'Star Crossed' Sneak Peek 2

'Star Crossed' Sneak Peek 2

A Story by Sarah J Dhue
"

Meet Alejandro Drysdale.

"

            “So, we have the list of names of the authors and publications to be watching for the gallery opening articles.  Hopefully they all yield shining reviews,” Harry Malcolm sat at one end of the small conference table, a packet of papers held in his hands stapled together in one corner, a few sheets already flipped over and rustling from the force of the ceiling fan.  “Next order of business…  I have the names and numbers of several investors looking to build.”  He looked over the papers and his glasses at Alejandro Drysdale, raising an eyebrow.  Alejandro sat at the opposite end of the table, leaning back in his chair and fiddling with his tie.  He was a handsome young man, with short, shiny black hair and shimmering brown eyes.  “Are you listening, young man?”

            “Yes,” Alejandro sighed, dropping his tie to his chest and sitting up, looking at Harry with annoyance, but also his undivided attention.

            “Good.  A lot of important men showed up last night and they liked what they saw.  I take it you liked what you saw last night as well,” Harry grimaced disapprovingly at Alejandro, scratching what little bit of hair remained on his head.

            Alejandro looked confused, feigning ignorance, “Just what do you mean?”

            “Do not play dumb with me, Alex.”  Harry set the papers down on the table, his mustache bristling.  “I saw you hanging around the bar, shooting that charming smile at any woman who passed by and would give you a few seconds of their time.  I know you think you are quite clever, and that you eluded me, but I was keeping my eye on you.  Why do you think I cut in when you were getting a little comfortable with Ms. Raimondi?”

            Alejandro rolled his eyes.  “I am a flirt, Harry.  And I was enjoying a few cocktails.  Allow a man to have his vices.”  He leaned back in his chair again, “And as for Ms. Raimondi, as she herself told you, we were discussing business.”

            “You were there for business, not pleasure,” Harry huffed, his face turning red as he clenched his fist.

            “Oh, I’m sorry.  I thought the party was celebrating me and my accomplishment.  Surely I should be allowed to have a little bit of pleasure,” Alejandro stood and walked across the room, bending over to open the half fridge and pulling out a bottle of water.

            “Guh… but… appearances… keep up… gr…” Harry growled, his words becoming unintelligible as his face grew redder, taking on the hue of a tomato.

            “Watch your blood pressure,” Alejandro said, cracking open the bottle and returning to his chair, taking a long swig.

            Harry took a deep breath, bugging out his eyes and then exhaling loudly.  “Alex, I wish you would take things seriously.”

            “I do take things seriously.  I just also know how to have a good time.  What is the next item on our list?”  Alejandro leaned back in his chair, taking another drink of his water.

            Harry grumbled something under his breath and picked up the packet up papers, scanning it with his eyes and resuming his place.  “I could not seem to find Ms. Raimondi’s agent at the opening last night; it appears that he had already left.  I asked around and got his business card off of someone.  Left him a message this morning about your collab.”

            Alejandro almost spit out his water.  His heart was suddenly beating out of his chest.  “Oh, you did?  That really wasn’t necessary, Ms. Raimondi and I exchanged information-”

            “Business, Alex, the business goes through me first,” Harry firmly reminded him.

            Alejandro glared across the table at him.  Harry often liked to remind him that everything had to pass by him first.  “Sure, whatever,” Alejandro said, waving him off.  “I still just think it’s a bit early to get our agents involved.  I’m not even sure if we will be moving forward.  It was just a thought.”

            “Never too early.  We are supposed to be the first step.”  Harry let silence hang in the air between them for a moment.  “However, next order of business…”

            Alejandro groaned, leaning back in his chair and staring up at the ceiling.  He hated these meetings with Harry.  He always insisted on renting out a conference room for the two of them at the agency, and the meetings always seemed to drag on for an eternity.

© 2018 Sarah J Dhue


Author's Note

Sarah J Dhue
An excerpt from my July 2018 Camp NaNoWriMo.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on July 29, 2018
Last Updated on July 29, 2018
Tags: SarahJDhue, Sarah J Dhue, Dhue, sneak peek, novel, Camp NaNoWriMo, romance, Alejandro

Author

Sarah J Dhue
Sarah J Dhue

In the author's lair, IL



About
I am Sarah J Dhue. I am an author, as well as a photographer & graphic designer, currently going to school for web design. I've been writing since I was in elementary school. I live in Illinois. My f.. more..

Writing