I’ve heard of this place… its existence is one I cannot deny. But the creatures who reside there? I grip the folded paper tightly. It's nothing but sailor superstition. I look towards the blinking lights above the sea. Nothing but sailor superstition.

 

 

I hurry inside my home and latch the door behind me. The lantern on my dining room table illuminates a veil of dust that turns the air sepia brown. I stare at the folded parchment on my wooden dining table before taking it into my hand. I rub my thumb over the edge.  I’ll be better off not knowing what’s inside. I don’t need to read this...

 

They want you, Alice.

 

I get the sudden feeling I am not alone. I look up from the note and towards the wall across the table, there is a small crack in the wood paneling. I stare intently at the crevice. I get up to take a closer look. It’s too dark to see anything, but a soft breath washes over my cheek. The wall creeks. I cannot stay here.

 

 

            I grip the leather strap of my shoulder bag as I walk into the “Sea Urchin” Tavern. Bare bulbs hang from different lengths of wire over the ceiling. On the back wall there is a painting of a large ship on the sea; a foggy memory from a childhood I can never remember clearly fills my mind. For a second, I see a pair of arms lifting me from the sea. The image quickly fades. It smells of strong whiskey and sorrow. There are multiple men and women within the tavern. Two men, and one woman, sitting at a circular table whispering to one another, are obviously in charge of this; whatever “this” is. The door shuts behind me. They turn their heads in my direction. The man with the searing red beard stands from the circular table and walks towards me. I can make out his tattoo as he comes closer; it’s a knot of octopus tentacles and a large eye, the symbol of the sea god Slate. Sailor superstition...

“Welcome young lass.” he sticks his hand out. I wrap my hand around his and firmly shake.

“Your tattoo, it’s of Slate correct?”

“Good eye Miss, it is.”

“You’re a believer then?” I say, he chuckles.

“Slate is a watchful eye, just as you seem to be. He brings luck to sailors, being a sailor myself, I like to think there is a power looking out for me.”

“I see. I am Alice, by the way.”

“Pleased to meet you Alice, I am Quintin, the captain in charge of this mission.” Quintin’s face twists into a look of confusion. “You look familiar, where have I seen you before?”

“It’s a small town, Quintin.” I free my hand from his.

“I suppose it is... please, come, have a seat.” He gestures forward. I feel his gaze grace the back of my neck. I take the empty chair next to a man who looks about my age. He is tinkering with something that looks like a compass, or pocket watch. His brown hair is neatly combed, in a style that reminds me of a time before the darkness fell. This man is no sailor.  A woman with short black hair cleans a dagger with a handkerchief. She is watching something out of the corner of her eye.  

“This is Jason and Elloise. Jason is a Navigator and El here is our armory expert. They are also my second and third in command.” I say hello and Jason nods back at me, then mumbles some words that I cannot make out.

“What can you do to help?” Elloise places her very clean blade on the table.

“Excuse me?”

“I know weapons, Jason knows clocks. What do you know?”

“I notice the little things. I thought that could help. We are trying to find something after all.” I try to mirror the bluntness of her tone.

A corner of Elloises’ mouth twitches upward, a smirk which she tries to conceal.

“Fair enough.” she pulls out a new weapon and examines it.

I scan the tavern. Groups of people are moving crates of supplies outside. Through the window, I can see sailors boarding a large steam boat.

“We are leaving within the hour. Alice, you can accompany us on the main ship, and help us notice the little things.” Quintin looks to me. I nod.  

 

 

           

The deck of the boat is surprisingly clean. I lean on the edge as I watch the lights from home grow distant. They want me? What is that supposed to mean? I shove my hand into my pocket and feel the folded paper over once before dropping it to the waves below. The air is misty and leaves a sheet of moisture over my skin. Something on the horizon calls my attention. The lights in the sky no longer flicker. It feels as if they are eyes staring down at me… perhaps they are. I thought I left this feeling on shore.

“Do you know how important clocks are?” Jason leans on the rail beside me. “Without clocks, we would have no way to tell the time. I mean, it’s not like we can look outside and know if it’s midday or not, because it’s so dark and all.” He looks into the distance.

