Butterfly Wings

Butterfly Wings

A Story by Maxinne Marie
"

A fantasy story I wrote when I was 14.

"

 

Midnight. A strange mystic hour, when the veil between the frail present and the eternal future grows thin. While the moon floats across the inky blue sky, glowing with pure and lovely light, while stars glittering like diamonds encircle the dome of night, everything is silent.

 

In the silence of midnight, she's walking, following a butterfly - a butterfly so enthralling, its wings were glowing vibrant shades of purple and yellow as it floated in midair. She didn't know where she was, for it was so dark. Everything was black, except for the butterfly. She followed, not knowing where it would lead her. After a while, she saw something. It was a faint white light. As she got nearer, the light grew brighter until it was blinding that she had to close her eyes. Slowly she opened them, and she couldn't believe what she saw.

 

The butterfly had led her into the woods. There were tall, majestic trees, blooming fragrant flowers of yellow, pink and white, soft grass with a rich hue of green, glowing butterflies and fireflies, and the sweet sound of flowing streams. She saw little creatures - tiny human figures with wings similar to a dragonfly's, glowing pale blue and leaving a trail of sparkling dust wherever they flew. They were slightly larger than a finger. The large, silver moon was shining brightly, the sky was dotted with sparkling stars, and she stared in awe at everything around her. Then the butterfly rested upon her hand, and she watched as the moonlight shone on its radiant wings. And suddenly she heard the sound of a flute falling from on high like soft rain upon leaves. She decided to walk towards where the sound was coming from.

 

She couldn't believe her eyes. She just saw the most amazing being. It was a boy, sitting on the lower branch of a gigantic tree. He was playing a flute. The boy had pointed ears, dark hair, and milky-white skin. He looked down and saw the girl. He stopped playing, and stared.

 

"Uhm... what's your name?" the girl asked.

 

The boy stood up, spread his wings and flew down. The young girl sighed in amazement as she looked at his wings - large wings like that of a butterfly, glowing blue and silver. The boy said, "My name is Eric."

 

"I'm Cassandra," the girl said, "Can you tell me... where am I?"

 

"This is the kingdom of Valinor. Would you, um, like to see the kingdom?" Eric said.

 

Cassandra agreed. She and Eric walked, while he showed her the creatures and places in Valinor. The glowing little creatures were pixies. The sparkling dust they left wherever they flew was called pixie dust. She saw a garden filled with golden flowers, and above them hovered butterflies of different colors, glowing just like the purple-and-yellow butterfly that was on her hand. She looked at the trees, and saw a lovely woman dressed in green, and she had green eyes, green skin, and green hair that flowed in the breeze. They had seen a nymph, as Eric told her. It was one of the lovely forest nymphs, the guardians of the trees and everything else in the woods.

 

"Eric," Cassandra said, "this is the most beautiful place I have ever seen in my entire life. And... you... you have wings."

 

"Oh yes, Cassandra," said Eric, "I am a fairy. And we are in a world ruled by fairies."

 

"I can't believe I'm actually with a fairy. You are so amazing," said the girl.

 

"And I finally met a human being," Eric said.

 

He smiled. His chinky blue eyes twinkled under the moonlight. Cassandra was staring at him for quite a while. Then Eric asked her if she'd like to listen to him play his flute. They sat down on a large rock, and Cassandra closed her eyes as she listened to the tranquil sound of the sweetest music she ever heard. After a while, she opened her eyes.

 

It was six in the morning, and she was lying on her bed, inside her room. She sighed. "The butterfly. Pixies. Nymphs. Music. Fairies... Eric! Wow. What a dream! It was so... so... real."

 

Our story does not just end with a dream. It is merely the beginning.

© 2008 Maxinne Marie


Author's Note

Maxinne Marie
Pardon the quite childish outlook. I was 14 when I wrote this fairy story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I must say for having written this at 14 it's hardly childish at all. Innocent perhaps, but far from childish. Talent that raw at such a young age is rare...it's funny, sometimes I read the stuff I wrote years ago and wonder where the hell it came from and if I'll ever write anything as good again...I really enjoyed this, I thought it was a beautiful dream. Thank you for sharing! =)

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Definitely not childish. This is lovely and visually evocative and musical. It's like listening to tinkling music when you read it.
In the silence of midnight, she's walking, following a butterfly - a butterfly so enthralling, its wings were glowing vibrant shades of purple and yellow as it floated in midair. - you could almost sing this.

Thanks.

Jeff

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love fairy tales and this one is sooooo beautiful. I can actual see my own self walking though this wonderful glittering fairy world. This is a very nice read, very relaxing and tranquil. Way to go!

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I must say for having written this at 14 it's hardly childish at all. Innocent perhaps, but far from childish. Talent that raw at such a young age is rare...it's funny, sometimes I read the stuff I wrote years ago and wonder where the hell it came from and if I'll ever write anything as good again...I really enjoyed this, I thought it was a beautiful dream. Thank you for sharing! =)

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

213 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008

Author

Maxinne Marie
Maxinne Marie

Iloilo City, Western Visayas, Philippines



About
The Flightless Angel Maxinne Marie Belo Sentina. Portrait photographer, beauty/fashion blogger, aspiring musical theatre singer, poet, mermaid, RN. Graduated from West Visayas State University. Loves.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..