A mouse named Jamie!

A mouse named Jamie!

A Story by vendorofvignettes

mouse named Jamie


Jamie mouse slept in his favorite place, curled up inside an old sneaker.

The sneaker belonged to Vince who lived in a big house at the end of a quiet street.

It was an old blue and white sneaker, and lay unused on the lowest shelf of Vince's cupboard.

Vince's mother often wondered why Vince never threw it out, since he never seemed to use it.  


But Vince knew that the sneaker was the favorite hideout of a little mouse.  He could never bring himself to throw it away.

Sometimes on warm, sunny mornings, Vince carried the sneaker to the porch behind the house. 

He placed it under a large hyacinth bush, and Jamie mouse enjoyed resting there. 

Overhead hung fragrant violet blossoms.  Vince often sat in a white easy chair reading a book while Jamie slept in the sneaker.

…..

Jamie had a little brother and sister.  They lived with their mother in a little mouse-hole by the kitchen sink.

Jamie's mother knew about Vince and the sneaker in the cupboard. 

She was happy that Jamie had a good friend and a nice place to rest.

But she felt that Jamie mouse did not spend enough time at home.  He did not read his books.  Or take his little brother and sister to the deli down the street.

The owner of the deli store threw out old bread, and sometimes even pieces of cheese.

The three little mice could feast in the backyard behind the deli. 

That would be a great help to Jamie's mother.  She could finish her work around the house.

…..

But Jamie mouse enjoyed his nap in Vince's sneaker.  So he did not worry about his little brother and sister.

One day, Jamie's mother told him to be careful.  It was not good to spend so much time lazing around. 

"You need to run around more, to stay fit and healthy," she said.  "Besides, sleeping out in the yard like that could be dangerous."

Jamie paid no heed to his mother's words.  He nibbled on the food Vince put out for him and slept under the sweet-smelling hyacinth bush.


One afternoon, Jamie curled up for a comfortable nap in the sneaker.   All of a sudden, he saw two large mean yellow eyes staring down at him.

It was the cat!

For an instant, Jamie's heart stopped beating.   He remembered his mother's words.  

In the next moment, he had jumped out of the sneaker, and was making a dash for the mouse-hole. 

The cat was right behind him.

Jamie managed to run into the mouse-hole, just as the cat's paw hit the floor behind him.  

He rushed into the shelter of his home,  his heart beating wildly.  He was alive!


 From then on, Jamie mouse spent more time at home.

He read his books.  He also took his little brother and sister out for a run. 

He still visited Vince, but from now on the sneaker stayed in the cupboard.

Vince had seen the cat in the porch and made sure that it never entered the house.

From now on, Jamie was safe. 

And he was a happy mouse.

© 2014 vendorofvignettes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good storytelling with a neat ending.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

vendorofvignettes

8 Years Ago

thanks, Terrence!
Terrence Chang

8 Years Ago

You are welcome
lovely story,jamie mouse .i love the story

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

vendorofvignettes

8 Years Ago

You know Adesanya (lovely name, by the way), you encourage me to write the next one in the Jamie mou.. read more
Adesanya Yewande

8 Years Ago

you sketch that yourself its just perfect for the story,its like a picture of what jamie mouse looks.. read more
Sanch

8 Years Ago

Lovely sketch for a lovely story! Looking forward to the sequel!
I like this story a lot. Good drama and story arc.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

vendorofvignettes

8 Years Ago

Thanks, so much Lupito! Maybe the next story in the series should be 'Jamie Mouse goes to School' .. read more
This is a nice little story. WHy don't you put something in to the effect that Jamie had kind of a hard time getting away from the cat, because he'd grown somewhat fat and out of shape from lying around all the time.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

vendorofvignettes

9 Years Ago

Thanks Marie, interesting thought!
vendorofvignettes

8 Years Ago

I am saddened to hear the news about Marie...she inspired many on writerscafe!
What a sweet little story! Loved reading it!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 3, 2014
Last Updated on August 4, 2014