Dream Job

Dream Job

A Story by Killin-it-Smalls
"

Okay so not really a story, more like an essay/biography of what i want to do when i grow up. It's for a class I'm taking.

"

We've all been asked that question, "What are you going to be when you grow up?" As a toddler, the answers are unreasonable like a princess, pirate, mermaid, etc. Then as a kid, the answer would depend on your parent's job or your role model, like a firefighter, policeman, rock star, etc. Finally, when you reach high school, the question becomes more serious. You have to decide what you enjoy doing and what jobs would you be happy doing for the rest of your life. However, I have known what I've wanted to do ever since I was in pre-school and we took a field trip to the hospital. My dream job has always been a doctor, more specifically a Pediatric Neonatologist.

 

 Neonatology is a branch of medicine that deals with the disease and abnormalities of the newborn infant. It is a sub-specialty of Pediatrics, which is a branch of medicine concerned with the care and treatment of children. Neonatologists work in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU). On a daily basis, i would deal with high risk mothers and fetuses pregnancies as well as babies with health issues after birth. Sometimes, i would provide short term care once an infant is released from the hospital. I would plan and coordinate the care of pre-mature and ill newborns. Neonaltologists assist in deliveries of high risk pregnancies, cesarean sections, or any other time there may be an issue with the baby's health. After the baby is born i would coordinate the care with the baby's pediatrician. Lastly, I would diagose and treat newborns with conditions like infections, breathing disorders, and birth defects.

 

 As of May 2008, an hourly wage for a Neonatal Pediatrician was $73.74. The mean, or average annual salary was $153,370. Employment oppurtunities for medical doctors are excellent. Job growth rate is projected at 22% from 2008 to 2018. So, the future procpects in this job are very high and i can earn a lot of money. Employment opportunities are very plentiful, meaning i can get a job just about anywhere. Therefore, i would finally have enough money to buy a nice house/car and the things i need or want.

 

I've always dreamed of going to Duke University after graduating high school. The requirements for applying to Duke in the fall of 2016 are as follows; a single course of Biochemistry, a single course of Cellular Biology and/or Genetics, understanding of basic Physics, Human Physiology, and Anatomy, understanding of Biostatistics/Statistcs, intro to principles of Sociology. While in college i would need a four year degree and courses such as Anatomy, Biochemistry, MicroBiology, Pathology, and Physiology. To continue i would need to pass the board of exams for the profession i would be working in. I need a certificate from the American Board of Pediatrics and the sub-board for a Neonatal-Pediatrition. Total, i would need 4 years of collge, 4 years of medical school, 1 year of internship, 3years of residency in general pediatrics, and an additional 3 years in training for newborn intensive care. I would be in my early 30's when i am officially a Neonatal-Pediatrician.

 

Ever since i was little and all while growing up i've loved helping people, especially kids. Now i have all the steps and information i need to achieve my goals. For example, i know the prequisites for my dream college. I also know what the branch of medicine i want to be in is called, what it means, and what it requires. Plus i know what i would do once i'm in this occupation. Overall, i've learned how to make my childhood dreams come true.

© 2013 Killin-it-Smalls


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on October 4, 2013
Last Updated on October 4, 2013
Tags: #essay #dreamjob #doctor #inform

Author

Killin-it-Smalls
Killin-it-Smalls

Page, AZ



About
I'm blonde, obviously, you will be able to tell from my writing XD I love writing stories and reading. My Favorite genre is definitely Fiction! :) I am very honest person when it comes to feed-back. more..

Writing