Living the Dream

Living the Dream

A Story by Killin-it-Smalls
"

This was sort of a required writing for English class to write a short story. i can never figure out how to end them though... Hope you enjoy reading it because i enjoyed writing it! :)

"
I'm standing in the pouring rain. The black pavement turns into a rainbow of colors under my soaked, black Vans. My light brown, curly hair is sticking to my cheeks as I listen to the constant padder of the rain. I look down and see my hand is holding another's. The boy it belongs to is someone I don't recognize, wearing a bright red shirt. Suddenly, he collapses.
The next moment, I was staring at my cloudy white ceiling. I looked towards the sound of the "rain' I thought I heard. 6:05, my little red alarm clock kept flashing at me. "CALLI! Please turn off that annoying alarm clock and GET UP!" Mom shouted from the kitchen. I took a deep breath in and suddenly smelled... BACON. 
I threw my pink, flower petaled blankets onto the floor and scrambled out of my comfortable, queen size bed, anxious to be the first one to the kitchen. Although, as I shed back my pearl white, wooden door, I saw my brother Trevor's little blond head racing down the long hallway. "I win!" he yelled. And as I turned the corner, I found him stuffing multiple bacon strips in his mouth. He struggled to talk and spit and bacon bits flung into my face and onto the newly cleaned, wooden floor.   
"Trevor!" Mom screeched, "Go get a damp paper towel and clean the floor, I just had it mopped," she sighed and turned her attention to me. Meanwhile, Trevor hung his little head, swallowed the bacon, and worked his way across the kitchen to the pantry. He grabbed the paper towels, then swung around the island, to the sink. "Bacon's on the counter, or what little is left of it is, eggs in the pan, toast and gravy's on the table," she explained, pointing to each item to show me. 
She uses her hands a lot. I thought to myself as I watched her talk to me. I wasn't listening to at least half of what she just said, but I already knew where everything was so I didn't think I missed much. "Thanks mom!' I picked up a sparkling clean plate from the new, slick, black dishwasher and started filling it with eggs. I wiped my face with a paper towel, hoping to get some of Trevor's spit off, then turned to the fridge to grab some orange juice. I almost trip over Trevor and catch his big brown eyes tearing up, and staring me down like a sad puppy, begging for food. "What Trevor?" I raised my eyebrows and waited for his response. 
A tear rolled down his cheek and he said, "I don't wanna go to school, Calli. I miss the old house in California. Can we go back? I don't have any friends here."
Get in line kid, I thought to myself. But I was surprised when I said, "It's okay," and bent down to wipe his tears, "It's the first day, I'm sure everyone will want to be Trevor Nash's best friend! Especially once they find out how cool you are," his big grin made me smile and I thought, maybe I should listen to my own advice. New school, new me. He hugs me, then runs off, and I continue to get the rest of my breakfast. 
My plate and hands are full, and I turn around to find my mom with tears in her eyes oh no here we go again. "You okay, Mom?" I was afraid to ask, especially with that smile, so I rushed past to the marble table and put food in my mouth. Perfect, now she can't say too much.  
She rubbed her eyes and said, "Yes I'm fine. Just proud of how strong my little sophomore is." Then she quickly turned down the long hallway, and I heard her feet padder down the ten stairs, to the den. Finally, I was left alone with my food, juice, and iPhone 5. 
I checked my Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram while sipping at my juice and shoveling food into my mouth. My friends back in California already sent me at least 50 messages telling me how much they missed me and how sorry they were about what happened. I had to move though, it's not like it was my choice. I thought back to the Tsunami that wrecked our house over the summer and killed my dad. That brought a tear streaming down my face that I quickly pushed off. I couldn't have Trevor or Mom see me crying, it would tear them apart. It's bad enough Trevor is constantly asking where dad is, or when he's coming back. I clicked "group message" and swiftly moved my thumbs over the keypad, "I wish I didn't, but I had to. :(" SENDING MESSAGE flashed across the screen before I locked my phone again.
