Spire

Spire

A Story by Savannah Skye
"

Fae and the Dragon Horn.

"
Fae looked at the old Dragon Horn in her hands.


She walked over to the window and reflected on her cold surroundings. She had always hated the city of Dax with its vast, dry wasteland. The metal spires and monthly rains made her feel drab. As she gazed out of the broken glass, she saw something in the distance. Or rather, someone. Her eyes widened. 

A dark, looming figure in the sky. He could not be mistaken. 

Uka Raed. 

Uka was the leader of an uprising against the Kingdom.. an uprising that was getting stronger by the week. Since the tragic death of the King and Queen, leaving their young daughter behind, the army of rogue Dragos believed a takeover of the Head Spire to be far too easy. A little girl was the least of their problems. 

Fae gulped. She glanced at her own reflection in a stained mirror. She was a gentle, patient girl with beautiful blue eyes and blonde hair. Her delicate webbed wings trailed behind her, getting lost in the material of her flowing white dress that sat just off of her pale shoulders. The scales sparkled with a soft blue, like her eyes. Her subjects saw her as kind, yet courageous. She often found solice in the dragon dens, located in the cliffs surrounding the city. The death of her parents had drained her of most happiness. She found joy in very few things. But, as courageous as Fae seemed, she wasn't sure if she was prepared for such an unexpected meeting. 

The rain hammered down on the stone and metal tower. As Fae stepped outside onto the balcony, Uka came closer and closer, until with a final flap of his large, black wings he landed on the stone railing. Rain dripped from his strong nose, his dark eyes glinting. Gloved hands flung back a leather hood, revealing his brackish hues, a stern expression causing his brows to meet in the center. He spoke in a deadly calm tone. "Come, girl. Give me the Dragon's horn." 

Fae gasped and stepped back. She looked down, her fingers grasping the Dragon's Horn she was sworn to protect with her very life. "Uka, why are you doing this?" she replied quietly. They looked at each other. A silent moment of anticipation. Fae studied Uka's face, the many scars running down and across his features standing out to her. But, what stood out the most the determination in his eyes. Eventually, she took a deep breath. Her heart was thudding frantically. She was no match for such an opponent. "I'm sorry," began Fae in apologetic tones, "but I cannot give you what you seek." 

Uka produced a noise similar to a wolf's growl, a raw emotion Fae couldn't quite place appearing in his eyes like a stoked flame.  He WOULD have the Dragon's Horn. Without it, he could not gain control of Dax. Control of the dragons themselves. Dax would be his, the dragons would be his, and Fae would most certainly be his. 

He stood up from crouching on the railing, taking a heavy step onto the balcony's stone floor. With each step he took forward, Fae took two back - clutching the powerful remnant in her hands. 

Once inside of the tower's top room, Uka shook the rain from his wings in one mighty flap. Their surroundings were splattered with water, some of the paintings loosing their grip on the wall and tumbling to the floor, shattering.  Fae jumped and glanced around, gasping as her lovely work was destroyed. Fright was clear in her eyes as she returned her face to Uka's. 

"I will have what I seek," he answered, his voice like the rumbling of thunder. 


Her glistening blue wings flapped anxiously, ready for flight. She had to escape. 

© 2015 Savannah Skye


Author's Note

Savannah Skye
Any and all constructive criticism is welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on June 17, 2015
Last Updated on June 17, 2015
Tags: fantasy, dragons, evil, good, battle, spire, castle, princess, rebel, short story, fiction

Author

Savannah Skye
Savannah Skye

Anchorage, AK