Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender

A Story by Sarah Brenner
"

This essay is about how much hatred there is towards the LGBT community back then and today. It is also about how that hatred towards them is a completely wrong attitude to have.

"

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender

By: Sarah Brenner

          The lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender community, commonly known as LGBT, are continuously growing in numbers. The difference between how it is now and how it was back then is extreme. In the past, LGBT persons were frowned upon and not accepted within society. LGBT individuals were also a much smaller community back then, most likely because they would be judged, unvalued, and irrelevant to not only society, but their friends and family. According to Ohio University in 1934, “Gay people were beginning to be rounded up from German-occupied countries and sent to concentration camps. Just as Jews were made to wear the Star of David on the prison uniforms, gay people were required to wear a pink triangle.” In today’s society, we still have people concerned and discriminating against the LGBT community, but the past was way more atrocious with the subject.

          Diversity Best Practices stated that, “When asked about the public’s opinion about marriage equality, 63 percent of those surveyed believe the public is opposed to it. According to Gallup, 53 percent of Americans support marriage equality. This is up 96 percent from 1996, when just 27 percent were in support.” In today’s society, so many states are legalizing same-sex marriage and more celebrities are coming out to the public. Ohio University stated that in 2012, “Barack Obama became the first sitting president to come out in support for gay marriage.” This all shows how much the LGBT community is more socially accepted today than in the past.  Even though they are more socially accepted today, LGBT problems are still important to be aware of. According to the Friendfactor, “Your friends and colleagues can be legally fired or evicted in 29 states just for being gay.” Do you understand how crazy that sounds? Someone has to face horrible consequences just because they are being their self. The Friendfactor also stated that “Gay, lesbian and bisexual kids are 4x more likely to attempt suicide than straight kids.” I do not apprehend how a sane human being would rather have kids kill their selves instead of just supporting the LGBT community. Equality is power and I just do not fathom the idea of someone that wants war and violence. If everyone just supported the LGBT community, there will be less hate and discrimination in the world and more power and peace.

          As you can tell I have a strong opinion on the LGBT community, and I am not even lesbian, gay, bisexual, or a transgender. I also do not even have friends or family that fall under those categories, but I believe everyone should support the LGBT community because they are still human too. Teenagers and adults are committing suicide and being picked on and still people would rather support that than the LGBT community. The Friendfactor stated, “Laws don’t protect gay kids from bullying in 30 states.” The only protection they have are their supporters and community. Therefore, if none of the supporters or community are around when discrimination is taking place then who knows what will happen. People say they do not support the LGBT community because of their religion and I think religion should have no part in it. For example, one of my friends is very religious and one day I told her that I supported the LGBT community. She said that “God made you the way you are supposed to be and if you have to change yourself to love yourself then you should not be here.” Yes, God did make us and that is a great argument, but it does say in the bible somewhere that God loves all of his children. I just cannot comprehend how religious people can say that you should be what God made you, but also say that God loves all of his children. This proves that religion has no part in supporting the LGBT community and people just use religion as an excuse to be a close-minded, inconsiderate, judgmental follower within society.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Works Cited/Bibliography

"Five LGBT Facts You Should Know." Diversitybestpractices.com. Diversity Best Practices, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.

"LGBT Fast Facts." Friendfactor. Friendfactor, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.

"LGBT History." Educational Resources for LGBTA at. Ohio University, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.

© 2016 Sarah Brenner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
Added on May 12, 2016
Last Updated on May 12, 2016
Tags: Gay, Lesbian, bisexual, transgender, gender, issues, LGBT, religion

Author

Sarah Brenner
Sarah Brenner

PA



About
I am currently enrolled in college studying Healthcare Administration and Management. I come from a small town and I enjoy writing from time to time. more..

Writing
Gender Gender

A Story by Sarah Brenner