Existential Therapy: An Introduction

Existential Therapy: An Introduction

A Story by Kara Emily Krantz
"

anything Existential fascinates me :)

"

 

Existential therapy is a therapy with deeply embedded philosophical roots. Jean-Paul Sartre, the French philosopher, is “generally credited with coining the term, Existentialism, to describe a movement in European philosophy concerned with the ontological issues of human existence.” (Minnillo) The notion of a “truth inside the evolving self” was first introduced by Soren Kierkegaard in the mid-1800’s. Essentially, “existentialism states that man exists and in that existence man defines himself and the world in his own subjectivity, and wanders between choice, freedom, and existential angst.” (thecry.com) “At the core of existential thought is the question, What is a human being? (i.e. what is it to exist?).” (Minnillo)

.

In the past, civilizations in the west, such as Greece and Renaissance Europe, were one of the few western civilizations which firmly believed in the presence and the power of the individual, especially when concerning the idea of freedom. During the first half of the twentieth century, American psychology was dominated by two schools of thought: behaviorism and psychoanalysis. Neither fully acknowledged the possibility of studying values, intentions and meaning as elements in conscious existence. Areas such as phenomenology attempted to influence perspectives, yet mainstream American psychology had been captured by the mechanistic beliefs of behaviorism and by the biological reductionism and determinism of classical psychoanalysis.

.

Existentialism was initially fashioned by Kierkegaard as a reaction against Friedrich Hegel’s philosophy of determinism. Existential therapy, then, clearly rejects the idea of a pre-determined path, and definitively embraces freedom—freedom of choice, of meaning, and freedom of life. This therapy focuses on searching for the value and meaning of life, especially as it relates directly to the individual. It is “based on the understanding that each person is the creator of his or her own life and has the freedom to choose how to respond to each moment of existence.” (Scholten)

.

Traditional methods of experimentation are formal and strict, speaking of variables, control groups, and statistics. In contrast, the theory of phenomenology, which focuses on subjective experience, was introduced by Edmund Husserl, and allows a phenomenon to reveal itself in its fullness. Existential therapy essentially began when Ludwig Binswanger attempted to synthesize the philosophies of phenomenology and existentialism into a therapy, and applied the philosophical concepts to the psychological ones.

.

In the diagnostic process, existential psychologists initially attempt to determine their client’s world view. Husserl entitled this an individual’s “Lebenswelt”, or their "lived world." This is the individual’s concrete, everyday world, including their physical, social, and especially their personal, worlds.
Also important are the concepts of time and space. It is imperative to understand a client’s view of past, present, and future. Where does the individual spend most of his/her time? With the concept of space, it is important to determine whether the client’s world is open, closed, warm or cold, moving or stagnant. Taken individually, perhaps these concepts appear to reveal little about the individual, but together these admissions disclose a great deal.

The existential approach is similar to that of the humanistic psychologists. Both focus on an inner life, but not the unconscious and hidden motives. It is not a goal for either of these models to predict and control behavior. Rather, both the humanists and the existentialists have a very optimistic view of human beings, and depart from other psychodynamic theories by maintaining that lives are not entirely determined by parents, pasts, or present circumstances. They both clearly reject the idea of determinism, and rather concentrate on the individual’s power to choose his or her own destiny. (Boeree)
 .

There are specific symptoms and issues found within existential therapy, most specifically in the form of existential anxiety. Existential anxiety can be both beneficial and damaging, often helping the individual become aware of the bigger issues in life and help him or her walk a more effective path. This sort of anxiety concerning existence assists us in becoming aware of any loss of connection or a separation from the self, or from others, or even from the world. Also, anxiety and fear can help people cope, and in this way, as well, normal anxiety is good. Anxiety can be a stimulus for growth as an individual becomes aware of and accepts his or her freedom.

.

On the other hand, fear can be crippling, perhaps even paralyzing, when it is not appropriately addressed and determined. Anxiety and fear often allow individuals to avoid responsibility for their acts, and avoid recognizing that there are always choices. Kierkegaard speaks of the “dizziness of freedom,” which paralyzes the individual from action. Anxiety and fear also encourage individuals to play it safe, and also to avoid real intimacy, which can lead to empty or completely absent relationships in their lives. In all these ways, neurotic anxiety is not good, for choices should be viewed as opportunities, not problems. 

.

