The Princess and the Monster

The Princess and the Monster

A Story by Sarah
"

This is a short story about a Princess fighting to be with the one she loves while evading an arranged marriage and her father who wont accept her being in love with a commoner.

"

The Princess and The Monster

By Sarah



Chapter 1 �" Runaway Princess

 

One beautiful sunny day in a castle there was a princess; she was the most beautiful girl in all the land. She was kind, caring and was pure of heart. She had long blond hair and big blue eyes the colour of the ocean. Her favourite dress that she always wears is pink and blue with red flowers along the bottom and pink slipper shoes with red roses on them and her name was Annabelle. One day she was sitting in her room reading her favourite book when there was a knock on her door.

“Enter.” She called out.

Their butler entered, his name was Bernard, he’s clothes were black and white and those that a butler would wear, smart and simple. He had his black hair combed back like always.

“Princess Annabelle, your mother and father would like to speak to you in the library.” said Bernard.

“Thank you, Bernard.” said Annabelle as she stood up.

Bernard bowed from the waist as she walked past him and out the door. As she walked down the hall she was wondering what they wanted to see her about. Maybe it has something to do with my birthday? She thought. When she reached the library, she knocked on one of the big doors. She heard her father call for her to enter. She opened one of the big wooden doors and stepped inside.

“You wanted to speak me.” She said as she entered the library.

“Ah, yes as you are well aware your birthday is coming up in two days time” began her father.

Her father was the king of Tryson. He was a handsome man whose beauty had aged with him. He wore the robes of royalty with a magnificent crown upon his head which held a big red ruby in the centre.

“Yes?”

“Well in two days’ time you will also be meeting and marring your husband to be” finished her mother.

Her mother was equally beautiful. Annabelle had been told many a times that she looked much like her mother except for her eyes. Her mother had deep brown eyes as did her father. No one knew how she got eyes that colour of blue. Her mother was wearing a dress that shows how regal she is. With a tiara on her head showing that she is the queen.

“What! No, no t-this can’t be happening” said Annabelle. “Who…who am I to marry?”

“King Watson” said her father.

“WHAT!” Annabelle said in shock. “N-no never that man is horrible he treats his people as though they were nothing more than dirt under his feet. He cares for nothing more that power, gold, jewels and money. I will never marry that monster of a man!”

“You will marry him whether you like it or not. This has been decided for a long time now” said her father.

“NO! No, I will not!” said Annabelle, getting close to shouting it at them. Tears were beginning to form in the corners of her eyes.

“It has been decided and arranged, I’m sorry daughter but you will be married in two days’ time.” said her mother beginning to raise her voice.

“NEVER!” Screamed Annabelle, tears streaming down her cheeks, with that she turned around and ran off.

She ran down the stairs and though the castle and the big front door and the seeps, making a sharp right turn at the bottom and making her way to the royal stables. She ran into the stables to the last stall on the left, there she found her best friend, Phoenix. He is a beautiful white horse but he is no ordinary horse he is an enchanted horse, he was an amazing white colour almost as though no stain would ever dear to come near him, with a long flowing mane and tail. Because he is an enchanted horse he has the ability to talk, he can also fly with his amazing strong white wings that he hides so as not to attract too much attention. Phoenix looked up from his hay he was eating when Annabelle entered the stables. He was full of concern the second he saw her tear stained face and red rimmed eyes.

“Annabelle, what is it?” asked Phoenix.

“Mother and father have just told me that I am to be married to King Watson, he is the meanest man who ever lived. He only cares for himself and treats his people like dirt and I’m supposed to meet him in two days’ time and marry him on my birthday” replied Annabelle sobbing.

“What are you going to do?” asked Phoenix.

 “I don’t know.” said Annabelle “I need…I don’t know what I need. Griselda, she will know what to do.”

“We have a long way to go” said Phoenix. “We had better get started.”

Annabelle gave Phoenix a big hug.

“Thank you, Phoenix.”

Annabelle opened the door and Phoenix walked out of the stable. She swung herself on to his back and they made their way out of the stables. Once outside Phoenix made a gesture that he was going to fly but Annabelle stopped him before he could reveal his wings and take off.

“No wait don’t fly I don’t want mother and father to notice us. They may try to stop us” she said.

With that Phoenix and Annabelle made their way through the streets of the kingdom. People waved and smiled at her as she rode by and she in turn waved back, plastering a smile on her face. When they reached the furthest edge of the Kingdom Phoenix took off in a great ground eating gallop. When Annabelle looked back for just a minute she watched as the kingdom slowly got smaller and smaller. She knew that if Griselda couldn’t help her she wouldn’t return to the place she once called home, the place she grew up. She knew her parents would make her marry King Watson no matter how much she pleads and begs they will make her. This was the one way she knew to fix it or at least try.


Chapter 2 �" An Old Friend

 

As Annabelle and Phoenix rode along a road on their way to Witch Mountain at a much slower pace; when Annabelle heard something in the bushes.

“Did you hear that?” she asked Phoenix.

Phoenix stopped to listen turning his ears this way and that, tying to hear what Annabelle had heard but he heard nothing.

“I don’t hear a thing” said Phoenix.

With that they kept on going, when they saw a camp site up ahead. As they approached the camp sight they found no one but a horse there.

“That horse looks very familiar.” said Annabelle as she got off Phoenix. “I’m sure I have seen that horse before.”

Slowly so as not to spook the horse she walked towards it all the time thinking where she had seen it. She was a beautiful palomino horse with a white blaze down her face. As she got closer she slowly started to recognize the horse, just as it was all coming together someone jumped down from the trees above and held a sword at her throat.

“Xena?” asked Annabelle.

“Annabelle?” asked the warrior, lowering her dagger.

Out of the corner of her eye Annabelle saw someone pop out of the bushes.

“Xena what are you doing here?” asked Annabelle.

“Me and Gabriel are travelling, helping those who need it. Annabelle, it’s so good to see you again.” said Xena. “But what are you doing here?”

Xena was tall with long black hair that reached down to the top of her bottom. She had green eyes and light pink coloured lips but she didn’t seem to smile much. She wears a black dress with a skirt ending half way up her thighs. The dress was made of black leather with knee high flat boots; she carries a sword on her back.

“I’m on my way to Witch Mountain”

“Witch Mountain, why would you want to go there?” asked the girl who popped out the bushes.

