Allegria

Allegria

A Story by Maxinne Marie
"

Just a draft. Story I wrote for my Humanities project last 2007.

"

 

 

Chapter 1

 

                “Kai, look at her. Is she not beautiful?” Miyai said to the little boy she carried in her arms. Kai’s sapphire eyes stared at the baby sleeping peacefully in a cradle.

                “By what name shall you be calling your first-born?” she asked, turning to look at Zadik.

                “Her name is Zia, Your Majesty,” he replied.

                “How lovely! I foretell she will grow up to be a fine young lady. And maybe even become the Princess of Allegria one day. Is that not right, Kai, my son?” she said, looking at Kai with a smile.

                After visiting Zadik and Ralia to see their newborn, the Empress of Allegria took a walk in the Palace garden. The gentle breeze diffused the scent of flowers. Butterflies glided in midair. There, she sang a lullaby to her son and her voice resonated through the wind. In one of the hallways overlooking the garden, Emperor Khan stood watching Miyai and Kai. He listened to her sing and felt a hint of smile appear on his face. He could still remember.

                Years ago, Khan, Prince of Allegria, had his eyes on a young maiden who sang in the streets with her family of musicians. He fell in love with this lady and married her on the day he was crowned Emperor. And so, the young singer from the streets became the Empress of their world.

                The Emperor walked towards his wife and son. Miyai, upon seeing him, bowed her head in acknowledgement of his presence.

                “He shall be a great Emperor someday, my love. He shall rule our world well, and as long as he does, Allegria will stay at peace with the other worlds.” He said, caressing Kai’s golden hair.

                “He shall be as great as you are, as kind and as brave as the Emperor Khan,” Miyai said. “He is your heir. He is your son. Kai will live up to be just like you.”

                From the Palace, Zadik watched the imperial family. They seem so happy, he sighed, Miyai, if only you knew.

                Zadik was Khan’s childhood best friend, who also fell for the young singer from the streets. However, he did not dare tell anyone. Reserved and mysterious, he usually spent his time training with his father, a Paladin who led the kingdom’s mercenaries. When Khan was crowned Emperor, he chose Zadik as his right-hand. Zadik grew up to be a handsome man and a very skilled fighter. He met a royal-blood named Ralia and married her, and their union breathed life to an entrancing beauty, a baby whom they named Zia.

                She would be perfect for Kai, the Empress thought as a spectrum which appeared as a ball of light formed on her palm. She raised her arm and the light ruptured. A field of different subtle colors formed among the feathery clouds.

                The Allegrians were magical people, yet only a few became powerful enough and mastered their abilities. And since their planet was connected to the Earth by a portal, they adored the company of humans and brought magic to them. Unlike Khan and Miyai who loved the humans, Zadik was not very fond of them and always saw them as an inferior kin. He felt that the magical energy of his planet should be for the Allegrians alone.

                The day came when the Emperor Khan passed away into the Afterlife. Zadik took over his throne since the Prince Kai was still a child. And as Miyai had foretold, Zadik’s daughter indeed became the Princess of Allegria. As time passed, however, Zadik was consumed by power and became a ruthless emperor. He planned to enslave the humans. He was going to do this by force.

                When Miyai heard of this, she fled to the Earth with her son to warn the human emperor about Zadik’s plans. The humans knew they would lose the war since they had no magic, thus they decided to try and take the crystal that gave Zadik his powers, but “doing so,” Miyai said, “would take away Allegria’s life force, and no Allegrian may be able to survive.” So, instead of taking away the crystal, Miyai sealed the portal with a power that can only be broken by her and the true heir to the throne of Allegria. Miyai and Kai lived on the planet Earth since then. Upon learning of what she did, Zadik was outraged. He knew, though, Miyai would have to return with her son someday, and when that fateful day comes, he would make sure that Allegria will still belong to him.

 

 

Chapter 2

 

                Several years passed. Zia, who became the Princess of Allegria, was taught to use her magic and combat skills to fullest of her potentials. She grew up to be a strong and intelligent maiden whose beauty was unusually captivating.