 The complete, sensorial experience of life is one of the goals for the phenomenologists and existentialists alike. Even through experiences of death, accident, or trauma, an individual can be forced to open their eyes and view the world with a different palate of colors, often insisting upon individuals to reconsider how they live their lives. These terrible experiences can also cause individuals to accept responsibility for the direction of their lives, which ultimately is a goal for existential therapy.

.

The therapeutic relationship in existential therapy encourages growth, and requires a reciprocal faith and respect between the client and the therapist. Existential therapy is a journey taken by both the therapist and the client, and therefore the person-to-person relationship is key. Sharing experiences and reactions with genuine concern and empathy is essential.

.

Interactions between the therapist and the client are the essence of existential therapy. These interactions are called encounters, and unlike Freudian formalities or behavioral technicalities, there is much more direct involvement with the client in existential therapy. “Transference and countertransference are seen as natural parts of the encounter, not to be abused, of course, but not to be avoided either.” (Boeree)
L.

ogotherapy is a brand of existential therapy developed by Viktor Frankl. It derives from the Greek word logos, which can mean “study, word, spirit, God, or meaning.” This therapy focuses on the “will to meaning,” which is the basic striving of man to find and fulfill meaning and purpose in life. (Boeree) Other basic assumptions of logotherapy are self-transcendence, self-determinism, and individuality. Within logotherapy, it is essential to determine and discover meaning, even from the most terrible experiences. When the meanings are maladaptive and harmful to the client, it is necessary for the therapist to assist in changing those meanings to those that are healthier and more beneficial to the individual’s personal truth.

.

Existential therapy views existential anxiety as a foundation for various anxiety neuroses. The existential would see this anxiety as being due to an individuals unfilled responsibility and a lack of personal meaning in life. This anxiety is then placed upon a “problematic detail of life,” (Boeree) such as the phobic who concentrates his fear of heights on the ladder rather than on the true issue.
Similarly seen would be the obsessive-compulsive disorder within an individual. This generalized or specific dissatisfaction with a certain task (such as shutting off the stove or washing hands) is due to an ultimately unattainable perfection. “Because perfection in all things is, even for the obsessive-compusive, an impossibility, he or she focuses attention on some domain in life that has caused difficulties in the past.” (Boeree)

.

It is psychologist’s, such as Frankl’s, belief that "as soon as life's fullness of meaning is rediscovered, the neurotic anxiety... no longer has anything to fasten on." (Boeree)

.

The majority of existential psychologists understand and accept the relationship between psysiological and psychological influences on psychopathology. Frankl, for example, sees depression as founded in a "vital low." (Boeree).  Psychologically speaking, he would compare depression to a sense of feeling overwhelmed, unfulfilled, or inadequate.

.

Much of Frankl’s sentiments, then, are distinctly related to Kierkegaards early philosophies on existentialism. Spiritually speaking, Frankl sees depression as:

 

“’Tension between what the person is and what he ought to be.’ The person's goals seem unreachable to him, and he loses a sense of his own future.  Over time, he becomes disgusted at himself and projects that disgust onto others or even humanity in general.  The ever-present gap between what is and what should be becomes a "gaping abyss."  (Boeree)

 

Schizophrenia, in existential therapy, could perhaps be seen as a situation in which an individual eventually or suddenly begins to experience him or herself objectively rather than subjectively. While many people recognize thoughts are our own, the schizophrenic becomes passive, and views his thoughts and his being as separate entities, often perceiving his own thoughts as voices.
Some specialized techniques in existential therapy include reframing, which finds the positives in a situation, and dereflection, which redirects the client’s focus from that which is maladaptive to that which is healthy. Paradoxical intention is a more proactive technique, since it encourages the client to do exactly what he or she fears to do. For example, an individual who possesses anxiety while delivering speeches would be encouraged to give a speech. This technique is beneficial, for it gives control back to the client.

.

Existential therapy insists on remaining as close as possible to "the lived world." In phenomenology, psychologists have come a long way towards a rigorous method for describing life as it is lived. This makes existential psychology naturally applied: It moves effortlessly into the realms of diagnosis and psychotherapy; it is showing its face in the realm of education; and it reflects upon certain theories and practices within industrial and organizational psychology. (Boeree)

.

The ultimate goal of existential therapy is the autonomy of the client. Therefore, it is necessary to release a person from the therapeutic arena to that of the individuals own “life world,” where he or she can then become fully alive and human.
 