“Annabelle this is Gabriel, Gabriel this is Annabelle. We have been friends since we were little” said Xena.

Gabriel had blond hair and brown eyes her lips were a light rose colour with a smile of an angle. She wears a skirt that goes down to the top of her knees with a small top that shows her bellybutton, she also carries a stick that she uses to fight with, which she received from the Amazons.

“In a way, we grew up together, that is until Xena disappeared one day and that was the last time I saw her.” said Annabelle.

“Your name sounds very familiar, I know that I’ve heard it somewhere.” said Gabriel.

“It might have something to do with me being the Princess of Tryson.” said Annabelle as though it was nothing.

“Princess?” said Gabriel bowing in amazement.

“Please don’t bow I am a Princess no more” said Annabelle.

“What why?” asked Xena. “When did this happen?”

“My mother and father told me today that on my sixteenth birthday I was to meet and marry my husband to be.”

“I know that I am against arranged marriages but isn’t the duty of a princess to marry whom her parents choose?” asked Gabriel.

“In some kingdom’s, it is, but not so much in my kingdom. Many of my past relatives have married for love and others because their parents have arranged the marriage. But the reason I don’t want to marry this man is because he is King Watson. He is a beast of a man that is rued, horrible and he treats his people like dirt under his feet and I am already in love with someone else.” said Annabelle.

“Where did you say you were heading?” asked Xena.

“Witch Mountain.” replied Annabelle.

“Then we will accompany you.” said Xena.

“What?” said Gabriel.

“We will make a start in the morning.” said Xena ignoring Gabriel’s outcry.

“What? We’re heading to Witch Mountain? Where the witches live?” asked Gabriel.

“And monsters but do not worry you will be fine” said Annabelle.

They all settled down around the camp fire, where Gabriel cooked dinner, Xena and Annabelle talked and talked till it became late, were they then all settled down for the night. Phoenix lay down and Annabelle curled up next to him. That night as Annabelle slept, she had a horrible dream, a dream that was telling her something was wrong. That trouble will be waiting for her at Witch Mountain. Annabelle had never had a dream like that before.

 

  

Chapter 3 - I’m Off To See A Witch

 

The next day they where about to seat off when Xena heard something in the bushes, she and Gabriel went to see what it was leaving Annabelle to finish packing up camp. Just as she had finished putting out the camp fire someone snuck up behind her and grabbed her. He smelt as though he hadn’t bathed in months, she could visibility see the dirt that was caked on his hands.

“What’s a beautiful girl like you doing out here?” asked the man, his horrible grate voice sounding in her ear and the smell of his horrid smelling breath travelling to her nose.

Annabelle grabbed the man’s arm that was around her and using all her might flung him over her shoulder, he landed on his back with a loud thump and the wind momentarily knocked out of him. Hearing the commotion Xena and Gabriel came running, bursting out of the bushes’.

“What happened?” asked Xena looking at the sight in front of her.

“This man attacked me from behind.” replied Annabelle pointing at the man.

Xena walked up to the man who was still lying on the ground panting. Xena grabbed his hair lifting him up slightly and looked him in the face.

“Why did you attack my friend?” she asked.

“I don’t have to tell you anything.” The man snapped.

“Oh no.” said Xena.

She grabbed his nose between her first and second fingers and twisted. They all heard a crack and knew that his nose was broken. The man cried out in pain.

“Ok, ok I was looking for money and valuables.” replied the man.

“You wont get any thing from here so leave, NOW!” shouted Xena releasing the man.

The man got up and ran as fast as he could, disappearing into the bushes. Xena went back to packing up the camp site as though nothing had happened. A few minutes later they were all packed up and they were ready to head off.

“You ready?” asked Annabelle.

“I’m ready.” said Xena.

“So am I.” said Gabriel.

Annabelle flung herself on to Phoenix’s back as Xena mounted her own horse. They then set off to Witch Mountain, on their way Annabelle and Xena talked more, as they so much to catch up on. After all it has been seven long years since they had seen each other.

 

As the sun began setting they reached Witch Mountain. Witch Mountain is a very large mountain and on this mountain, there were many houses some with strange smoke rising from the chimneys, there were also a few caves on it. The houses contain witches and in the caves, have monsters living in them and this is where our story really begins.

 

 

Chapter 4 �" Grazilda The Witch

 

“Finally, we made it” said Annabelle.

“Let’s head on up then” said Phoenix.

“What? We’re not going up there, are we?” asked Gabriel.

“Yes of course, is there a reason we should not?” Annabelle asked.

“There is a reason it’s called Witch Mountain.” said Gabriel.

“Because witches live here” replied Annabelle. “Oh, and do not forget the few monsters that live in the caves.”

“Exactly, there are witches.” said Gabriel. “And monsters?”

“Yes, yes don’t worry we will be fine but if you really are that scarred then you can stay down here” said Annabelle. “Come on Xena hope up, Phoenix can take us up there it will be much faster.”

Annabelle offered Xena her hand and Xena put her foot on top of Annabelle’s, swinging up behind Annabelle. Phoenix revealed his wings then took off flying. They flew all the way to the top of the mountain, to the house on the very top.

 

The house was made of brick with a red door and blue around the windows. Phoenix landed next to the house and Xena and Annabelle dismounted, then made their way to the door. Annabelle didn’t need to knock on the door as the witch who lived there opened the door before she even had the chance to think about knocking. She had green hair that fizzed out in every direction; black eye’s and she wore a long black dress that reached all the way to the floor. She was older but not too old, you could see the wisdom in her face.

“Annabelle what are you doing here and the day before your birthday I might add.” asked the witch.

“Griselda it’s good to see you too. I’ve come here hoping that you can help me. Mother and father have told me that tomorrow I was too meet my husband to be and marry him, but I am already in love with someone else and the man I am to marry is a beast of a man” explained Annabelle.

“Who is it you are to marry?” asked Griselda.

“King Watson.” said Annabelle.

An almost look of disgust but not quite came over Griselda’s face for an instant before she spoke again.

“That horrible man, now I see why you ran away no one wants’ to marry him and for good reason. Come in, come in.” said Griselda stepping aside.

“Thank you.” said Annabelle.