“I suppose you’re correct.” I look at his profile. Where did that come from? He barely spoke a word to me all day. I return my gaze to the sea.

“Do you have a clock? A pocket watch, I mean.” I feel his eyes on me. I turn to face him.

“Yes, I always carry-”

“You don’t? Here take this one.” Jason grabs my arm and firmly places something in my hand. I have a strange feeling, like an electric deja-vu.

“I just said-”

“Ah, would you look at that.” Jason pulls out a pocket watch of his own. “It’s actually pretty late, we should both return to our quarters. Good night, Alice.” He walks away before I can say anything. I look to the sky one last time before retiring to my quarters. A light moves just slightly across the sky, then stops. I stare up at it, and it down at me.

 

 

 

            The boat is rather large, large enough for everyone to have a separate room. I examine the pocket watch Jason gave me. A paper edge protrudes from between the smooth brass. I open the face of the clock and take out a hastily scribbled note.

 

Something has been watching you, I’ve seen its shadow in yours.

Also, I don’t think we can trust Quintin.

He knows it follows you too. Throw this note overboard.

           

My blood is hot in my veins. I am tired of all these notes. I search for parchment and something to write with. The contents of my bag are spread out on the small wooden desk below the porthole in my room. I write a note for Jason.

 

What is watching me? We need a safe place to talk.

I have many questions for you.

 

I take the pocket watch that conceals my note into the palm of my hand. The heat of my blood warms its metallic surface. Waves crash outside as I peer out the porthole, the harbor lights are no longer on the horizon. We have sailed a great distance from home. Sleep eludes my anxious mind, I decide to go to the deck. The hallway floor quietly creeks when I walk past the other rooms. One of the doors is slightly open. I can see movement inside. Don’t think about it. I walk slower. Something clicks inside the room. My will dissolves. I can’t stop myself from looking in. There is a familiar symbol drawn in white chalk on the wood floor. Multiple candles flicker beside it, eliminating any shred of darkness. I hear footsteps from inside. Quintin? He draws a small dagger against his palm. Blood oozes from the gash and splatters onto the floorboards. He wraps a white bandage around his self-inflicted wound. Spots of blood soak through. The cut must be pretty deep. I have seen enough.  I continue on my way to the deck. The wind has picked up considerably, it carries the scent of fresh metallic blood. The waves look as restless as I feel. The shadow of something large dives deep into the sea.

 

 

 

 

The morning approaches. The world is still, as always, dark. The wind plays with strands of my hair as I make my way over the deck to the dining hall. There is already food on the table when I arrive, I take a seat next to Jason, who picks apart something on his plate.

“The watch you gave me is broken.” I set the brass timepiece in front of him. His eyes meet mine then glance around the room. He stuffs it in his pocket.

“Sorry about that, I’ll return it to you soon.”

I bite into a biscuit that tastes of butter and salt. Quintin walks into the room with a bright lantern one hand, his other hand is wrapped in cloth.

“Good morning.” He sits across from me and takes a biscuit as well. The room is silent for a while.

“What happened to your hand Quintin?” I interrupt the silence.

“Kitchen accident, nothing serious.” The tone of his voice implied I should not ask again.

“I see.” I stare forward at him. He stares at his plate.

“Are we looking anywhere specific for the child? It seems as if we are leisurely wandering the sea.” Jason cuts in. Now that I think about it, I have no idea where we are. I stop chewing as a cold blanket of fear clings to my skin like a wet cloth. Where are we?

“There is an island in the far north, where the Beyond and sea meet, I believe the child was taken there.” Are we traveling to the Beyond?

“Taken there by what?” I ask. Jason and Quintin briefly look at each other.

“There are creatures in this world, Alice. Creatures that come from the Beyond to watch us.” Quintin’s gaze is cold and unsettling. “Something on our side has caught their attention, they are looking for someone.”

I get a sudden feeling of sickness. Creatures, they exist? They’re looking for someone too?

“Who exactly are they looking for?” I stare intently at Quintin.

“They believe the there is someone in our realm who is the spawn of Slate, that is who they seek.” The spawn of Slate?

“Tell me we’re not looking for the bloody child of a Sea God.” I say in a brassy tone.

