(Undecided)

(Undecided)

A Story by Esperanza
"

I found a prompt on the internet that gave me the inspiration to dig deep into the thought. It's incredibly unfinished and I'm in desperate need for feedback.

"

It’s been six years since the supposed “accident” and it’s still hard to get around losing so many patients a day. I don’t remember the last time I’ve slept without waking up screaming, and honestly, I’ve never hated Jim York more.


Most thought Jim was a genius, I even had a glimmer of respect and fascination of the man, but I know now that not a single person on this goddamn planet would ever forgive him. Jim York created the time machine, an incredible feat yet not very surprising considering the technology we had then. It was a beautiful machine and most doubted that it even worked, obviously that’s not the case anymore.

It was a beautiful Sunday morning in July and I remember exactly what I was doing. I had just woken up and felt relieved to know that my patient from the night before was recovering soundly. A small, fragile girl named Kim underwent open heart surgery and even with so many complications, I had never seen someone fight so hard to be alive. I had already set aside money to buy her flowers from time to time while she was still in the hospital.

I remember feeling content with my accomplishment as I begin to slowly go downstairs to feed the dog and tune in to the morning news -- the headline on the television instantly made me laugh. It had said, in big letters: JIM YORK THE FIRST TO CREATE A WORKING TIME MACHINE. I had muttered words like “marvelous” and “astounding” to myself as I poured my cereal, automatically knowing it was a hoax. I listened as I began to eat and sat down as they asked Jim to prove that it was a working machine. Jim York, being a well-known scientist for discoveries about time and travel, was a household name and because of that it was easy for me to envision his voice and facial expressions before he even began to speak,” It’s quite simple really,” he had told the news woman. ”Where would you liked to go?” he asked her politely. The woman laughed musically in obvious admiration for Jim and replied,” I would love to see a dinosaur.”

His smile was shown wide as it broadcast on the T.V. screen. When I think about it now, nothing fills me with more disgust or hatred then to envision Jim York happy. I took another bite of my cereal and mocked the reporter with incredible exaggeration, unembarrassed with my mouth full. My St. Bernard made a noise and as I looked toward him, he vanished. I stood up, terrified, and screamed. The table that I was sitting at vanished next, I stood back and looked around trying to understand what was happening to my things. Quickly, the room was gone. My house was gone. Everything was black and I could hear a ringing in my ears. I had worked on so many patients and seen so many things, but nothing could have prepared me for fear or anxiety like that.











I woke up to a blood curdling scream and quickly realized it was coming from my body, my throat and chest sore from the sheer terror of the sound they created. I was aching for water. The world was dark even after I opened my eyes, but from the way I was laying I could see that the sky was very faintly beginning to brighten and I figured it was the sun rising. I heard sounds which scared me, but nothing seemed close enough to be a threat. Unable to see, I felt at my body to make sure everything was intact. I had a headache and what seemed like a small welt on my head, but that was probably from falling down. It took me a few minutes to feel at my legs and regain the strength to lift my body up. By that time, the sun had begun making the sky a faint pinkish yellow which was incredibly comforting. I stood up slowly and began to make baby steps toward the light that shone from so far away, keeping my eyes on only that.

As I kept walking, I noticed a glinting a bit of a ways in front of me. Without realizing, my pace had sped up and my body knew before I did that the glinting was water. As soon as I got to the pond, I just about jumped in it. The water was so beautiful the way that the rising sun had glinted off of it, I had never been so thankful because it had felt that I hadn’t had water for days. I scooped some of that marvelous liquid into my hands and quickly brought it up to my face. It was drinkable water and I thanked whatever gods I could for that. After drinking so much that my belly hurt, I washed my face and finally took a look around. The sun was finally up and I couldn’t believe my eyes.

© 2014 Esperanza


Author's Note

Esperanza
Any feedback incredibly appreciated whether it be negative or positive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on January 19, 2014
Last Updated on January 19, 2014
Tags: story, help, dinosaurs, doctors, sci-fi, fantasy, my writing, beginning, prompt

Author

Esperanza
Esperanza

Los Lunas, NM



About
High school student who is a closet writer/artist. more..