Annabelle and Xena entered and Griselda closed the door be hind them, hurrying off to the pot over the fire. As they walked into the house they saw a fireplace with a big black pot on it boiling something and a couple of animal heads on the walls, rugs and a small bed in a corner with a black cat sleeping on it. In a cabinet on the wall were all sorts of animal parts, spices and other gruesome things. In one corner were a couple of chars.

“Come sit nothing will bite.” said Griselda. “Well the cat might but only if you sit on him.”

“Thanks.” said Xena sitting down.

“Now what would you like my dear?” asked Griselda.

“Well I was wandering if you had a potion or spell that could change mother and father’s minds?” asked Annabelle. “Get them to call off the wedding.”

“Well I believe that I do but wouldn’t it be better to just talk to them about it instead?” asked Griselda.

“I kind of tyred that already but they said that it’s for my own good but its not, its for their own good and I am all ready in love with someone else.” said Annabelle.

Just then a little yellow bird flew in the window with something in its mouth.

“Letter for Princess Annabelle.” said the bird.

“Thank you” said Annabelle reaching out to take the letter.

The bird handed her the letter and flew back out the window. She opened the letter and read it.

“Oh, no.” said Annabelle dropping the letter to grip the table nearest her so she wouldn’t fall to the floor.

“What does the letter say?” asked Xena.

“Read it.” said Annabelle still needing the table for support, she had almost gone as white as a sheet and had an almost look of fear on her face.

Xena picked up the letter and read it while Griselda guided Annabelle to a seat.

 

 

To Princess Annabelle

 

 I have your precious boyfriend.

 If you want to see him a

 live you will marry King

 Watson before the sun sets

 tomorrow or you will never

 see him again. You have till

 sun set under stand!

 

 Robbie the monster

 

 

“Who is Robbie the monster?” asked Xena looking at Griselda.

“He is the biggest monster on Witch Mountain.” said Griselda.

“You mean that he’s here, at Witch Mountain?” asked Annabelle.

“Yes, he lives in the second cave from the bottom.” said Griselda.

“Then that is our next stop.” said Annabelle.

“You will need this.” said Grazilda walking over to a big chest.

The big chest at the end of her bed, she opened it with a creek, reached in she pulled out a cloak made of black velvet. She carried it over to Annabelle and handed it to her.

“This is a cloak of invisibility. It will help you on your journey.”

Annabelle stood up and took the cloak from Griselda.

“Thank you so much.” Annabelle said.

She put the cloak on and it fit perfectly, it had a feel as though it was made for her.

“It’s the magic.” said Griselda; she had gone back to the cauldron over the fire.

“What?” asked Annabelle as she wasn’t paying full attention, she was admiring the cloak.

“It’s the magic in the cloak that makes it feel like it was made for you.” explained Griselda.

“But how did you know?” asked Xena.

“How did I know you were coming? How did I know you were here? It’s all the same. There is a reason that everyone does what they do. Like why Annabelle’s parents want her to marry King Watson.” explained Griselda.

“I never thought about it that way.” said Annabelle.

“Like I said there is a reason for everything. You might like to leave now as your friend is waiting and is getting jumpier every second you stay here.” said Griselda. “By the way you might want to tell her to calm down before she attracts unwanted attention.”

“Thank you so much Griselda.” said Annabelle.

“You are most welcome, now you had best be on your way” said Griselda.

Annabelle and Xena left the house and found Phoenix waiting outside. They mounted Phoenix and took off heading back down to the bottom of the mountain. There they landed next to Gabriel who had set up camp and was clearly was looking a little jumpy.

“What happened?” Gabriel asked as Xena and Annabelle dismounted.

“Everything went fine.” Annabelle said walking towards the camp site Gabriel had set up. “Oh and by the way Griselda said to calm down and stop getting so jumpy.”

“What? Wait how did she know?” Gabriel asked.

“She’s head witch, she knows everything. She also said that if you don’t calm down you’ll attract unwanted attention.”

“What unwanted attention?”

“This is Witch Mountain, witches and monsters live here. What kind of attention do you believe you will get?” asked Annabelle.

A look of realization came over her and her eye for a moment grew very large.

“Right.” said Gabriel. “Of course, so how much longer do we need to stay here for and where did you get the cloak?”

Annabelle handed her the letter. She took it and read it, once she had read it she looked up at Annabelle. A look of concern on her face.

“The cloak of invisibility, it will help in saving Dan. Well that’s what Griselda said and I have never doubted what she has said.” Annabelle said.

“So, what are we going to do?” asked Gabriel.

“We are going to save Dan and then we are going back to my kingdom. I think that its time I have a talk with my parents.” Annabelle said. “A real talk.”

“If we’re going to save Dan then we are going to need a plain” said Xena. “Anyone got any ideas?”

“The plain is we wait till tomorrow then I will go in using the cloak and scout out the place then we go from there” said Annabelle.

“Do you know where this monster is?” asked Gabriel.

Annabelle turned to face Witch Mountain and pointed to a cave, the second from the bottom.

“That’s where he is.” said Annabelle.

“What, he’s here?” asked Gabriel.

“Yes, second cave from the bottom” replied Annabelle. “And tomorrow we are going in there.”

 

Chapter 5 �" Robbie The Monster

 

 

“So… you and Dan?” asked Gabriel.

They were all sitting around the camp fire.

“What about us?” asked Annabelle.

“How did you two meet? Do your parents know? How long have you two been seeing each other?” asked Gabriel.

“Wow you really are full of questions, aren’t you?” said Annabelle with a small smile.

“That’s normal for her.” said Xena.

“Phoenix and I were in the village, I like to go out and met the villages, and I try to do what I can for them especially the orphans. I go to see them as often as I can, try to bring some joy to their lives. Well one day I was at the orphanage, I was reading the kids their favourite story when Dan walked in. He had just harvested his wheat and had brought some of the flour from his wheat so they could make bread, have food.” Annabelle seemed to be staring off into space while looking at the fire. “As soon as our eyes met I-I just…it was as though something clicked into place. I knew that with him being a farmer, a commoner and me a princess my parents would never agree. So, we had to meet in secret, the only ones who knew about us were those at the orphanage. They all knew that my parents would never approve so they kept out secret.”

“That is so romantic.” said Gabriel, with a dreamy tone to her voice.

