Refusal

Refusal

A Story by Kara Emily Krantz
"

I need to get this out.

"

 

I just realized a few crucial things.

 

First of all, I barely know anybody who is happy. And I don’t even mean ‘truly’ happy - I mean happy in any form of the word. I mean mediocre happy. I barely know anybody who is mediocrally happy.

 

Secondly, the crucial people in my life want me to surrender. They want me to SURRENDER. They want me to surrender myself. My values. My dreams. My authenticity.

 

Thirdly, people are asleep. They are blind, and they prefer to be blind, because it’s safe that way. And if they stay that way, they never have to pay attention to my first point: that they are not even mediocre.

 

I could keep numbering my points, but I’m finding that terribly annoying.

 

In my head I’m thinking quotes like “rage against the machine” and “rat in a cage.”. I’m feeling trapped in a box that for some reason people are determined to keep me in.

 

Why? Why are people so AFRAID OF ME? Why do my ideas cause them such agitation, make them so uneasy? Why are my values and beliefs worth fighting with me over, and yet other people can be addicted to substances and money and sex, and that’s OKAY? That’s healthy. That’s normal. Would such “normalcy” in me actually placate these key figures in my life? Would they then desist, saying “She has a complete lack of respect for herself, and has traded dreams for reality - thank GOD.”

 

It all makes me sick. I don’t understand how people can live lives of such quiet desperation, and not do anything about it. And then EXPECT ME to do the same.

 

I’m ranting. And I’m angry.

I’m never angry.

 

But there are things to be angry about.

 

There are things we should simply not accept.

© 2009 Kara Emily Krantz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This rant is so right on! People want you to give in and give up because misery LOVES company! They want you to surrender because what you are, what you value reminds them of how mediocre they have been, are presently and probably will be, their entire lives. Rare is the person who remains true to self. Be a rarity, Kara Emily Krantz. Excellent write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This rant is so right on! People want you to give in and give up because misery LOVES company! They want you to surrender because what you are, what you value reminds them of how mediocre they have been, are presently and probably will be, their entire lives. Rare is the person who remains true to self. Be a rarity, Kara Emily Krantz. Excellent write!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Unhappy people usually don't want to see anyone happy, especially if someone obtains happiness by his or her own terms. Such success is a slap in the face to other who couldn't do the same, and their bitterness eats them whole. I agree that we live in a mediocre world. I do not buy into the philosophy that everyone is special and unique. Too many times have I met the same people again and again and again. Unfortunately, I have to accept that maybe I myself am not special, but I must be fair.

And we are asleep, we are so sedated. There's so much going on that we're clueless about. But it's so hard to be educated. There are so many sides to every issue. The media blows everything out of proportion. We're bombarded with reality TV shows and the news wants to talk about Michael Jackson ad nauseam or Britney Spears's custody drama, as if we should truly care. Sometimes I wonder if I'd be happier if I just gave in and did what was expected of me; just forfeit all free thought and go with the flow. The more I learn, the more disturbed I become and wonder if I myself will ever find that happiness of which you speak.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow! This is one heck of a write here, I say let the steam blow when needed it feels good, to let it all loose. You made a wonderful point here as well. Well vented write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

we are living in a world of turnaround monsters, built into the walls and machinery of a society planned to suit some and screw the rest with no conscience. It's no wonder the average man attempts to subscribe just to keep his head with the rest, say yes to the wicked and brother and you'll thrive. So much so goes the belief that mothers and fathers hope for hardness from their child. Is that true or what?

But what is the price.

Im not saying youre perfect, I used to think I was and now I see im not, so I figure prolly no one is, rather its a contsant try and fight.
I think that aiming to be a good graceful person is in our reality like sending youself made as a snowflake against the oncoming of hell.
And if youre trying, heck yea! And all the power I can give to ya.
Sounds dramatic but I think you know its not.