Sink, rinse, dishwasher, and I was off to the master bathroom for a shower. Rinse, lather, repeat, and dry off. I twisted my long curls in a towel on the top of my head and put on the outfit I picked out the night before. Brand new, knee length shorts and a green plaid T-shirt. To finish it off, I put on black socks and my old, comfortable, cowgirl boots. Hair, make-up, purse, binder, and I grabbed the keys as I ran out the door saying, "Trevor, Mom, Let's GO!" Click, bang, and the hum of the big, black truck rang in our ears until we dropped off Trevor.
Fairview High School, supposedly one of the best high schools in Boulder, Colorado. Great. As we turn into the huge parking lot my heart beats a little faster as i realize i have never been to a school this big. There was a giant knight plastered in scarlet and white. Which looked pretty realistic, at first glance. I opened the door and tossed the keys back to my mom.
"Bye, Honey! have a good day!" Mom practically screamed while she fumbled into the driver's seat. I grabbed my binder and purse and headed for the dreadful sign reading "Entrance". I glanced down at my schedule and my eyes fell upon the first class period information, AP Chem 1, Science building, room 177. 
Great. Where's that? I turned into a mob of Jocks, passing a football and screaming "GO LONG!" Among the madness, a certain one of them caught my eye. I couldn't believe it. So, I did a double-take and stood like an idiot, with my mouth half open. It was him, the boy I saw that morning in my dream. The same red shirt, tan skin, big blue eyes, and shaggy brown hair. He ran past me, leaping into the air and catching the ball. I was pretty sure he saw me, and probably thought I was weird. 
I met a teacher in the halls, Mr. Elm whom I followed through the green, green grass and little garden in the courtyard to the science building. "Thank you," I said and I turned into the class, figuring he went to his own classroom. I didn't realize he had followed me in until I turned around and saw him sitting behind the big desk in the back corner of the room with his name on a shiny gold plaque. 
There was one seat left when I walked in. I was receiving quite a few weird stares telling me I was not welcome to sit there; although, Mr. Elm insisted for me to take that seat. Red shirt boy and at least three girls were already sitting there, fighting for his attention. At first, I just wanted to blend in. Then I realized I told myself I was going to change this morning so, I reluctantly sat down. One of the girls, practically sitting on red shirt boy's lap, was Brittney Shank. I was guessing she was the leader of her little clique, and I could tell they already hated me. "What's your name?" She flashed her fake smile at me.
"Calli," I said confidently, glancing at red shirt boy.
"Nice shoes," she spat sarcastically at me. 
I guess she doesn't have a problem with my name. "Thanks!" I said, not realizing the insult. Maybe I will have friends this year. I put my binder down with a thud on the wooden table, cringing at  thesound, before I slid into the cold, hard seat. 
At lunch, the cafeteria is a mad-house. Food is flying, people are shouting, laughing, crying, lines are long, food smells and looks weird, and everyone is separated into their own little "cliques". Yup. I definitely miss California right now. At least I have people to sit by already. I heard Brittney calling my name and turned around to see her sitting with her friends from first hour, red shirt guy, and some of the jocks I saw this morning. There was another empty chair, right across from red shirt guy. I should really figure out his name... "Hey Brittney, Alissa, Janie, and-" I paused and looked at him, hoping he would take the hint.
"Hunter," he finished for me and flashed his pearl white teeth. I saw Brittney pat the empty seat, and motion me over. I set down my plastic plate with the greasy slice of pizza and room temperature cartoon of milk with another thud, making me cringe again, and I sat on the sticky bench. They started in a conversation I wasn't used to and to fit it in I felt the need to join in. I opened my mouth and was surprised at how easily the lies seemed to flow out about things I had never done before. When I wasn't talking, I was looking at how they dressed and noticed the flats, high heels, skirts, and girly dresses. All of which I didn't have. And again, I felt the need to buy clothes like them to fit in. 
After school, Mom picked me up. "No Volleyball?" She asked, as if she didn't already know the answer. 