“I love him so and do wish to marry him but my parents would never allow it and all because he’s a commoner. They want me to marry a king, a prince or someone of royal blood. I do love him, oh how I love him, I can feel that he is my soul mate. He is my one true love.” said Annabelle.

“I really have missed a lot, haven’t I?” Stated Xena.

“You sure have, you’ve been gone for a long time.” said Annabelle.

“I had my reasons.” said Xena.

“Your father?”

“My father”

“You do know that he’s dead? He’s been dead for four years now.” said Annabelle.

“No I didn’t, what about my mother?” asked Xena.

“She is doing well. I drop into see her from time to time.” said Annabelle.

“It would be good to see her again.” said Xena.

“She misses you very much.” said Annabelle.

“I miss her, too.” said Xena.

“So, Annabelle how long have you known the witch?” asked Gabriel.

“Griselda?” Annabelle asked and Gabriel nodded. “Since I was six, she’s my godmother.”

“But she’s a witch isn’t a godmother? Aren’t godmothers supposed to be cheery, smiley and sugar sweet?” asked Gabriel, somewhat shocked.

“Not this kind, well not all of them are some are cheery, smiley and sugar sweet. Though Griselda does smile sometimes, Griselda is a magical godmother.”

“What are they?” asked Gabriel.

“The leader or head of a magical group will choose a child to help, someone that is in need or has something special about them.”

“Like what?” asked Xena.

“They could have a gift; some can have visions or be a half.”

“What do you mean half?” asked Gabriel.

“They can be half fairy and half human or half goblin and half human, it does happen.  So, if someone is a half then the leader or head of that magical community of which they are half of will take them under their wing; become their magical godmother.” explained Annabelle. “The magical community kept trying to get Griselda to choose but she never would.”

“What changed her mind?” asked Gabriel.

“She told me she never chose anyone because she was waiting for the one who would call out to her.”

“And you’re the one who called out?” asked Xena.

“I guess, I mean I never remember calling out to her or how I done it but she said that it’s not a call that anyone can hear. It’s a call that only the person it was meant for can hear.” explained Annabelle.

“How did you meet Phoenix?” asked Gabriel.

“The day Annabelle was born was the day I was born. You see the queen’s horse was pregnant and gave birth to me at the same time the queen gave birth to Annabelle. The second I was born I knew that it was fate that me and Annabelle be together” explained Phoenix. “Many a times as we were growing up I would know when Annabelle needed me and Annabelle would know when I need her. In a way, we are connected and we were never far apart. Many times, they would find me in Annabelle’s room and Annabelle with me and my mother in the field or our stall. We were always together and always will be just as fate had it planned.”

He had been standing next to Annabelle listening to the talk they had been having.

“It’s getting late and I’m getting tired. I’m going to go to sleep now” said Annabelle.

“Goodnight, Annabelle” said Gabriel.

“Goodnight” said Xena.

“Sleep well everyone” said Annabelle

Xena and Gabriel lay down on their bed rolls and soon were sound asleep. Phoenix lay down and Annabelle lay down next to him she spent a while staring up at the stars thinking of Dan and what was to come the next day before she finally fell asleep.

 

As the first rays of the morning sun comes it wakes the four friends. They stand and stretch, rubbing away the last of the sleepy dust from their eyes.

“Annabelle, are you sure that you want to go up there by yourself?” asked Gabriel.

“Yes, I’m positive and Phoenix won’t be far off and when I come back then we will make a plan” said Annabelle.

“It’s too dangerous to go up there by yourself, what if he sees you?” said Gabriel.

“I’ll be fine I’ve got the cloak and Griselda will know if I’m in trouble. When a magical being connects with a person, like me and Griselda, they always know when the person is in trouble. I will be safe” said Annabelle.

Annabelle put the cloak on and mounted Phoenix. He took off and landed a few moments later near the monster’s cave. She dismounts and pulls her hood up as soon as the hood went up she disappeared.

“I want you to stay here, Phoenix.”

“Be careful Annabelle. I’ll be waiting call if you need me” said Phoenix.

Annabelle started walking towards the cave that was almost as big as her castle back home. She pecked around the corner of the opening. There she saw one simple room decorated with a worn-out arm chair as big as a house, in fact everything it there was as big as a house. There was also a bed, unmade, a fire place with something bubbling in a big pot hanging over the fire and a table with a chair. Over in the far corner she saw a cage and in it was Dan. Annabelle gasped and was glad that she was too far away for the monster to hear any noise she made. He had turned around from the fire place and Annabelle saw his face. He was like a cross between a troll and a goblin, eyebrows that joined together and stuck out, a big ugly nose with lumps and bumps, two big canines on his lower jaw that poked up and slightly over his top lip. His eyes were beady and dark; he looked like he kept a permit scowl on his face. His clothes looked worn and haggard, and he wore no shoes on his big hairy feet.

Annabelle memorised the layout of the cave then turned around to make her way back to where Phoenix was waiting, but as she turned she kicked a rock that sailed down the side of the mountain making a lot of noise. Annabelle froze as she heard the monster thudding steps as he walked out of the cave. He stood a little too close to Annabelle for comfort, that she was afraid that he would stand on her; he stood there looking around trying to figure out where the noise came from. At one point Annabelle thought that he was looking directly at her but her was only looking in her general direction. Seeing nothing he turned around and went back into his cave. Annabelle let out a breath that she didn’t realise that she had been holding, the cloak had worked. As soon as she was sure that he had gone far enough into the cave she continued to make her way back to Phoenix.

“Let’s head back and tell the others.” She said as she came up to him.

“Whoa!” exclaimed Phoenix.

Annabelle took her hood off becoming visible again.

“Annabelle don’t do that you gave me a heart attack!”

“Sorry.” She said. “Let’s get back to the others.”

“What did you see?” he asked.

“I’ll explain it all when we get back to the others.”

Annabelle mounted and Phoenix took off back down to where the others were waiting. The second Phoenix landed Annabelle dismounted.

“So, what happened?” asked Gabriel. “What’s the plain?”

“For starters, you’re going to need extra help, like as in magical help, and more than the cloak can provide.” said Griselda.

Everyone turned around to see Griselda standing there behind them, a broom in her hand and a tall pointed black hat sitting on the mess of green hair. How it managed to stay there the way her hair sticks up so crazy is a mystery for another day.

