I fell in love...

I fell in love...

A Poem by Joanna Johnson

I fell in love with a city.
Ask what love is �" 
Love is a feeling, like the thrill of a roller coaster ride as your stomach does somersaults,
The excitement of a birthday present in the driveway, with a sparkling interior and four-wheel drive
Like the delightful taste of rich hot chocolate on a bitter cold day, or soothing mint chip ice cream on hot summer nights.
The sensation of your first kiss with your new husband on your wedding day. 
Love can be all these things, but I fell in love with New York City. 
Caught up in its euphoria �" the ecstasy of a life unending, in the shape of endless crowds and continual motions of peoples. These things moved like life’s rhythm amid the towering skyscrapers. 
You hear the roar of the subway trains beneath your feet. You savor the aroma of hot dogs and knishes by the local food stand, while some homegrown band plays upbeat blues on America’s Avenue across Radio City Music Hall, their future destination. 
But you take it all in, just as I took it all in, 
Like the day I woke up, as a little kid, to a brand new bike on Christmas morning
The day I said goodbye to high school,
The day I found Christ
Excitement, exuberance, joy as we walked the streets of the city that never sleeps.
Cliché mottos with true meanings. 
I say, “I want to move here now.”
People say, “Living there and visiting are two different things.”
‘But I see myself there, twirling around in summer dresses on hot days,’
Sporting my Starbucks as I make my way to catch the J. 
Daily exercises in snow on cold days, hearty runs through a frosty Central Park, dogs nipping at my feet.
No more gas-guzzling cars, no more endless drives on freeways, no more Silicon Valley survival with promising jobs that fall through while IT companies go bust.
Just a mixture of culture, tongues of all ethnic peoples filling the street as you make ends meet.
Where diversity clashes friendly-like and you can do your own thing. 
Yes, I can see myself here, despite the bitter cold and soaring rent rates.
It’s easy when you fall
In love
And honeymoon phase this may be �" soon to wear off, and be replaced by bitter reality. 
But for now I can safely say.
I am in love with New York City.

© 2013 Joanna Johnson


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

222 Views
Added on November 1, 2013
Last Updated on November 1, 2013

Author

Joanna Johnson
Joanna Johnson

San Jose, CA



About
I am a story teller at heart, ever since I was a girl with braids and bad skin. I pursued journalism in college, wrote for newspapers, and ventured into various jobs, but my passion to write stories h.. more..

Writing