                “The Lerian System,” Emperor Zadik told his daughter, “lies in a galaxy and is near the Solar System. There are three small planets revolving around the star Lerius " Karaj, Erathas, and Allegria. Each planet had three magical portals " two leading to the other planets in the Lerian System, and one leading to the only living planet in the Solar System, the Earth. The three Lerian races shared their ability to use magic with the humans. Their magic came from a force called the Kiari, and the three planets had the Kiari energy contained in three colossal crystals, one for each planet, each kept safe in an underground chamber of a temple. Nevertheless, the peace rifted apart when a human emperor ordered his men to steal the crystal of our planet. With this, the Lerians shut themselves away from the human world, and since then, magic in the Earth ceased to exist. An agreement was made among the Lerians that the portals linking their worlds to the Earth will be sealed and thus, no Karajian, Erathan or Allegrian can ever encounter a human again.”

                “Are the humans dangerous, father?” Zia asked.

                “They can be, but they are merely living beings with no magic at all.” Zadik said, “And they want our powers. You can never trust a human, Zia. Never trust anyone from the planet Earth.”

                “I shall keep that in mind, father,” she paused, “I was thinking though, were there any Lerians left behind on Earth when the portals had been closed?”

                Emperor Zadik was silent. He remembered the Allegrian Empress Miyai and Prince Kai who fled to the Earth years ago to protect the humans from his wrath.

                “Father?”

                “Go to the training grounds, Zia. We shall practice your skills today.”

                “But "”

                “No more questions, child. You’ve learned enough about the other worlds.”

                “Yes, father,” she said as she stood up and headed outside the palace.

                “You will rule Allegria someday, my daughter,” he silently said to himself, smirking, “We shall make sure no one gets in our way.”

 

 

Chapter 3

 

                Lightyears away from Allegria, in the planet Earth, Kai wielded his long sword with his right hand as he leaped from the ground and while up in the air, he stretched out his left arm and from his hand emitted a flash of ice blue light. The beam traveled into the distance and disappeared, and Kai landed on his feet with knees bent and his right upper body slightly leaning forward. His long, spiked golden hair was blown by the breeze. He breathed heavily.

Behind his back, he heard the sound of two hands in applause. He put his sword on the sheath that rested on his back and turned around. There he saw a young maiden in flowing robes of pale purple. She had caramel skin and her long dark hair swirled with the wind. The pale purple fabric she wore clung as the breeze blew, silhouetting her svelte physique.

“You can use magic,” she said interestedly.

“Oh, hello! I’m Kai.”

“You are a very good fighter, Kai. That move was amazing. You’re not from this place, are you?”

“Actually, no,” he paused, “Have you ever heard of… Allegria? My mother and I came from that place.”

“Allegria? Then… you are not human, Kai,” she smiled, “that’s quite… interesting.”

“Not human? Of course I am human. I just, well, I can, you know, I have these… powers.”

“My mother used to tell me that Allegria was a planet inhabited by people who had magical abilities. You are Allegrian, are you not?”

“Maybe,” he giggled, “May I know your name, fair maiden?”

“I’m… nobody. I have to go now,” with a teasing smile, she waved her hand and walked away in a fast pace.

                There was a little curve on Kai’s lips as he watched the young lady whose name she did not tell. Something about that girl made him feel drawn to her. Was it her long hair or her hazel eyes? Could it have been her smile? Or was it simply because this maiden had left some mysteries for him to find out? Kai was quite interested in her. All he felt was a desire to see her again and know who she is.

As soon as Kai went back to the imperial palace where the human emperor offered them to stay years ago, he asked his mother to tell him about Allegria.

“Allegria is a planet, my son. We came from another planet.”

Kai was dumbfounded.

“The Lerian System lies in a galaxy where the Solar System also is. There are three small planets revolving around the star Lerius " Karaj, Erathas, and Allegria. Each planet had three magical portals " two leading to the other planets in the Lerian System, and one leading to the only living planet in the Solar System, the Earth,” Miyai spoke as Kai stared into her blue eyes, “The three Lerian races shared their ability to use magic with the humans, Their magic came from a force called the Kiari, and the three planets had the Kiari energy contained in three colossal crystals, one for each planet, each kept safe in an underground chamber of a temple. Nevertheless, the peace rifted apart when the Allegrian Emperor Khan passed away. His right hand, Zadik, took over his throne because the true heir, Khan’s son, was still a child. When Zadik became emperor, he embraced his power too much and became a hardhearted ruler. He planned to turn the humans into slaves. Khan’s wife, the Empress of Allegria fled to the Earth with their son to warn the humans of Zadik’s plans. The humans were afraid because they had no magic, so they thought of taking away the Kiari crystal to deprive Zadik of his powers. But the Empress told them not to since doing so would take away the energy that supports the life of the planet. So she used her strongest powers to seal the portals that led to the three Lerian planets. The power that sealed the portals can only be broken by her and the true heir to the throne of Allegria.”