“But how did you know?” asked Gabriel.

“I saw Robbie’s cave when Annabelle did.” She explained. “And knew you would need extra help.”

“You never mentioned that Grazilda went with you.” said Gabriel.

“She didn’t.” said Annabelle.

“But she just said…” began Gabriel.

“Magical godmothers and their godchildren can live through each other. See things the other sees, feel things the other feels. Anyway, back to the plain, we need to get Dan out of there.” said Annabelle. “Before something bad happens to him.”

 

Chapter 6 �" The Rescue

 

Gabriel and Xena mounted Phoenix and Griselda hoped on her broom. Annabelle made her way over to Grazilda thinking that she would ride with her on her broom.

“You can fly yourself, Annabelle.” said Griselda, knowing all too well what Annabelle was thinking.

“How?” she asked.

“The cloak, it’s another of its special abilities.” she explained. “I’m surprised you didn’t feel it.”

“I guess I’ve just been too worried about Dan to open up to the magic in the cloak.”

“Quite possible. You usually are open to magic.” said Griselda.

“You’re right. Okay is everyone ready?” asked Annabelle.

“Yes.” Everyone coursed.

Phoenix, Xena and Gabriel flew off to land above the cave opening. Griselda took off to land on the right side of the opening where she could hide in the shadows. Annabelle opened herself to the magic in the cloak. As soon as she did she felt it and instantly knew how to fly. She flew up to the left side of the cave, landing quietly. She then looked to Phoenix, Xena and Gabriel, they all nodded. They were ready. She then looked to Griselda who nodded as well. Everyone was ready. Annabelle pulled the hood up. As soon as she disappeared rocks began falling from above the cave. Robbie heard the noise and came thundering out. As soon as he left his cave Griselda used that chance to cast a spell that tied him up and would keep him out of the way till Annabelle came out with Dan. The second Robbie came out of the cave Annabelle ran in, she ran straight to the cage.

“Dan! Are you alright?” asked Annabelle.

“Who’s there?” Dan asked looking around trying to find where the voice had come from.

Dan had blond hair kept short, a handsome face and a smile full of friendship. He is kind and caring and always ready to help those who need it.

“Oh sorry.” said Annabelle.

She pulled her hood down becoming visible.

“Annabelle!” exclaimed Dan.

They reached for each other though the bars.

“Oh, Dan you’re okay, you are okay, right?” she asked.

“Yes, yes I’m fine. But how?” asked Dan.

“Griselda, she gave me the cloak.” explained Annabelle. “We have to hurry we don’t have much time.”

Griselda had given her a key, a magical key that would open any lock. She put the key in the lock and turned till she heard a click and the lock instantly popped opened. She ripped the door open as fast as she could and they were instantly in each other’s arms. Annabelle was the first to pull back, she hated to do so but she knew that there wasn’t much time and they had to get out of there fast.

“We have to get out of here.” said Annabelle.

“You’re not going anywhere!” said a booming voice.

The both turned around and found themselves looking at a pair of very big very hairy feet. Slowly their heads began travelling up till they found themselves looking at the face of Robbie the monster.

“Dan take my hand and no mater what don’t let go.” said Annabelle.

Dan entwined his fingers with hers, and as Annabelle pulled her hood up they both disappeared. As soon as they were invisible they took off running for the entrance. They heard Robbie raw in annoyance, they made it to the entrance and exited, Annabelle kept directing them towards the ledge.

“Annabelle?” Dan had worry through his voice.

“Trust me and don’t let go no mater what.” said Annabelle.

They reached the ledge and together they jumped. She reached into the magic in the cloak and then they were flying. She carefully made her way down to where they had decided to meet after. They landed quietly and she removed her hood. She let go of Dan’s hand and Phoenix stepped out of the tree line and approached them.

“You’re both safe.” He stated.

“Yes.” replied Annabelle. “Is Griselda here?”

“I’m here.” She said stepping out of the trees.

“What happened? I thought you said your spell would hold him.”

“He was stronger than I anticipated but you made it out ok and with Dan, which is all that matters.” Griselda said.

“Yes, we made it out.” Said Annabelle as she looked very fondly and lovingly at Dan, he returned her look.

“I need to return back to my house.” Griselda said as she hopped on to her broom and took off flying.

“Now where are we going?” asked Gabriel.

“Were going home, back to my Kingdom.” said Annabelle. “Xena, Gabriel you are both welcome to come with us.”

“That sounds great. It would give me a chance to see mother again.” said Xena.

Together they all set off to Annabelle’s Kingdom.

 

Chapter 7 �" The Journey

 

Annabelle and Dan were never far apart, they kept close almost as though they were afraid that if they strayed too far away from each other then they would be separated again. Phoenix stayed close too, though he was constantly looking around, almost like he was looking for something

“How did you get captured?” asked Annabelle.

“When you didn’t come to our meeting place I went to the castle to see if you were ok. I was worried that something may have happened to you, that’s when I found you were gone. I knew of only one place you would have gone. So, I came looking for you. That’s when that monster grabbed me.” Dan explained. “Annabelle, I know that I shouldn’t believe anything that monster said but he kept saying that you were going to marry King Watson. Is that true?”

“It’s what my parents want. They told me the day I ran away that I was to marry him but I can’t.” explained Annabelle. “Oh, Dan you know I love you so, you’re the one I want to marry not that horrible king. Why would you believe anything that monster would say?”

“I don’t know.” said Dan. “I know you love me and I love you too. I want to marry you more than anything too, I don’t know why it bothered me so.”

“Well it’s all behind you, now.” said Xena.

“Yes, it is and we are going home to talk with my parents. We will tell them together of our love, of how we want to be together and how we want to marry.” said Annabelle.

“Really? Your going to tell your pearents?” asked Dan.

“Yes, its time I stop being afraid to tell them and stand strong before them. I want more than anything to be with you for the rest of my life and I’m going to tell them that! Even if it means that I renounce my tile and no longer am a princess.” said Annabelle.

“You would give up being a princess for me?” asked Dan.

“Yes, you mean more to me than being a princess ever could.” said Annabelle.

Dan stopped walking, turned to Annabelle and grabbed her around the waist, picking her up off the ground and spinning her around. Annabelle was laughing. He put her back down and looked deeply into her eyes smiling.