“Many years ago, there was a rumor of a child who was found at sea. Some believers, including myself, think that the child belongs to Slate. Their identity was kept a secret by the sailors who found them. By now, they would be fully grown, assuming they’re still alive. Therefore, the child we seek cannot be the child from the sea.”

“Then why’d they take that poor woman’s child at all?”

“Bait. They must know the identity of who they seek, and they must’ve known that they would join the search. The creatures are luring them to the beyond.”  A wave of suspicion washes over me. If this child does exist, and did join the search, it could be any one of us. There is a look in Quintin's eyes that suggests he knows more than he’s letting on to. I get the same feeling about Jason. Suddenly, I feel as if I know nothing of this world.

“That still makes no sense, how would the creatures know they would take the bait at all?” I feel my face scrunch as I speak.

"Little is known about the Beyond and what resides there, however, some people claim the beings who inhabit that space are in relation to Slate himself, which implies that they possess a divination of sorts."

"I see why they'd want the child then. A direct decedent of Slate would be related to the creatures in the Beyond as well." Jason says through a mouthful of food.

"Would the child possess a divination as well?" This conversation has left me with more questions than answers.

“My, it's quite early for all these questions.  The only thing that matters is that we find the missing child and take them home. Let the creatures search for Slate’s child. Odds are they no longer exist, and if they did there is no way to tell for sure. After all, it could be nothing but sailor superstition."  He stands from the table and turns on his lantern before entering the darkness. Sailor superstition...

 

 

            Whispers from fellow sailors suggest we will reach our destination within the week. The speed of these steamboats continues to astonish me. There is a current that is a known mark of the 'Hollow Waters,’ a passage that carries ships over a large abyss. Sailors spin tales of a mind sickness that come from siren songs. The sickness, according to this tale, compels sailors to jump ship and swim into the abyss after Sea Nymphs. Heavy fog hangs over the sea as we enter the Hollow Waters. Its haze devours the ship like a hungry beast. The afternoon is filled with sea lore from sailors who are just within earshot. I check the time, night has fallen without my realization. A small glass sphere rolls in my direction and hits the side of my foot. I look to the direction from which it came. A shadowy figure stands between a stack of crates and barrels. It moves behind the corner, I pick up the sphere and follow it.  I peer around the corner, Jason leans comfortably against the wall and picks at a brass pocket watch.

"He is suspicious of you. Quintin is suspicious of you, I mean."

"How do you know these things? You were the one who gave me that note in the crowd, weren't you?"

"Yes, I've been keeping tabs on you ever since the creatures took interest in you. I study them, when I'm not working on clocks, or navigating that is." My body tenses as he speaks. What secrets of the Beyond does he hold? I scan my surroundings in case I need a quick escape.

"Why are you being so cryptic?" My discomfort is apparent in my tone. Jason stops tinkering with the clock and gives me a concerned look.

"Sorry, I don't mean to scare you. I'm not good with people." The gentle features of his face glow beneath a lantern. I feel myself relax as I notice how overwhelmingly unthreatening Jason is.

"Why is Quintin suspicious of me?"

"Quintin's belief in Slate is strong. I've sailed with him before, from what I've observed, he has developed an obsession with this 'Child of the Sea'. He also has a strong fear of the darkness, which he brilliantly conceals, but it’s my theory as to why he is obsessed with finding this child. It’s his key to Slate, and therefore his key out of this dark world.” Quintin is afraid of the dark?

“How do you know all of this?”

“I openly admit to watching him on multiple occasions. I mean, I never meant to, my eyes just like to wander." I can't blame him. With so much to see, how can one keep their eye from wandering?

"Does he-"

"He thinks you could be."  The watch clicks shut. He stuffs it in the pocket of his vest. "The creatures think you could be as well." I guess there are creatures in the Beyond...

"Why do they think that?" He still hasn't answered that question.

"You were born at sea. It's in your records." Why does he know that? Jason makes a face as if he just realized how off-putting he sounds. He looks to his feet. "I followed Quintin into a public records room. He looked into your file, then I did too... Sorry."

"Children are born at sea all the time."

"It must be the fact that the rumors surfaced the same year you were born. The logic, I admit, is weak."  The boat creeks. I get a sudden feeling like we are being watched.

