Jasmine

Jasmine

A Story by Suzanne C. Suber

Jasmine

by Suzanne C. Suber

 

 

As Rashid approached, it was easier for him to see the expression on Jasmine’s face.  It was in the moonlight he found her, sitting at the edge of the Maharajah’s pool.  Her form bent low, as she appeared to be mesmerized by the reflection of the moon in the ink-black water. 

 

The evening breeze sighed through her dress of many veils.  In the distance she appeared as a vision, an apparition of the night.  Her beauty was unmistakable.  The light descending from the clear starlit sky reflected her every detail. 

 

Sadness was written upon her face.  Had she longed for him as intensely as he had longed for her?  Rashid felt as if a dagger had pierced his heart for having caused her such sorrow.  Never could he love another and feel so much love in return.  Yet, the earnest, undying love that she displayed in his behalf had frightened him.  She had suffered many rejections from ones that had been very close to her, ones that she had loved.  Now, she must have felt that Rashid had rejected her as well. 

 

“How could I have released such cruel words in her direction?  He asked himself, “How could I have been so careless?  Would there be room in her heart for forgiveness, after I had pained her so?  Her eyes looked as though she had shed many a tear.  Both hands were clutched at her heart, surely to contain her pain.               

 

His fear pressed for him to turn away and never return.  For the possibility of embarrassment and rejection caused him a great amount of affliction.  It was a strong inner emotion that drew him in her direction.  The overpowering love that Rashid came to realize, at that moment, made him feel physically unstable. 

 

“What had my priorities been?” he questioned, “What were they now?  Was it the strong need to guard myself from harm, or the desire to share the like feeling that I had been unable to express?  Should I find the strength to approach her, would she forgive my leaving, or turn aside from my presence?”

 

As his inner energy began to make its escape, the decision was clear.  Fervently, he stepped forward, determined to have his answer.  Hearing his steady footsteps, Jasmine turned to face in his direction. 

 

Rashid felt his heart leap in anticipation of her response.  The look that he received melted away the fears that had grown needlessly within his soul.  A tear escaped him, for rather than scorn, she showered him with her most radiant smile.  It was not difficult to sense her uneasiness.  Had his return been out of love or to stab her yet once more with the intense pain that she had carried within her bosom? 

 

As he approached, opening his arms in her direction, he saw a twinkle in her eyes.  Perhaps it had been a reflection from the Maharajah’s pool, although Rashid would never believe that explanation, for he was strongly convinced that it came from within the inner gleam of her heart. 

 

Suddenly, what had been a long duration became a quick passing of time.  The softness of her flesh made his heart leap and the scent of her perfume softened the previous fears that had unnecessarily haunted him so.  Looking up into his eyes, her tears of joy released the bonds that had plagued him for so long. 

 

Unexpectedly, the words that had been so difficult to utter, surprised him.  His own ears heard him speak, “I love you.  You are my night-blooming Jasmine by the iridescent pond.  You are the nightingale that fills me with the melodies of your love.  I very much want to make you my own and wish to fill you with all the love that you are able to contain.  Forgive me for my previous insensitivity to your needs.” 

 

Yet, before I could utter another word, she touched her finger to my lips, and without a word assured me that all was well.  At that very moment, a star fell from the sky, as to give a blessing to what had just occurred.

 

 

© 7/28/96

683 words 

© 2008 Suzanne C. Suber


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Suzanne you have a very descriptive style and you used it well with this story. The tone was placid which was the right choice to showcase the most excellent ending to this story. This was wrote in '96' May I read a newer story?

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

84 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 16, 2008

Author

Suzanne C. Suber
Suzanne C. Suber

FL



About
Writing is my therapy, my heart reaching out. Love is the ink that runs through my veins and out my fingertips with pen in hand. It is so amazing; to have a thought, start writing, and be transport.. more..

Writing
Pepe Pepe

A Story by Suzanne C. Suber