Character in the Face of Adversity

Character in the Face of Adversity

A Story by I <3 Chevelle SS
"

Labor Day weekend 2010

"

  September 2nd, we saw my dad's parents that evening, and I didn't know that was going to be the last time I saw my grandfather.

 

  September 3rd, we left to go to Gilchrist, Texas for my grandmother's 60th birthday. She rented a beach buggy (golf cart) and we went riding up and down the beach looking at all the beach bums that were there for Labor Day weekend! The biggest party of the year... and we had fun! We went body surfing and got sunburned really bad!!! We looked like tomatoes!!!

 

  September 5th, my grandmother and I went body surfing on the huge waves of the gulf and got sun burned real badly!! But we had the beach buggy for that evening and we had tons of fun. Her and i lay on the sand, had fun drawing in the sand, and watching the waves hit what we wrote. We started heading home when we got a devastating phone call from my uncle... well my brother and I were sitting of the back of the beach buggy watching the beach bums go by. When I overheard the conversation, I started thinking to myself could something have happened to the boys? Nope. What about aunt Nadia? Nope. Then my mom got off the beach buggy and was highly upset. So it must have happened on my dad's side of the family. Aunt Stephanie? No. Donovan? No. Grandma B? No. Papaw D? I don't know. Then my mom got off the phone and my grandma went over and started hugging her and patting her back. When we got back to the camp she took my dad by the hand and told him the news. By then he was crying hard. And he doesn't cry very often! Well Papaw Darrell comes over and starts hugging me and I'm crying to becaus ei figured out what had happened... We got the trailer tore down in a matter of minutes because we were going home to check on my grandmother, who was so shocked that she didnt know what had happened. I told Sean what had happened and he called me and I was so devastated that I started to cry on the phone so I had to hang up, and ended up crying my eyes out! We stopped to go to the restroom and my dad had a break down and so my mom took over driving, about halfway home a car pulls out in front of us while my mom is pulling the travel trailer! She locks the brakes and is hanging onto the steering wheel! We make it to my grandmother's house and she is in such a high level of shock that she forgot that we were in Gilchrist. I hung onto her like my life depended on it. Then  go back and sit on my Grandma Linda's lap and she holds me and i start sobbing. She takes me and my brother to her house and we stay the night there.

 

  September 8th comes and I miss school for my grandfather's funerl... I didnt cry until the last song came on! I just broke down in tears! And my grandmother, again, holds me and she is having to help me to the truck. On the way out there are people hugging me and saying things like I love you and I'm very sorry for your loss! When my Uncle Jason hugs me I start to cry again and we hugged for what seemed like an eternity. When we got in the turkck and we start to drive to the cemetary. I stare out the window thinking of all the good times we had together. I sat next to my grandmother, and she was in tears. When the Paul Bearers carrying the casket, I saw my brother. I was sad and it was a time or mourning for my family.

 

  Sean never got to meet him. My birthday comes and when I get my card I only see my grandmother's name. It made me sad to just see her name. Thanksgiving comes and we are still torn by the loss of my grandfather. Christmas was hard and so was Valentine's Day. I am cared to see what happens to my dad when Father's Day comes...

 

  A man in my life so dear to me gone from this world, but not in our hearts.

 

  I Love You!

© 2012 I <3 Chevelle SS


Author's Note

I <3 Chevelle SS
Please excuse all the grammer mistakes...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I hate it when a family member is lost. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Keep your grandfather in your heart and he will never be lost to you.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
1 Review
Added on March 31, 2012
Last Updated on March 31, 2012

Author

I <3 Chevelle SS
I <3 Chevelle SS

*****, TX



About
I am a small southern girl. My friend is Silent Raven. We friends you know! TeeHee ^_^ Hi Silent Raven!!! I like Popcorn made by my fancy popcorn maker all old fashoned and what not!!! I love kids mov.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5