 

 


Works Cited


Boeree, C.G., “Personality Theories: Victor Frankl; Ludwig Binswanger”, Shippensburg
University, URL = http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/frankl.html, accessed April 16, 2005


Minnillo, Paul R., “Existential Psychology in Context: Rollo May, University of Georgia, URL =
http://www.arches.uga.edu/~minnillo/, accessed April 19, 2005


Slattery, Jeanne M., “Unit on Existential Therapy,” Clarion University, URL = 
http://psy1.clarion.edu/jms/cptexistentialpp.html, accessed April 15, 2005

© 2008 Kara Emily Krantz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A magnificent presentment of truth, especially for me. I have lived my life
as near to an existential existence as my thoughts could guide me. How
wonderful to read your intelligent efforts at writerscafe. This may help
others here in focusing their lives in the direction of more meaning.
Many cheers to you, sam

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I'm well behind the curve on this one, but thanks for sharing. Comparing existentialism to Hegel's determinism helped me better understand my existential roots.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

My head is three more words away from exploding.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is one of my favorite philosophies/modality...You are very indepth and comprehensive on this!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

what a great overview! I have my degree in existential phenomenology from a school that has a strong basis in humanistic psych. It's a shame that much of the psychological world doesn't recognize this as a beneficial therapy. The shared experience that comes from this is so rewarding (and also draining for the therapist at times). More people need to be aware of this option in therapy. Bravo for spreading the word and the love :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

this is painstackingly researched and i enjoyed it very much. you taught me a great deal in this essay and i shall to it for the future. it is going in the faves.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed reading this. It is both eloquent and informative.

At a more basic level I came across an article written by a black service users' group in London that investigated various residential homes to comment on what they felt worked and what needed improving. Their overriding recommendation was to ask professional carers to consider the care-recipients preferred lifestyle and to enable them to live it to their utmost ability. Obviously this means that any plan of care needs to mould and adapt to the changes that inevitably occur.

Wasn't it Sartre who said that 'man is condemned to be free' ?

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant! A few year's back I read Frankl's "Man's search for meaning" and found it fascinating. You have captured the essence of existential therapy very well! Are you an existential therapist??? One of my favorite quotes: "Now with God's help, I will become myself"-- Soren Kierkegaard

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

These approaches definitely seem better than the more simplistic and well-known branches of psychology. Humanistic is one of the more appealing ones, but it lacks something...and I feel like the answer lies here, in the information you've provided us with; these are like holistic humanism, with a practical eye to the more compex parts of human consciousness.

It could just be my ego regarding intellect - many therapies are too transparent, and smart people [who are too immature to try and help themselves] see through them and subsequently reject them. When I was diagnosed with schizophrenia, no one [except my best friend] was prepared to discuss or debate, intelligently, the best way for me to perceive the symptoms. They wouldn't treat me as an intelligent person, and because I couldn't handle being treated like a problematic 'patient', they basically told me to f*ck off. They want you gibbering or out of their office...the approaches and criteria available to them can only be applied to certian situations and has nothing to do with the individual, even the more introspective ones.

Sorry, i'm on a self-absorbed rant now.

I was just kind of relieved to read that something like this exists and is [it seems] taken seriously in some areas of Psychology. When I had depression [yep, me me me again, and I'm sorry but the personal examples kind of help me explain the effect your piece has had], I think it would have been 90% more helpful if i had felt able to discuss philosophical or existential ideas, because that kind of thing gets me down and in my opinion made up a big part of my mental health being messed up; to be actually encouraged to do so would have been great.

I skim-read parts of this because i was in a rush. think I'll come back to it soon.
It's quite well-written, although I'm not overly-keen on formal composition/academic essay styles.

Thanks for posting this, and for the friend request.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Anyone would be a fool, not wanting you to be a friend at the Cafe.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A magnificent presentment of truth, especially for me. I have lived my life
as near to an existential existence as my thoughts could guide me. How
wonderful to read your intelligent efforts at writerscafe. This may help
others here in focusing their lives in the direction of more meaning.
Many cheers to you, sam

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

14336 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 15, 2008

Author

Kara Emily Krantz
Kara Emily Krantz

http://karaemily.wordpress.com, MA



About
I am resolved to never be content with the lives of "quiet desperation" which so many of us lead, to continuously challenge myself, and forever walk in Beauty. I like pandas. I like writing poe.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..