“Sorry to ruin the moment but we need to keep going if we are going to make it at least half way before nightfall.” said Xena.

“Oh, it’s so good to have you back, Xena.” said Annabelle sarcastically.

Xena laughed and they continued to walk on.

 

They continued walking till the sun set and night began to take over. They made camp for the night but Phoenix kept looking around for something. Annabelle could tell he was worried about something.

“Phoenix is everything ok?” Annabelle asked.

Phoenix turned to look at her, a worried look on his face.

“I just have this feeling that something or someone is out there watching us. I just don’t know where.” said Phoenix.

“Don’t worry about it too much.” said Annabelle.

She turned back to sit down by the fire next to Dan. They all talked for a while longer before heading to sleep aiming to make an early start the next day.

 

The early rising sun woke them the next day. Together they packed up the camp site as fast as they could as they wanted to get an early start. Once they had finished they set off the rest of the way to the Kingdom. When they could just see the very top of the highest tower of the castle Phoenix suddenly stopped and looked around.

“Phoenix, what is it?” asked Annabelle.

Before Phoenix could answer Dan fell to the ground unconscious, followed by Xena and Gabriel. Before Annabelle could even move to pull her hood up she too was hit on the back of her head and fell to the ground. Right before she felt the darkness overcome her she looked up to see a man standing there. With a gut hanging over his belt and a beard of light brown the same color as the hair on his head. Wearing clothes a king would wear and a crown on his head. Annabelle immediately knew who he was. King Watson.

  

Chapter 8 �" King Watson

 

 

When Annabelle awoke, her head felt full of fog. She tried to clear it away as best she could but when she tried to rub her head she found her hands where tied behind her back. She looked around and saw that Xena, Gabriel and Dan were still unconscious and Phoenix tied to a tree with his wings tied down to his sides. There were what looked to be guards huddling in a circle. Annabelle’s head still had a slight throb and bits of fog in places, she didn’t even realise that she had let out a low grown until they turned towards her. She watched as they moved apart and King Watson came towards her with a big mean looking smile on his face.

“Princess Annabelle, it’s so good to see you.” He said. “Well now that you’re finally awake we should start making our way back to the Kingdom where your worried parents are waiting.”

Annabelle looked over to her friends.

“Oh, don’t worry they will be coming with us after all I’m sure your parents will want their daughter’s kidnappers.”

“No one kidnapped me, I left of my own choosing.” said Annabelle.

“Well now once I return with you and tell your parents how I saved you from them. They will believe me, and then you will be mine.” King Watson said reaching a hand to touch Annabelle’s face. She shook him off not wanting him to touch her. He just laughed and turned back to his men barking orders.

 

It wasn’t too long before they were moving off, Xena, Gabriel & Dan had woken up but were kept separated from Annabelle and gagged. Annabelle was kept up front with King Watson, but her hands were still tied. They were getting closer to the Kingdom; Annabelle was beginning to see more and more of the castle as they rode on. Once they were close enough King Watson released Annabelle’s hands. They continued to make their way to the castle, once there they made their way to the throne room. The second the doors opened and Annabelle stepped in her parents rushed to her, throwing their arms around her hugging her tight. When they let go they turned to King Watson.

“Thank you, King Watson, you have returned out daughter to us.” said the King. “We are in your debt.”

“Your majesties I would also like to present you with the people who took Princess Annabelle away from you.” said King Watson.

They turned to the door and watched as Xena, Gabriel and Dan were escorted in still tied up and gagged.

“Xena?” asked the queen.

Xena nodded.

“Xena, how could you? Annabelle was your best friend when you were little.” said the queen.

Annabelle was about to speak, about to tell them how she had run away, that they had helped her not kidnapped her; but before a sound could leave her mouth there was a sharp stab in her side. She looked to King Watson and he shot her a warning look.

“King Watson we owe you our daughter’s life. Now the wedding can go a head as planned” said the King.

“Thank you, your highnesses.” said King Watson bowing from his waist up.

“Wonderful you two shall be married in two day’s time.” said the King.

“That would be just perfect but your majesties but even with the kidnapers in hand there may be more out there who would not want to see our marriage go ahead.” said King Watson.

“Hmm, I see what you mean.” agreed the King.

“Why put off till tomorrow what can be done today.” said King Watson.

“Yes, I see.” said the King. “Very well you two shall be married today at sun set.”

Nooooo! Annabelle screamed in her head, wanting very much to scream it out but was afraid of what may happen to Dan, Xena and Gabriel. She was taken away to her room to be prepared for the wedding. She knew she had to get out of this, but how? Where was Griselda?

 

 

Chapter 9 �" The Wedding

 

 

Annabelle was dressed in a simple white dress with a low neck line, flowing down to the floor from her waist, with simple white slipper shoes. She was pacing by the window in her room trying to figure a way out of the wedding. Suddenly she remembered her cloak, grabbing it she put it on. Just as she was pulling her hood up she heard the door knob on her door jiggling, as the door opened she finished pulling her hood up disappearing from sight. Her mother walked in calling for her; not finding her she ran out of the room. Annabelle took the chance to exit her room; making her way quietly down to the dungeons. There were two guards standing out front of the dungeon where Xena, Gabriel and Dan were being kept. With the guards not seeing her, Annabelle hit them over the head knocking them unconscious. Dan came up to the bars when he saw the first guard go down.

“Annabelle?” Dan asked.

Annabelle took her hood off.

“I’m going to get you all out of here.”

Annabelle grabbed the keys off the belt of one of the guards. The second the door was opened she was in Dan’s arms.

“Oh, Annabelle thank god your safe.” said Dan.

“I’m fine, I was more worried about all of you.” said Annabelle. “We need to get out of here.”

They began to climb up the stairs to the castle. They were making there way through the castle when they heard a call that the prisoners had escaped.

“You three need to make it out of here; I’ll distract everyone while you make it out.” said Annabelle. “I want you to go to the edge of the village there you will find Phoenix. Use him to get in contact with Griselda.”

“But Annabelle…” Dan started.

Annabelle interrupted Dan by putting two fingers on his lips.

“Dan please I need you to do this for me.” Annabelle said.

Annabelle then leaned in and kissed Dan on the lips, it was short but sweet. Pulling back with a smile on her face she pulled her hood up and disappeared before he could argue any more.