“Did the Empress and her son stay here, mother?” he asked.

“Yes, Kai, they spent their lives on Earth until the Prince was ready to reclaim the kingdom that is rightfully his.”

“Who is this Prince?”

“You are, my son. You are the Prince of Allegria, heir to your father’s throne.”

Kai could not move nor speak.

 

 

Chapter 4

 

                Kai felt unusual as he walked on the streets. He just found out that the girl he met was right. He was not human at all. He could use magic because he was not of the planet he walked on that moment. He came from somewhere else. He was Allegrian. More than that, his mother Miyai was actually the Empress of Allegria and his father whom he never met was the planet’s great ruler. Kai was lost in thoughts until he heard a song in the wind. He walked towards where the sound was coming from, and there he saw exactly whom he wanted to see. Suddenly, all the uneasiness he felt vanished.

                He was drawn to her even more. She seemed perfect as she sang in a corner with instrumentalists behind her. Her voice was like silk caressed on one’s skin. Kai stared. Her face was unassertive " not overly beautiful, but possessing earthy features that seemed to exude gaiety, boldness and fire, at the same time, sweet sorrow and hidden fears concealed behind her subtly sharp eyes that seemed to impale one’s soul in a sensually soft way. She exuded refinement in the way she moved, yet she seemed lithe at the same time. People who watched dropped coins on a bag in the ground as the group performed their musical number. When the girl and her companions finished performing, Kai just had to talk to her. And this time, know her name.

                “Terra,” she said, “It means earth,” she smiled at him and left.

                Kai later learned that Terra belonged to a family of street musicians. Whenever she and her family would perform, Kai would always watch. On some days, they’d meet up at the seashore to look at the sunset together. When nightfall came, they would gaze at the stars. And Kai would wonder which of those Lerius was. Terra and Kai were so alike yet so different. They were both fond of sunsets and night skies, songs and stories, the wind on their faces and the spark in each other’s eyes. And yet, Terra was a human being. Kai was not.

 

 

Chapter 5

 

                And then, the day came. Kai would go back to his home planet with his mother. That meant he had to leave his life on Earth behind " including Terra.

                The Empress and the Prince left at daybreak. Miyai told her son to open the portal to Allegria using his magic, and after several tries, he finally did. Kai never thought that the magic his mother used on the portal was so strong, and he never knew that they were more powerful than he ever thought they could be.

                Upon entering the portal which was concealed as a huge tree, a blinding white light made them close their eyes, and when Miyai told her son that he could open them, Kai realized he was in a totally different world.

                Allegria.

Looking at the distance, he saw a huge palace that had towers. He was enthralled by the unusual plants around him and the animals that he thought only existed in myths. When he looked up, he was spellbound by the folds and arches of colored lights that clothed the sky with vibrant radiance. And in that moment, he wished Terra was there to see his world.

                Miyai and Kai secretly traveled into the imperial city. It was different. She could see a gigantic glass statue of a handsome man. Zadik. Only ruins of the old buildings Miyai used to see when she was Empress remained. Miyai found out that her family no longer lived in the palace since Zadik’s reign. So she looked for them in their small old house. She knocked. Miyai’s parents were overjoyed when they say their daughter. She then introduced her son Kai, the Prince of Allegria.

                The heir has returned.

Before going into the palace and facing the emperor, Kai wanted to explore Allegria first. His mother allowed him to do so.

                After going around, Kai went to a field and started practicing. He jumped high, whirled his sword, and unleashed his magical powers. While doing so, he felt someone was going to attack him behind his back. He quickly turned around and defended himself against the sword that brandished before him. Before he knew it, he was in a fight with a woman.

                Her deep blue eyes stared sharply at Kai’s. She moved with intense vigor and agility which gave Kai a hard time fighting back. Kai jumped back and conjured a flash of ice blue that hurtled towards the woman. Upon seeing that, she unleashed a blast of shadow from her hand. The energies clashed and the lady was thrown back.

                “What do you want?” Kai pointed his sword at the maiden who lay on the ground.