"You said you study the creatures, I think that needs some explanation.” Jasons’ worried expression melts into one of relief as I change subjects.

"The creatures from the Beyond are curious. They're almost always watching us, from shadows and cracks. Despite popular belief, we can see them too, if you look close enough at your surroundings. I've never fully seen one, but I've been tracking their behavioral patterns. There is not a lot of data yet."

“Are they here now?” Jason's eyes narrow as I speak.

"Perhaps we should continue this conversation another time." A strange feeling tingles over my skin as Jason walks away. When aren’t they here? I walk to the back of the boat and watch as we sail out of the Hollow Waters, and out of the fog. A sweet melody echoes from the mist, as if someone was singing far behind us.

 

 

 

There is commotion on the main deck. The shouts of sailors shake through the ship, waking everything in their path. Elloise bursts into my room. There is a gleam in her eyes, she wears an expression of delightful horror.

"You have to see this." Her smile is sphinxlike, and her excitement contagious. The sleepiness that clouded my head only seconds ago has disappeared completely. I slip on my jacket, and race to the deck. Sailors attempt to pull some sort of sea creature by the tentacles onto the deck.  All this commotion over a squid, octopus maybe?  The boat tilts as half of the creatures’ body lumps onto the deck. I grasp onto a nearby rail. A thud followed by an angry voice emerges from the captains’ quarters.  The boat rocks a final time as the entire tentacled beast lay limp on the wooden deck. Quintin storms outside in a wonderful rage. I watch the color drain from his skin as he sets his eyes on the monstrosity.

"What in Slate's name is that thing doing on my ship." He walks to the beast and crouches down. He runs his hand over the mess of tentacles. "It seems as if we are close to the beyond, we will reach our destination sooner than-" The beast spurs to life. The mass of tentacles convulse. Quintin screeches a sound that does not seem human. Sailors struggle to free Quintins arm from the beasts grip, and when they do, it is clear his arm is severely damaged. Blood and saltwater spray into the air as the tentacled creature makes its escape back into the sea.  The boat tilts back and forth multiple times until finally coming to rest. The ships’ doctor rushes to examine Quintins arm. Some sailors follow with a large bowl and a wooden box of medical supplies. He places the mangled hand into a bowl of murky white water. Quintin winces. A trail of blood leaks from a laceration that appears to have cut Quintins tattoo in half. After some contemplation, the doctor speaks.

"Amputation is not necessary, however, you will suffer deformities. Or even paralysis in the hand." He wraps a bandage around Quintins arm. "I'd say that’s the best possible outcome is a situation like this. You are truly lucky to still have your arm."

"Luck is not what I'd call that. The wrath of Slate. That is what that was" Sailors speak in hushed tones amongst themselves. Why would Slate punish his most devout worshiper?

"What could have provoked such a thing?" A sailor asks.

"And why didn't the beast attack us?" Another asks.

"He must not want us close to the Beyond." There must be more to this…  Quintins voice is too steady, as if he is forcing his tone to conceal his pain. "Punishing me, an open believer, implies the severity and seriousness of his message." His words slip out between clenched teeth. I am unsure which damaged worse; Quintins arm or his faith. The air around us holds a tension that creates a haze over the boat. The doctor wraps a bandage around Quintins severed tattoo.

Why should Slate care if we near the Beyond? There is definitely more to this. An expression I've never seen before washes over his face. It evokes a foreign feeling inside of me, something that resembles terror and excitement, and possibly curiosity.

“Does that mean we aren’t going to the Island?” I ask. Quintins eyes meet mine.

“I refuse to abandon the child. The child’s rescue holds importance over everything right now. I am willing to suffer the consequences.” Quintin stands to his feet with the doctors’ assistance. He returns to his quarters, and soon the crowd disperses. Which child are you talking about, Quintin?

