Last Words

Last Words

A Story by Sanskaar Raj

 

30th December. I was walking on the bank of the river behind those chaotic city streets.  Temperature was close to the freezing point, winter was on its height and the chilling winds made me shiver. Yet there was calmness and tranquility all around. This was the time when half of the population still could not get over the memories of the year while the other half keeps on planning for the next year, I was thinking, pondering over things that had happened over the past, the mistakes I committed, the happy and sad moments that I had with my friends and family. A lot had happened this year, some dreams got shattered to pieces, many more people came in my life while some left. May be I was hurt, I felt sorry for the things that happened this year. There were things that remain untold; there were misunderstandings that remained unfurnished. If only God gave me a chance to clear those. I sat near the bank, collecting pebbles from one hand and throwing it in the river from the other.  Last year, I sat on the same bank of the river; but was not alone. I could still feel someone’s holding my hand and sitting beside me.

 


“Will you read out that poetry you wrote for me?” She said.

“Only if you smile for me…”  I could have done anything to see her smiling.

She smiled and held my hands even closer.  I began.

You know, you are so different from the crowd,

Even in the mob, it’s only you who is loud.

What I feel for you, I can never define,

It can only be felt between your heart and mine.

 

That smile on your face, proves that you need me,

There is truth in your eyes that says that you will never leave me.

You are the face I will never forget, a mistake that I will never regret,

For you a thousand years, I can wait.

 

 

Even hundred different things, can never give me that pleasure you bring.

You are the only one, whom I dream, my joy and my tears reflected in stream.

Forgive me if I can’t give you the happiness that you desire,

But, I ‘ld try to be better than those thousand princes, for you the God can hire.

 

You are the reason I survive, for you, I am here and alive.

I will take your pain and your tear, with me nothing you will ever fear.

I pray that all the joy and happiness, for you it always shines,

What I feel for you, I can never define,

It can only be felt between your heart and mine.

 

I looked at her after I finished reading. Her eyes told everything.

 

“I will never leave you, I am so lucky to have you. I love you.” She said sobbing.

 

I kissed her forehead. “Let’s have an ice- cream”. I said. 

 

She nodded smiling.

 

I went to one corner of the bank where there was an ice- cream stall. I could see her throwing pebbles in the river. I wish that I could see her forever.

 

 

 

 

I found myself at the ice- cream stall with two cones.  I saw the bank there was no one sitting there.

There were some small poor children standing beside me. I handed the cones to them and they took it gladly.   May be some things in life should always remain untold, may be all one can hope is to end up with right regrets. There was a new year coming, may be….

I thought, turned back and walked again. The only thing I could say to myself was..

 

You are the face I will never forget, a mistake that I will never regret,

For you a thousand years, I can wait…”

 

 

© 2013 Sanskaar Raj


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on January 7, 2013
Last Updated on January 7, 2013
Tags: Love, Regrets

Author

Sanskaar Raj
Sanskaar Raj

Kolkata, Agnostic, India



Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)