late night drives & ex-lovers

late night drives & ex-lovers

A Poem by Kara Emily Krantz

You revved the engine and burned out into the night.

The glow of the interior lights infused the car with shadows;
I found myself trapped inside that mustang, relearning the angles of your face
and the way your eyes remind me of everything
I used to know so well.

There was an awareness I couldn’t shake
and all I could feel (oh yes I could feel)
all I could feel was that feel that
feel was that familiar ache.

I crossed my ankles and focused on my cowboy boots,
rather than the way you glanced at me
with those depthless, delicious eyes.

It was barely understood by the imperceptible
tilt of my chin, the slight pout of my lips,
but I wanted you to kiss me
more than I wanted my next breath;

And I knew that within minutes your fingers would be
tangled in my hair, crushing the delicate flower
I had placed there, and your arms would be pinning me
against the window.

Your reckless whispers
burning my ear and
fogging up the glass.

© 2009 Kara Emily Krantz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is going in my favorites! In its way, this poem brings to mind the quiet girl in class, who everyone knows doesn't have much to say, until she gets in front of the class one day and people are floored by the depth and meaning of her words. I love those last three lines...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

once more i read your words and need a cold shower to cool off. lol the goddess of love poetry strikes again.

pruf

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautiful. Full of passion and dilemmas. The confusion is always there when a relationship ends and yet the feelings, the "heartache" remains.
Great write! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh god... retuning to ex-lovers?

Although passionate, it always seems to be a mistake.
You want it because its the last thing you want...
kinda stuck.
I've always enjoyed your writing- it never disappoints.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

http://poeticvoice.ning.com/

We are an online writing community that provides writers with the feedback, motivation, and advice needed to achieve their writing goals.The Poetic Voice Community is fast and easy to join, and you will not get lost in it's easy maneuvering features. We here at Poetic Voice also hope to grow as a community of friends. Our intention, and wish is to learn and share with others. Basically we believe an open mind, and heart can promote growth. We hope to gain an understanding that can stretch and reach around the world.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The 2nd stanza moved me in particular. The fogging up the glass ending did not to me represent a very personal memory, but in fact, reminded me of some scene in Titanic. You combined sensuality with surrealism in a way I found very satisfactory.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your writing has such a beautiful depth of emotion and richness, Kara. Powerful imagery, filled with the feelings of love, the vibrance of all that is passion. So well written... Amazing piece from an amazing human being... or is that human bean? Well.. no matter.. Extraordinary! Happy New Year!



Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Joz
This piece lures you in from the very beginning, great voice and tone. Looking forward to reading more :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh, wow! such passion and emotion, you definitely took me there

beautiful poetry

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Your images are great as usual. I loved the second half of line two (relearning the angles of your face.) You make your subject matter sink into the skin of your reader, and when it hits the blood stream many things are clear. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2098 Views
23 Reviews
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on December 6, 2009
Last Updated on December 6, 2009

Author

Kara Emily Krantz
Kara Emily Krantz

http://karaemily.wordpress.com, MA



About
I am resolved to never be content with the lives of "quiet desperation" which so many of us lead, to continuously challenge myself, and forever walk in Beauty. I like pandas. I like writing poe.. more..

Writing