 

Still invisible Annabelle made her way to the throne room, throwing open the doors everyone in the room looked but saw no one. Annabelle took the hood off watching as looks of shock came over everyone in the room.

“Annabelle? How…how is this possible?” asked the Queen shocked.

“Griselda gave the cloak to me.”

“But when? I have never seen that cloak before.” said the queen.

“Two days ago,” answered Annabelle. “When I disappeared five days ago, I ran away, I wasn’t kiddnaped that was just a lie that King Watson told you.”

“That is a grave accusation that you are making, Annabelle.” warned the King.

“It’s the truth father! When you told, me I was to marry King Watson I didn’t want to. Knowing one person who would help me, I went to see Griselda. On my way there I ran into Xena and her friend Gabriel, together we travelled to Witch Mountain.” Annabelle explained. “When I was talking to Griselda I received a letter telling me that a monster had kidnapped Dan, my one true love. That’s when Griselda gave me the cloak. After we had rescued Dan from the monster we made our way back here when we were jumped by King Watson and his men.”

“That’s a great little story Annabelle but I must say that its time to tell the truth.” said King Watson, with a smirk on his face.

“It is the truth! I don’t tell lies!” said Annabelle almost shouting.

“Calm down Annabelle.” said the queen. “There is no need to get up set. Your father and I both know that you always speak the truth.”

“Then you believe me?”

“I believe you.” said the queen.

“Then please don’t make me marry King Watson.” pleaded Annabelle.

“I’m sorry Annabelle but this wedding is going a head and I have to agree with King Watson that was a nice little story but it is time to come back to the real world.” said the King.

Annabelle couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Her own father didn’t believe her! Before she could get the chance to pull her hood up and disappear from this nightmare, King Watson grabbed the cloak from her. Her father called in the guards to take her back to her room and to not let her out of their sight while they finished setting up for the wedding.

 

About twenty minutes later they were ready. The guards escorted her to the great hall where they where holding the wedding. When the doors opened, there were two rows of seats full of people. At the end of the aisle was King Watson and a priest. When the music started up, every one stood up and Annabelle started walking up the aisle, being somewhat forced to do so by the two guards escorting her. When she reached the end King Watson held out his hand for hers. She refused to reach out her hand, he just gave her a little smirk and dropped his hand. They both turned to face the priest.

“We are gathered here to day to witness the joining of these two people.” The priest began. “If anyone here believes that these two should not be joined in holly matrimony speak now of forever hold your peace.”

The priest looked around at the many people all the while Annabelle hopped that someone would speak up but no one did. The priest turned back to Annabelle and King Watson.

“King Watson, do you take Princess Annabelle as you lawfully wedded wife. To have and to hold, in sickness and in heath, for better or for worse, till death do you part?” asked the priest.

“I do.” said King Watson.

“Princess Annabelle, do you take King Watson as your lawfully wedded husband. To have and to hold, in sickness and in heath, for better or for worse, till death do you part?” asked the priest.

Annabelle turned to look at her mother and father, they both nodded and smiled at her. She then turned to look at King Watson who also smiled at her, an almost evil smirk of a smile. Turning back to look at the priest she began to open her mouth to say ‘I do’ when the doors to the great hall flew open, everyone turned to look. Standing there in the door way was Griselda with Phoenix, Dan, Xena and Gabriel. As soon as she saw them Annabelle picked up the skirt of her dress and ran to the other end, running straight into Dan’s arms.

“Thank god you’re safe.” Annabelle whispered so only Dan could hear.

“What’s going on here?” asked King Watson enraged.

“You must be King Watson.” stated Griselda.

“You have me a disadvantage. you know me but I do not know you.” said King Watson.

“I am Griselda. Head witch of the witches of Witch Mountain.” said Griselda. “And magical godmother to Princess Annabelle.”

“Magical godmother? What are you going on about? And how dare you interrupt my wedding like this. You have no…”

“Silence!” Griselda said waving her hand in front of her.

King Watson suddenly stopped talking; it was like his voice was suddenly removed.

“What is going on?” asked the King.

“I’m here to stop this wedding and to put things straight.” said Griselda.

“What do you mean?’ asked the King.

“What I mean is that King Watson has been telling you lies and you have been believing them, all the while your daughter has been telling you the truth and you have not been believing her. You have believed that your own daughter has been lying.” said Griselda.

 While Griselda had been talking, they had slowly been walking up the aisle.

“What! I have never said that my daughter was lying.” said the King.

“Yes, you did! When I told you in the throne room what really happened you said that ‘it was a nice little story but it was time to come back to the real world’ that’s what you said! You didn’t believe me when I told the truth.” Annabelle said, she had let go of Dan and was stand just in front of him next to Griselda.

 

While they had been talking, no one had noticed that King Watson had made his way to stand behind Dan. No one had noticed this till he grabbed him and held a knife at Dan’s throat. With no voice, he couldn’t make any demands but he began to slowly walk backwards dragging Dan along, it was obvious he was hoping to use him as a way to get out without a scratch. Annabelle found it oddly believable that King Watson would do this but she was fearful for Dan. How could she get him out of the man’s grasp? Phoenix nudged just then from behind, she turned around to find him standing there holding her cloak in his mouth. Smiling she took the cloak, whispering a thank you to him. She put the cloak on and pulled the hood up, she moved quietly unseen down the aisle to where King Watson was slowly walking backwards dragging Dan along with him. As soon as Annabelle reached them she reached out and grabbed hold of the knife. Being surprised by the feel of someone grabbing his hand but seeing no one before him, King Watson let go of the knife and let it drop to the ground. Annabelle took the chance and grabbed knife before he could grab it again. Dan took the opportunity to turn around and punch King Watson in the face knocking him unconscious. He fell to the ground with a loud thud as Annabelle removed her hood revelling herself. Everyone was amazed; Annabelle and Dan just smiled at each other.

 


Chapter 10 �" True Love

 

 

“Guards!” called the King. “Guards!”

Four guards came running in.

“Take that man away.” said the King pointing at King Watson lying on the ground.

The guards grabbed hold of King Watson dragging him out of the room. The King turned to where Annabelle was standing with Dan. Annabelle turned to face her father. Dan stood behind her and slightly to one side with one hand resting on her opposite shoulder.

“Annabelle, I’m so sorry that I didn’t believe you.” said the King.

