John O'Donohue: in memoriam

John O'Donohue: in memoriam

A Story by Kara Emily Krantz
"

My most beloved author, John O'Donohue, passed away a few months ago, at age 52. I wish to honor him in any small way that I may.

"

“To enter into the gentleness of your own soul changes the tone and quality of your life… you learn to see how wonderfully precious this one life is. You begin to see through the enchanting veils of illusion that you had taken for reality. You no longer squander yourself on things and situations that deplete your essence” ( 78 )

I couldn’t sleep last night, thinking about John O’Donohue. It is unlike me to care so excessively about the loss of someone I’ve never met, and of a sort of “celebrity”-like status. However, I can feel the loss of his presence on this earth, and it saddens me on a very selfish level that I was never able to meet him, to shake his hand, to tell him how profoundly he has affected me.


I know that it’s a beautiful thing that he has returned to the earth that he has always cherished so dearly, but as I said, selfishly I was looking forward to many years of him bestowing his wisdom to the world, and to me. I also anticipated joining him for one of his week-long retreats in Ireland, and it is hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea that this can now never happen.

 

As a (small) tribute to him, I want to take the time to type up a few excerpts from my favorite of his books, Beauty: The Invisible Embrace. This is a publication which has absolutely changed my life. This is a book of which I have been unable to read past the first 100 pages; its effect on me is that profound and brilliant. I hope you take the time to read some of this, even if only because I took the laborious (:P) effort of typing it out. Ignore the fact that I type 75+ wpm, and humor me. :P

“The human soul is hungry for beauty; we seek it everywhere - in landscape, music, art, clothes, furniture, gardening, companionship, love, religion, and in ourselves. When we experience the Beautiful, there is a sense of homecoming. Some of our most wonderful memories are of beautiful places where we felt immediately at home. We feel most alive in the presence of the Beautiful for it meets the needs of the soul… In the experience of beauty we awaken and surrender in the same act… Without any of the usual calculation, we can slip into the Beautiful with the same ease as we slip into the seamless embrace of water; something ancient within us already trusts that this embrace will hold us.” (2)

If you notice, this passage can be located on page TWO of his book, and it is just a small glimpse into the genius that is his piece of art. I remember the day I found this book - I was with my Aunt Gin, and we were in Tatnuck Bookseller in Worcester, MA (now out of business) and I wandered over to the Spiritual section. The title caught my eye, and as soon as I opened the book and read a passage, I thought I was dreaming. I turned to another page, found myself transported again, and could barely believe my heart. Here were words that perfectly reflected the secret thoughts and dreams of my Soul. Here was a man who was unafraid to write about the great Truths and Beauty of this world. And after that glimpse, I was never the same. For a while, I would read a page or two a day, but after a bit even that became too intense for me. Now, I usually read a couple pages a month, and that is enough to carry me through, to transport and inspire me.

“Beauty is mostly forgotten and made to seem naive and romantic. (3) Sadly, whether from resentment, fear or blindness, beauty is often refused, repudiated or cut down to the size of our timid perceptions.” (4)

This following passage calls forth ideas that I am currently considering for a book of my own:

“There are secret sources of courage inside every human heart; yet courage needs to be awakened in us. The encounter with the Beautiful can bring such awakening. Courage is a spark taht can become the flame of hope, lighting new and exciting pathways in what seemed to be dead, dark landscapes.” (6)

 

“When we awaken to the call of beauty, we become aware of new ways of being in the world. We were created to be creators. At its deepest heart, creativity is meant to serve and evoke beauty… The wonder of the Beautiful is its ability to surprise us. With swift, sheer grace, it is like a divine breath that blows the heart open.” (7)

 

“Our deepest self-knowledge unfolds as we are embraced by Beauty.” ( 8 )

A section of his book that really started to unfold secret parts of my heart was a section called ‘In Difficult Times to Keep Something Beautiful in Your Heart’. It begins like this:

