Best Friends at the Beach

Best Friends at the Beach

A Story by Fireworks07
"

Alyssa (Ali) and Cole have been inseparable best friends sine they were little kids (four years old). On her 13th birthday, things start to blossom into something more. Will this tear them apart?

"

“Come on, Ali” a voiced hissed, sounding urgent. I groaned uncooperatively and rolled over onto my stomach.

Whoever’s trying to wake me up should know better. I’m not a morning person at all. Also, it’s my birthday, so I should be allowed to sleep in, at least until it’s light outside.

Following this angry rant in my head, I have a few important realizations.

  1. It’s my birthday!

  2. It’s so early (or late) it’s still dark out.

Lastly, after a moment of silent fuming, I realize the rude person waking me up is my best friend, Cole, and that he has a good reason for disturbing my beauty sleep.

We’re sneaking out to celebrate the first few minutes of my birthday together on the beach. I know that sounds romantic, but I swear, we’re just friends. Dating him would be gross, all that kissing and constant mushiness- we both agree it’s disgusting.

Anyways, after, sliding on a pair of flip-flops (even though it’s December) and sweatpants, the two of us are slipping out the window and shimmying down the bare tree like we’ve done it a thousand times.

Which we have.

“Race you to the boardwalk!” (Yes, we have a boardwalk, it is the Jersey shore), a mischievous voice broke into my thoughts. I shake my head and sprint after Cole, who’s laughing his head off a few feet in front of me.

“Cheater! And on the night before my birthday!” We race down through the familiar streets, neck to neck by the time the boardwalk is in sight. Grunting, I put on a burst of speed, but at the exact same time that Cole does. Both of us tear over the rickety wooden planks, our finish line, within a split second of each other.

“I … won” Cole pants

“No way … I did!” I protest, still catching my breath.

“Sure, sure. I’ll let you have this one, but just because it’s almost your birthday.” Cole smirks, the pale glow from the street lights casting shadows across his face.

I sigh and shake my head, knowing that he’d never admit that he lost, not in a million years.

“Come on, cheater.” I beckon, inhaling the salty sea air and kicking off my flip-flops, “Let’s get to the beach.” We pad into the soft sand and I happily squish it with my toes. It’s nice to be home. Technically, Long Branch isn’t where I live. In reality, I live in prestigious West Windsor. It’s ultra-competitive, and harsh. Basicly, if you don’t win some kind of big award, or at least get into an ivy-league college down the line, you’re considered to be stupid.

Long Branch, on the other hand, is where all my happiest childhood memories took place. I pretty much grew up here! It’s also where Cole lives

“I didn’t think it would be this cold.” Cole comments, breaking the companionable silence between us. That’s one of the many things I love about being with him. We could do absolutely nothing, and still have fun.

“It’s the middle of December and you didn’t expect it to be cold?” I question, giving Cole a “seriously” look. He shrugs and we go back to walking hand-in-hand along the beach. I shiver a little,- Hey, I knew it would be cold, I just left my sweatshirt in Cole’s room- and, wordlessly, Cole wraps a warm arm around my shoulders and pulls me closer to him. We begin to chat about our plans for my birthday (sleep, eat, movies, cake) for a few minutes, until Cole glances at his watch.

“Hey, it’s 12:01. Happy Birthday!” He says and we stop walking.

“Thanks,” I reply with a smile, sensing that he has something else to say.

“13 is a pretty important birthday.” he starts, sounding nervous. I smile reassuringly. “You’re not just a kid anymore. I would know; I am a year older that you” Cole continues, turning towards me. Towards the end, he seems to revert back to his usual, cocky, self, but then he remembers what his point is and picks up the apprehensive facade again.

“One thing that comes with being a teenager…” He takes my face in his hand. And leans down towards me, pausing when his lips were barely a centimeter from mine. He looked into my eyes for a second, and then continued on to press against my lips in a soft, sweet kiss. Hesitantly, I reached up to wrap my arms around Cole's shoulders and pull him closer to me.

As we pulled apart reluctantly, with small grins plastered to our faces, the only thought I had was, Maybe all that kissing isn’t such a bad thing.

© 2016 Fireworks07


Author's Note

Fireworks07
Any advice is welcome, don't hold back and give the candid truth.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on December 10, 2016
Last Updated on December 10, 2016
Tags: bestfriends, Best Friends, Middle school, Beach, Jersey Shore, Boardwalk, First Kiss

Author

Fireworks07
Fireworks07

Karachi, NJ, Pakistan



About
i am a Student studying in MUET Jamshoro Engineering Universty As A Electrical Engineer more..

Writing