Incorporate These Unique Ideas For Your Next Home Improvement Project

Incorporate These Unique Ideas For Your Next Home Improvement Project

A Story by Scott Hilbert

In today's economy, the best way to obtain a new home is to improve the one you already have. You may not be able to sell your home for the price you deserve. Rather than go through the hassle of real estate dealings, why not just upgrade where you live now? Improve your current home with the advice in this article.

Repainting a porch may be something you need to do. You should always buy paint that is of good quality meant for the outdoors. Choose a paint similar to the old one; do not apply an oil-based paint over a water based-one or the other way around. While oil-based paints are great for trim due to their durability, they generally shouldn't be used on outdoor floors or decks, because they can become very slippery when it snows.



Use old shoe boxes to add some storage to your home. Find a bit of fabric or wallpaper with a nice print, and cover the shoe boxes in the design you like best. This is a wonderful way to give yourself extra storage or just add simple visual drama to a room.

Without much decoration and personality, simple lamp shades are sometimes very boring. By decorating these shades with stencils and paint from a craft store, you can turn a dreary lamp into a focal point in any room. This will give your rooms some personality, taking away from the reality of how boring an ordinary lamp shade can be.

When baseboards are on the agenda for replacement, consider a stained wood look instead of painted. Not only are stained baseboards more classic, the warm wood tones complement any decor. Stained baseboards also do a better job of hiding scuffs and scratches. As an added bonus, there are dozens of different wood stains to choose from.

Keep your garage organized by getting yourself some boxes that are plastic to arrange the items by type, size, and how often they're used. Select boxes that stack, and label each one. This is an inexpensive way to clean the garage and prevent bugs and rodents from damaging your belongings.

Safety is a very important part of any home improvement project. Risk is always involved in improvement projects to some degree, so make sure you understand how to use your power tools safely and never be afraid to ask someone for help if you are confused. In addition, there are many tutorials on the Internet that can greatly help you.

A good home improvement tip is to make sure you write up a contract with your handyman when they come out to assess any problems. A contract means extra charges will not arise, as well as you not having to worry about exploitation. No contract, no recourse.

When hiring a contractor, you have to keep track of everything that you do with that professional. Don't just assume the contractor will do this for you. Keep a folder with all contracts and invoices relevant to the project you are doing. This will turn out to be very useful if you find yourself in a conflict with your contractor.

The information from this article can help teach you how to transform your house into a home. Home improvement is much more cost efficient than you may know.

© 2018 Scott Hilbert


Author's Note

Scott Hilbert
Hey, I am Scott from USA. Today I am writing about Incorporate These Unique Ideas For Your Next Home Improvement Project

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on January 27, 2018
Last Updated on January 27, 2018

Author

Scott Hilbert
Scott Hilbert

Austin, TX



About
Unapologetic pop culture geek. Writer. Creator. Professional communicator. Bacon fan. General music maven. more..

Writing