                She chuckled. “I just came out to play.”

Avoiding the sword pointed at her, she stood up and brushed the long strands of black hair that covered part of her face. Kai was taken aback when he saw how enigmatic her beauty was. She was stunning in her black outfit accentuating her slender torso, broad shoulders and lean legs. Her face was angelic. She was fragile-looking and yet her eyes told him she was strong. With a beauty like hers, he was impressed at how cunning she was. He heaved a sigh of relief and admiration.

“My name is Kai,” he said, “and you are?”

She raised one eyebrow. “You do not know who I am?”

“I’m sorry, but, no. I would be glad, though, if you would tell me.”

“You must be new to this place. I’m Zia.”

“Zia,” Kai was surprised. Memories flashed through his mind. He thought he’d heard that name before.

“So, Kai, did you come from another planet that you do not even know who I am?”

“Yes, actually. I just came from the planet Earth.”

“Earth? You’re… you’re human!” She pointed her sword at him and gave him a wrathful look.

“Why are you so mad? I’m Allegrian. I just lived on Earth all my life.”

“Prove it.”

“Fine,” he sighed and conjured a ball of white radiance which then turned into a light pink water lily. He gave the flower to Zia.

“Wow,” her eyes widened, “I’ve never seen a flower like this before. It’s beautiful.”

Kai smiled. So did she. It was undeniable that the two had the same strange feeling that they already met each other in the past. Their names seemed familiar to each other. There was a connection between them. Fate was mischievous.

 

 

Chapter 6

 

                After a few days, Kai went to face Zadik in the imperial palace that was once his home. He entered the palace doors and found the Emperor seated in his father’s throne.

                “Zadik,” he said loudly, “I’ve come back.”

                “Wretched fool,” Zadik was outraged, “Who are you that you dared come inside my palace?”

                “I am the heir of Allegria. I am the Emperor Khan’s son. And now that I have returned, you may step down now. I’m here to reclaim my father’s throne.”

                “Kai! It’s… you. Welcome back, young Prince,” he said coldly.

                “I’ll say it one more time, Zadik. I’m here to reclaim my father’s throne. You may step down now.”

                “I’m afraid,” he paused and looked straight at Kai’s eyes, “that is something I would never do.”

                With those words, thirteen dark human figures emerged from the ground encircling Kai. They were clothed in black in such a way that one could not see any flesh. Their hands, covered in gauntlets, clasped weapons " some had flails, others had swords and a few more held katars on both hands. Kai stood ready.

                As soon as he sensed one of the dark warriors coming up from behind his back, he jumped high and while up in the air, pulled out his sword from the sheath on his back. He landed outside the circle the warriors formed and positioned himself to fight, holding his long sword in front of him. As the black-clad beings ran towards him brandishing their weapons, Kai defended himself. He moved swiftly and forcefully, avoiding the attacks.

He fought back. His superb skills with the sword did not fail him. One by one, scarlet sprayed and all thirteen lay lifeless on the palace’s floor.

“Bravo,” Zadik clapped slowly. Pulling a sword from beside the throne, he walked towards the young Prince. “I remember quite well the look on your father’s face when he died. I want to see it again, though, this time, on his son’s.”

“You b*****d!” Kai was enraged, “You killed my father!”

Zadik smirked. With this, Kai wielded his sword and attacked furiously. Zadik, to Kai’s surprise, was stronger than he thought. Their swords clashed. Kai jumped back and unleashed his magical energy. Flashes of black and blue collided. Through the blinding light, Zadik appeared and with a flash of his blade, he wounded Kai’s left arm. Kai fell back and Zadik watched him bleed.

“It is time to be with your father, Kai,” he raised his sword, ready to claim a life.

There was a cry of pain.

“No!” Kai screamed, “Zia!”

Zia ran and protected Kai as Zadik was about to stab him. Zadik had killed his own daughter instead. He was taken aback.

“Zia! Why did you "” Kai broke into tears as he cradled Zia in his arms. Zia, the Allegrian maiden who was once foretold to be with Kai as his Princess, and later his Empress, saved his life. Was it what love meant? Sacrifice? Fate was mischievous. Fate was cruel.

Tears fell from her eyes. She gave Kai a faint smile and finally closed her eyes.