 

 

            The morning approaches quickly. After a restless night filled with lingering images of grotesque sea monsters and blood, I decide to eat alone in my quarters. They say the longer you stay at sea the further into insanity you slip. I look out the porthole. There is something on the dark horizon. Its silhouette is just slightly discernible from the sky. It appears to be some sort of rock mass. This must be our destination. I make my way to the main deck. Sailors crowd around the bow of the ship. A spotlight interrupts the darkness and beams onto the island. The shore is made of black sand. Strange luminescent trees seem to absorb the light from our spotlight. A white glow spreads throughout the island, as the trees take in the light from each other. It seems as if the island itself is stirring awake.

“Turn that off for a second.” I say above the other murmurs. The beam shuts off. The light gradually dissipates, and the island is black once again. “On again, please.” The light gradient reappears again. Such a strange place, and we haven't even set foot on land yet. Jason furiously scribbles something in a leather bound journal. Elloise tightly grips a short blade as she nervously surveys her surroundings, ready to fight off an unexisting assailant. Quintin is nowhere to be seen. The collective nervousness from everyone on the boat traps us in an unpleasant aura. This is always the longest part of a journey. I watch as the island approaches, or as we approach the island. It’s hard to discern which of us is moving. Quintin finally emerges from his quarters.

“Gather around.” His voice has changed since I last heard him speak. He has one arm in the sleeve of a coat, the other is in a sling. Part of the tattoo tentacles stick out from the top of his bandage. His once fiery red hair seems dulled somehow. Perhaps it’s the light; or lack thereof.

“I will divide you into search parties, then we scour the island for the child. Or worst case, for the child's remains.”

Quintin divides the sailors and rations supplies for the search.

“The island is small. We will be able to search its area thoroughly by the end of the day if each party covers their section” Quintin assigns the different groups ‘rings’ of the island. Elloise, Jason, Quintin, and I are, unsurprisingly, on the same team. We will search the islands center.

I walk over to Quintin as everyone is preparing for the search.

“Are you sure you can accompany us with your injury?”

“I have you, Elloise and Jason with me. We will most likely not be confronted by anything, and I will help look. That tentacled beast got hold of my arm, not my eyes.” He turns from me towards the rest of the sailors.

“Before we commence, remember to tread lightly, also, don’t get lost. You may find yourself in the Beyond.” The groups disperse after sharing a nervous laugh. Trees glow as the light from the sailors’ lanterns near them. I feel a hand on my shoulder before just as I step onto the sand.

“I want you to have this.” Elloise hands me a small silver dagger. The metal handle is warm.

“Thank you… but why?”

“Quintin can’t fight with that arm, and I’d sooner trust you with a blade than Jason. In case we get into trouble.” She glances at something in the corner of her eye then moves past me. I follow behind Jason, Quintin, and Elloise as we enter the the forests white glow. Quintins large hand lantern initiates a chain reaction between the trees. I see him relax in the light. I guess he is afraid of the dark... fifteen silent minutes pass before someone speaks.

“What is the child's name, should we be calling to it?” Jason sounds winded as he asks. That’s right, I never caught the name of that womans’ child. Quintin doesn't respond.

“Quintin, Jason asked you what the name of the kid we are looking for is.” I say slightly louder.

“There is no name.” There is a moment of silence. I stop walking.

“Excuse me?”

“There is no name because no child was taken.”

 

  

 

            Jason and Elloise stop in their tracks. A soft wind rustles radiant white leaves. It’s as if the island is breathing. We all exchange a nervous and confused look.

“Quintin, what are you talking about? I heard that woman crying about her child.” The confidence shows through my voice. I heard her speak of a child, I’m sure of it…

“Not her child, Alice.” Quintin turns to face us. His gaze is disquieting.

“Quintin, tell me you don’t-”

“I have to be sure. If they come for you, my suspicions will be correct.” The blood in my veins freeze, sending shivers over my skin. I struggle to find anything to say.

“What about the other sailors? And that woman, why was she screaming then?” Jason talks slow, in a calming tone.

“She saw the creatures, she knew the sea child was to blame. Her encounter with them has left her mute, and afraid. She was not able to tell anyone the truth but me, she would be too afraid to talk, even if she could. Now I tell you the truth, it’s the least I can do. As for the sailors, they’ll believe anything you tell them.”