“It’s ok father, you were being manipulated by King Watson.” said Annabelle. “Father, mother Dan is the one I love and the one I want to marry.”

The king turned to look at Dan.

“What Kingdom are you from?” asked the King.

“I live here in your Kingdom, your highness.” replied Dan.

“You’re not a Prince?” asked the queen.

“No, your majesty, I am a simple commoner.” said Dan.

“A commoner!” said the King in shock. “Annabelle, you are a princess you should marry a prince or a King not a commoner.”

“But father I don’t care. I love Dan for who he is, title or no title and want to marry him. Even if it means taking away my title and I live as a commoner I don’t care as long as I am with Dan.” said Annabelle.

“Annabelle, you are a princess and should act like one.” boomed the King.

“I think that before this gets out of hand it would be best for Annabelle and Dan to come with me until you both have calmed down.” Griselda turned to look directly at the King. “Think about what you daughter has just told you. You know how to contact me when you’re ready.”

Griselda held her hands up and said a few words in another language. As she finished speaking there was a flash of light and they were all gone.

 

One second Annabelle was looking at her mother and father standing in the grand hall of her child hood castle and then the next second she was looking at the outside of Griselda’s house. Annabelle walked over to the ledge over looking Witch Mountain; she was looking out over the view, she was so lost in thought that she didn’t hear when Dan came up behind her. He put his arms around her waist resting his chin on her shoulder.

“What’s wrong?” Dan asked.

“Everything. Nothing. I just…I wish my parents would just get off their high thrones and look at the world. Not everyone or everything is perfect. Most of all I want father to take another look at our love and let us be together as we are.” said Annabelle.

“It will all be ok. Everything will turn out fine, you’ll see.” Dan reassured.

Annabelle allowed a small smile to show on her face, she turned her head to look at Dan.

“How is it that you can always look on the bright side of everything even when everything is so dark?” Asked Annabelle.

“Because I’m looking at you and you are my bright side to everything.” Dan said.

Annabelle turned around without breaking out of his arms, she looped her arms around his neck, and looked deep into his eyes. She leaned in close and kissed him.

“Hay! You two staying out here or coming inside where its warm.” Called Xena.

Annabelle and Dan broke apart and smiled.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Oh, it’s so good to have you back, Xena.” Annabelle called back sarcastically.

Xena laughed as she headed in side; Annabelle and Dan followed behind laughing as well.

 

Inside everyone was sitting in a semi-circle around the fire place. Griselda was cooking something in the big black pot hanging over the fire.

“So, the love birds finally came in side.” Xena said jokingly.

“Yes, we did after someone called us in.” retorted Annabelle.

“What can I say.” said Xena shrugging her solders cheekily.

“Not much.” replied Annabelle.

“Which is no change.” said Gabriel. “Xena isn’t one for making much small talk.”

“Oh, that I know.” said Annabelle. “I used to have to spend an hour just trying to get a fifteen-minute conversation out of her.”

“Sounds very much like Xena.” said Gabriel with a small giggle.

Annabelle walked over to an empty seat and sat down, followed by Dan who took the seat next to her, pulling it close. Looking around at her friends talking, Griselda cooking over the fire and Dan with his smile of friendship ready for anyone and everyone. Annabelle wanted to know what her father saw in Dan to make him act the way he did. There had to be something more to it than him being a commoner.

“I’m sure there is but for now we just have to wait to see what happens. Your father may contact me tomorrow, in a week or a month it all depends on him.” said Griselda without looking up.

“You know some times your little knack for knowing everything is just a little annoying.” said Annabelle.

“You know as well as I do how this all works and that I can’t help it. Especially when you throw out your emotions like that.” said Griselda.

“I know, I know, and I do not throw out my emotions.” said Annabelle.

“Oh, but you do.” said Griselda.

“Okay your little conversations like that are confusing especially when we don’t know what you two are talking about.” said Gabriel a little confused.

“Don’t worry about it too much. You’ll get used to it then it will just become annoying some times.” said Annabelle. “But the rest of the time it really does come in handy.”

Griselda continued to cook the food, as everyone talked. When the food was ready everyone ate, talked and laughed some more till they all became very tired. Griselda conjured up some beds and bed clothes for them and everyone was happy to lie in bed and rest after the day they had had. Annabelle couldn’t help thinking about what the next day will bring. Whether her father will accept her and Dan’s love or if he will reject it. Feeling sleep beginning to overcome her she allowed it take her.

 

 

Epilogue

 

Three years, it’s been three years since that day in the grand hall at my father’s castle. A lot has happened since then, Dan and I waited for three months at Griselda’s house, hoping that we would hear from my father but nothing came. Xena and Gabriel left to continue their travels and helping people. We have seen them a couple of times in the last few years, when they were passing through and stopped by. Mostly I would just hear about how they have helped a village from an evil warlord or helped to save some one. Dan and I found a cute little farm just outside of witch mountain. We also had the chance to talk to Robbie the monster and found out that he too was a victim of King Watson. King Watson was threatening to kill his best friend, a local farmer. He didn’t want to kidnap and hold him as he did but he was scared for his friend’s life. When we found this out we choose to forgive him and now we have become good friends. Robbie even helped us to clear some big boulders from a field so that we could plant it. We still see Griselda from time to time, she is still my magical godmother. Dan and I got married and now we have this beautiful little girl, she’s almost two years old now. I love our simple little life on our cute little farm with our friends. I gave up hope a long time ago that I would ever hear from my father and I am okay with that. I gave up hoping a long time ago that he would accept Dan as he is. I miss them and I will all ways love them but my father cannot accept us together and that’s OK. We have made an amazing life for our self’s here, together we are a family. We’re happy and that’s all that matters. Together here on this little farm we will live our lives out as simple farmers.

© 2017 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
I am looking for a bit of feed back on the story, story line, my writing etc, anything you can tell me would be great. Thanks. I am also thinking of changing the names of two of the characters.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on January 18, 2017
Last Updated on January 21, 2017
Tags: Princess, Monster, Love, Adventure, Fiction

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Wellington, Lower Hutt, New Zealand



About
I have always loved to write stories, I have a few that are not yet complete and a work in progress. I am looking for a bit on in site on how to make these story's better. more..

Writing
Mermaids Mermaids

A Story by Sarah