Kai stood up leaving Zia on the floor. Furious yet devastated, Zadik aimed for Kai using his powerful dark magic. Shadow flew towards the prince, yet before it could hit him, a flash of white countered the black magic.

It was Miyai.

Zadik was outraged. He ran out of his palace.

 “Mother! You saved me.”

“Kai, the Earth is in danger. Go after him, my son. Go, now.”

“You’ll be fine here, won’t you, mother?”

“Everything will be alright, Kai. Now, go.”

Kai ran out as fast as he could, and entered the portal to the Earth. Just then, something entered his mind. Terra. He headed to the city, and on the streets, there he saw Terra in the hands of Zadik. He placed his sword on her neck and threatened to kill her. Terra’s family wailed, begging him to release her.

“Let her go, Zadik!” Kai said loudly.

Zadik laughed, raised his weapon, and pierced himself. Terra screamed and ran towards Kai.

In the imperial palace of Allegria, Miyai lay exhausted on the floor. From where the emperor’s throne was, a blinding light appeared. Miyai watched the figure walk towards her.

“It is time, my love,” a deep voice echoed through the halls.

“But what about our son?” Miyai replied.

“He is ready to rule Allegria now. He will be alright.”

Miyai rose, leaving her body behind. So did Zia. Khan took the two women’s hands and they walked towards the light.

Kai came into the palace carrying Zadik’s lifeless body. Terra was with him. He lay Zadik on the floor and ran to his mother. Her face was peaceful. Kai’s tears fell. Terra went over and gave him an embrace.

 

 

Chapter 7

 

                The day of glory, triumph and happiness came at last. The High Priests crowned Kai Emperor of Allegria. As the Emperor Kai was crowned, Terra smiled faintly at him and walked out of the palace. Kai went after her.

                “Terra,” he said, “where are you going?”

                They walked together.

                “This is your world, Kai. The Earth is mine. I don’t belong here.”

                “Please, stay. We will rule Allegria together, Terra. You will be my Empress. Please do not go.”

                “My people need me, Kai. My family needs me. I have to go back.”

                “But, Terra "” Kai spoke, and Terra pressed a finger on his lips.

                “Do not forget to remember me, Kai. I will never forget you,” she smiled, her eyes sparkling with tears that had yet to fall. She turned around.

When she was about to enter the portal, Kai said, “Wait,” he pulled out something shimmering from his pocket.

“This was my mother’s. I want you to have it,” he slipped the crystal necklace onto Terra’s neck. He leaned towards her, cupped her face with his hands and their lips touched. Terra held his body with her arms. They let go and said “goodbye”. Terra turned away, tears falling from her eyes, and entered the portal that led to the Earth.

Months passed, and Allegria became peaceful again. There were no traces left of Zadik’s darkness. With Kai as the emperor, Allegria was filled with magic and joy like it was during his father’s reign.

Not far away from the imperial palace, someone had just come out of a portal. There stood a caramel-skinned, dark-haired woman wearing a crystal pendant. She sang softly. Her hair flowed with the breeze. She looked at the sceneries in Allegria.

“We are here now, my princess,” she looked at the infant she carried in her arms. “We shall meet your father and we shall never part again.”

© 2015 Maxinne Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I do think the chapters were summarized because this was just a draft and Maxinne intended to give the readers just an ample amount of her novella's skin.

It also seems that Kai is the leading character in this novella as he is given more depth and impression.

I like this almost as much as I like the Starfall prophecie of yours. The only draw back is the fact that this was not the finished product and that I have to wait to fully get the majestic portrayal of this story.

Hoping to read more on this saga of yours, my friend.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very interesting, I really like it. I do suggest however, that you flesh it out...a lot.
Each of the chapters feel like a summary instead of a story within themselves, they feel rushed. More dialogue is definitely needed between all of the characters so that the reader can figure out for herself what they think of each other, instead of you telling all.
I must point out that your descriptions of the scenery are great, but more is needed of the characters themselves. The only one you described fully is Terra, but it felt more like a description of Kai's impression of her than anything.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 9, 2008
Last Updated on July 31, 2015

Author

Maxinne Marie
Maxinne Marie

Iloilo City, Western Visayas, Philippines



About
The Flightless Angel Maxinne Marie Belo Sentina. Portrait photographer, beauty/fashion blogger, aspiring musical theatre singer, poet, mermaid, RN. Graduated from West Visayas State University. Loves.. more..

Writing