“There are times when life seems little more than a matter of struggle and endurance, when difficulty and disappointment form a crust around the heart. Because it can be deeply hurt, the heart hardens. There are corners in every heart which are utterly devoid of illusion, places where we know and remember the nature of devastation. Yet though the music of the heart may grow faint, there is in each of us an unprotected place that beauty can always reach out and touch.” (16-17)

Honestly, this is taking a lot out of me to even glance back at the passages in his book which I have marked up and starred- words that have completely altered my paradigms and encouraged my soul to breathe again. I wonder if without the seeds of hope and beauty Mr. O’Donohue has planted in my heart with his words, if I would ever be where I am now - on this incredible journey. Dreaming dreams long forgotten.

 

John O’Donohue writes about how a single thought can alter a person’s entire life-world, and that concept has always held so true with me. He writes that “a person can dwell inside a thought. Sometimes a thought is the most intimate and sacred temple, a place where the silence of the earth is wed to the fire of heaven.” (43)

 

“It is everywhere, and everything has beauty; it is merely a matter of discovering it.” (49)

 

Oh gosh, I will stop this now. Partly because I don’t want to go on too long, and lose your attention, and partly because I may burst. I guess all I’m trying to convey is the profound effect this man and his words have had on me, and how he will continue to inspire me on my own journey to touch the world and people with my thoughts and words. We have lost a great man, but the world beyond has reclaimed something pure and beautiful, which always belonged to another dimension. I will attempt to gracefully accept that, but damn it!

 

Damn it.


“True poetic beauty emerges when the poet is absolutely faithful to the uniqueness of her own voice… the depth of that exposure seems to call beauty.” (81)

 

 

Two of my own pieces have been inspired by Mr. O'Donohue's work. They are entitled "the brightness of white" and "the secret life of black". They are my most prized possessions, and I am more proud of these two works than I am of anything else I have penned. I had dreamed of one day not only completing the series of poems (about color) but also one day sharing my efforts with Mr. O'Donohue himself. I understand now that this can never happen, but I still hope to touch the world the way he did, and continue to be inspired by him. 

 

brightness of white:

 

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sapphiresunbeam/43064/

 

secret life of black:

 

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/sapphiresunbeam/54942/

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Kara Emily Krantz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your tribute to John is evidence of his immortality; your sharing his grasp of beauty
extends his real existence. To say beauty is in the mind of the beholder has reality
that we can share as you write. We know so well how language lifts us to our
heaven on earth and expands our hearts beyond all other activities of life. You
have given me John and that means I know more of beauty. I feel more contentment now
and I thank you...sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Hello Kara, I didn't read anything by him but I loved your text how you are giving him tribute and I am now going to read the other poem. love u lara.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your tribute to John is evidence of his immortality; your sharing his grasp of beauty
extends his real existence. To say beauty is in the mind of the beholder has reality
that we can share as you write. We know so well how language lifts us to our
heaven on earth and expands our hearts beyond all other activities of life. You
have given me John and that means I know more of beauty. I feel more contentment now
and I thank you...sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Kara it is amazing how someone can touch our lives only threw their words whether it be music or the written... I'll be honest in that I have never read anything he has written but to see the passages you display in this tribute and the overwhelming effect he could have on someone as precious and talented as you I can see he was a gift to the world of literature... I know his loss effected you deeply and I think that attributes to your amazing soul combines with his humanitarian side... I think this is a great tribute to your idol... I know it makes you think how precious life is that's why we must always let those we love know how we feel and leave no doubt for tomorrow isn't guaranteed... a lesson i learned from my mother's passing... my heart goes out to you in your grief my friend.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

914 Views
3 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 20, 2008
Last Updated on June 20, 2008

Author

Kara Emily Krantz
Kara Emily Krantz

http://karaemily.wordpress.com, MA



About
I am resolved to never be content with the lives of "quiet desperation" which so many of us lead, to continuously challenge myself, and forever walk in Beauty. I like pandas. I like writing poe.. more..

Writing