“Why?” I stutter

“I had to get you here, what other way could I get you to come? Come on Alice! You’re smarter than this, I know you are.” He begins to breathe rapidly. “I had to bring you to the creatures, watch what they do with you. That would be enough proof…” His breathing slows. “Yes, then I’d know for sure that your Slate’s daughter. Plus I couldn’t sail here without a crew. There was an opportunity, and by Slate, I took it.”

“I think you’ve been at sea too often, Captain.” Elloise steps closer, with a very clean blade behind her back.

“I wouldn’t try that El.” Quintin raises a small pistol in the direction of Elloises’ forehead. She drops the blade into the black sand and raises her hands in front of her. I can see the corner of Quintins mouth twitch. There is a fire in his eyes that burns brighter than the color of his hair.

“Quintin you don’t know what you’re doing, just put the gun down.” Jason attempts to reason with him.

“I can’t. This is the only thing keeping her from attacking me. I’ve seen what Elloise can do, hand to hand combat is futile with her and her blades. She, however, is a terrible marksman.”

A wicked smile flashes over his face. His teeth glow in the dull white light.

“All we have to do is wait now, they should be coming soon. When I know it’s you, I will return you to the sea Alice, and then we can both be free from this darkness” My body shakes As Quintin speaks. I feel the eyes of unseen creatures watch us. This feeling is familiar, perhaps it’s my imagination, perhaps it always was. Maybe it’s a side effect of living in a black world, I cannot be sure of anything anymore. I want to run in the opposite direction, but my legs have mapped a different course. An anger I thought I was incapable of wells inside of me, trapping inside of a vessel I cannot control. Something else is moving my body. An otherworldly rage threatens to boil my blood and break my very bones. Quintins crazed eyes meet mine. My dagger meets his chest.

 

           

            Blood begins to spill from Quintins chest, soaking my hand and clothing in deep red. A fog lifts from my mind. The trees glow brighter. The wind is cooler. The island is breathing, I can hear its heartbeat too. I feel as if I’ve lived behind a clouded glass my entire life, a glass I have just shattered. It’s almost as if Quintin losing his life is enhancing mine. The things that once eluded my gaze have nowhere to hide, because I can see everything. Something pulls me back. Jason has yanked me away from Quintins body. Elloise is holding a gun. I try to focus on something. On anything. There is so much to see. Everything that has happened, and everything that will happen, is occurring right now. My vision fades to a brilliant white light.

  

 

            I regain consciousness. There is a tiny porthole above a desk that seems familiar. The boat? I lean up and rest on my forearms that ache with a dull pain. There is a knock at my door. Elloise sticks her head in.

“Oh! You’re awake.” She enters the room and sits at the foot of the bed. “Good morning, my hero.” Hero?

“What happened…?”

“Well, Quintins years at sea finally got to him. You stabbed him when he threatened to shoot me.” I remember this…

“Oh… yeah I remember that.” Realization finally hits me. “Did I… kill him?” Elloise sighs.

“That’s the truth, but Jason and I told the sailors he died protecting us from a beast of sorts. Though he doesn't deserve a legacy like that, we thought the real story was was a bit much.” I sit up fully. I search myself for any shred of remorse, but there is none.

"I see. How did I get here?"

"Jason and I carried you out.  We left Quintins body behind. The sailors believe the child crossed to the Beyond.  You have nothing to worry about, we took care of it all." A strange dizziness washes over my mind.

"Thank you." I smile softly. She smiles back, then leaves the room. I stand up and peer out the tiny porthole. The world is, as always, dark. But there is now something strangely comforting about the darkness. I head to the main deck. A strong wind comes from the north. I watch at the island becomes nothing more than a dark spot on the horizon. There are lights in the sky, they've began to blink again. I get the feeling that there is something far into the distance, perhaps it's watching me. I can’t help but smile. Waves crash against the side of the boat, spraying my skin with cool mist. I feel different. Something has changed.

 

 

© 2015 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
I appreciate feedback, if something is unclear please ask about it so I can edit the confusing parts. This is also pretty much a first draft, so there are bound to be some errors.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on March 7, 2015
Last Updated on March 11, 2015
Tags: mystery, fiction, steampunk-ish, creepy, Nautical, fairy tale, ?

Author

Sarah
Sarah

About
Sometimes I write things, other times I don't. more..

Writing