"Yeah, not until the third week, and that's just tryouts." I explained for the fifth time this week. "Oh, and Mom I was wondering if we could stop by the mall on the way home? I want to buy some new clothes."
"Sure," she sounded confused as she asked, "didn't you just buy THOSE new clothes?" And she pointed to my shirt and shorts.
"Yeah, well, these are California new... not Colorado new."
"What's the difference?" 
I shrugged, not wanting to explain.
"Okay," she said and we took the exit for the Boulder Mall. 
"Ugh," I moaned as I lugged the 15 bags full of new shoes, dresses, and skirts up the stairs, down the hall and into my room.They plopped onto the tan carpet next to the few boxes I had left to unpack. I dug through them, put them away, and decided on what to wear tomorrow. 
The next few days at school, I hung out around Brittney, her friends, and sometimes, Hunter. I pretended to like what everyone else said they liked. One time, Brittney convinced me to steal snacks from a gas station down the street from the school. It didn't feel right but I did it anyways. Anything to impress them or make them like me more. New you. That was your promise, right?  I told myself this anytime I doubted them. 
A few weeks later, Hunter asked me out to lunch, alone, off campus.We went to a burger place across from the school. Once we sat down, he started talking, "Calli, what happened to that girl i saw on the first day?" Before I had time to interrupt, he continued, "That girl with the worn-down boots and the green plaid shirt? The nice, smart girl from California? The girl who never swore, stole, or got a grade lower than an A? The girl-"
"Okay Hunter, I get it.. What about her?" I asked, annoyed with how this lunch was going. 
"Don't you get it, Calli? I liked that girl. Everyone liked that girl, except Brittney and her lame friends. Why did you change for them? She was jealous of you. They all were." He let that sink in for a minute and we sat in silence.
"I don't know. I guess I wanted to fit in and she was the first person I met here." I dazed off into my own thoughts until I heard him take a deep breath in. I wondered if he was as nervous as I was.  
"Come on, let's go outside." I suddenly hear thunder and notice Hunter's red shirt and my black vans. That dream came flooding back to me as we walked outside and he grabbed my hand. 
The rain poured onto my head and the wind sent a chill through my body. I could almost hear it warning me as the rain drops hit the pavement. When I looked back at Hunter, I saw a flash and felt his hand slip away as I fell to the ground.
 I woke up to the cloudy white ceiling of a hospital room. I looked around and found it empty, except the cards by the wall and a flower bouquet that said "Get well soon! -Hunter"
"Is anything up there from Brittney, Alissa or Janie?" I asked Mom who just walked in with Trevor. He ran up to me and gave me a big hug. I smiled at him to reassure him I was fine.
"No, I haven't seen those girls for a while. Sorry, sweetie," she said.
Guess I know who my real friends are. I sighed. Hunter was right.
Once I was cleared for Volleyball, I was right back on that court bumping, setting, and spiking my way onto Varsity. My grades rose back up, Hunter and I didn't talk to Brittney and her friends anymore. I was back to my old new clothes and boots.
The best part was Hunter being there for me. He goes to all of my games, I go to all of his. He nominated me for Homecoming Princess, which I won thanks to him, and he took me to Homecoming.  
He lets me be myself and that's exactly what I need. Almost forgot the funniest part, he told me that the first day of school, he had the same dream i did. 

 

© 2013 Killin-it-Smalls


Author's Note

Killin-it-Smalls
please let me know if there is any grammar problems and if you liked it or thought it was good! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very fast paced, I liked this, like a glass of Vodka double wine. It is smooth with that pinch of something heavy. I hope there is more to come.

Posted 10 Years Ago


it was so wonderful, gives flashbacks at some places! wonderful story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

202 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 23, 2013
Last Updated on September 27, 2013
Tags: #shortstory

Author

Killin-it-Smalls
Killin-it-Smalls

Page, AZ



About
I'm blonde, obviously, you will be able to tell from my writing XD I love writing stories and reading. My Favorite genre is definitely Fiction! :) I am very honest person when it comes to feed-back. more..

Writing