Keep your own eyes open cos this above, what you're saying,
and everyday, and everyway you react,
if you allow holes in your manner for hurt to derail you
you allow and call for the devil {to use a common term for bad energy} to come get you.
More, He wants to, of course he does, you're fighting him, and truly so very few prolly are.

you're a prize. realize.

thus, find more faith into turning your perception of yourself into truth rather than try,
let the wicked words of the cruel world, no matter whos mouth they fall from only be a guide to tell you precise
what you must work on next.
treat it as test, believe in and not boast of your best
and I betcha you'll change them all
like you want to,
help, comfort, expect best for best
and be solid and authentic to yourself in the meantime.

Dont let them make you bow,
instead bow of your own humilty. give it with love,
understand what "it is" when they call your kindness weakness and forgive them so you can lead them. the goal is to get as many at the end
home.


I understand, Im fighting too and I f**k up all the time. And then I try again;)
the bad in the world is strong, the humbler you are and the more flexible you are in your suit of ego the easier you can dance around the games.

the games will continue for all of us till the end of times. price for being born human, bigger gifts bigger goals.


>






Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

All I can say is that this is an amazing write. No one should accept unhappiness in their lives when wonderful is out there just waiting to be grabbed. The refusal to accept things as they are is just not in my vocabulary. Doctors told me that my mind was slowly slipping away. I didn't sit back and wait for the darkness to envelop me. I read. I wrote. Now four books later, I see the light. I still have memory problems, but nothing like 6 years ago. Reach for the brass ring. It is atainable if you want it bad enough.

Loved this

Author: Nancy Lee Shrader

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Thanks for getting this out. All good writing stems from raw emotion. I doubt you will get others to change their perspective, your likely choices are to ignore the opposition or distance yourself from it. As for happiness, take every bit you can get, but don't try to be happy all the time. First, it's an impossible goal, and second, happiness is not the only virtue in life. The mindless drones you rage against haven't figured that out yet, and they may never figure it out.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

What can I say here?

I love you so very much, yes, I do.

This makes me sad, it not onl makes me worry for you but also to look at myself and how I simply accept life as is, no matter how dull, no matter what dreams I must step upon in order to do so.

Are we all happy? No. But most of us are comfortable and too afraid that happiness may backfire...so, what little makes us happy is enough.

Let me know what's going on, you're right here, in my heart, Darling, making me smile no matter who you decide to be.

~me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

early in the stage of "seeing" is the disappointment and outrage that others don't see as clearly you; but remember that your "seeing" is a recent event, or rather direction, and that one of the things that can most inhibit your flight into freedom is carrying the weight of judgment...better to be a little humble, and greatful, for these things come by grace, and are yours to share (letting your light shine), not bludgeon...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I must say Kara you really let out some steam and for good reason... you made some valid points... unfortunate most people aren't happy because they are playing it safe and there for unfulfilled in there lives.

The second point really gets me cause I feel that one too, those that love us should want us to be ourselves and follow what ever path we choose, succeed or fail we need to make those choices, they think they hold us down because they love us and want to protect us when really they are selfish and afraid that if we succeed then they can't keep us near and in there grasp. Therefore making the point for your third statement.

Now the point of why are people afraid of you and your ideas are the people that are afraid of thinking outside the box but soon forget the greatest discovers come from that... if you slightly disagree with societies standards people freak because they realize everything they believed may be wrong. On the topic of normalcy what is normal and who decides that... some would be called crazy for standing in the middle of the road singing at the top of their lungs... why is that not normal, I mean isn't showing an ounce of happiness not normal....

Love this piece... live your life your way and you will be happier then the average joe and that is true success.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

575 Views
9 Reviews
Added on November 23, 2008
Last Updated on January 23, 2009

Author

Kara Emily Krantz
Kara Emily Krantz

http://karaemily.wordpress.com, MA



About
I am resolved to never be content with the lives of "quiet desperation" which so many of us lead, to continuously challenge myself, and forever walk in Beauty. I like pandas. I like writing poe.. more..

Writing