A Race to the Finish

A Race to the Finish

A Story by Essa G

    “Hallie.”

    “I beg your pardon, Ms. Linch?”

     “What is 13 squared?”

     “Thirteen squared is 169.”

      “How did you figure that out?”

      Halen gulped. She hadn’t thought of that.  She had only done the problem on a calculator the night before. She had cheated. Math was her worst subject. Although she was in Language Arts Challenge, she loathed arithmetic.

   “Are you having a bit of trouble, Halen?” Ms. Linch asked.

   “I’m afraid so, Ms. Linch. I don’t quite remember how I got my answers last night,” Halen lied. Of course she remembered, she just didn’t want everyone to know. If everyone found out, she would be so embarrassed.

  “Can you repeat that, Halen?” asked Ms. Linch, testing to see if Halen was paying attention. I wish she would pay attention in Math class more often, Ms. Linch thought. “Lilian, please repeat what you just said. Halen, listen. Then repeat what Lilian says.”

 Lilian pushed a curly lock of brown hair out of her face, and started applying lip gloss, obviously not listening.

  “Lilian.”

  “Oh, sorry Ms. Linch. I was just preparing.”

  “You don’t need to prepare, Lilian.”

 The other girls snickered. Lilian actually got in trouble! Being in both Language Arts and Math Challenge, Lilian was the smartest in the Math class.

  “13 squared is 169 because if you break 13 apart, 10x13=130 and 3x13=39. 130+39=169,” Lilian said flatly, obviously not wanting to say it again.

  “Thank you, Lilian. Halen, repeat that,” Ms. Linch ordered. Halen repeated what Lilian had said.


**************************************************


 Lilian and her “Girl gang” surrounded Halen after class. The gang snickered at Halen. Halen was under a ton of pressure.

  “Hey, like, where did all your books go?” Lilian blurted between shrieks of laughter.

   “They’re in my locker, Lilian.”

  “Why don’t you like, go get them?” Tasha, Lilian’s right-hand girl asked.

  “I’ll handle this, Tasha,” Lilian interrupted.

 “Whatever you say,” Tasha muttered loyally.

 “What a brat,” Halen thought.

  “What did you just say?” Lilian asked, leaning against a blue locker.

  “Nothing,” Halen murmured.

  “Nothing? I’ll show you nothing. Meet me at Shadow Park at six o’clock sharp on Friday night,” Lilian snapped.

 BRING!

 “There’s the bell. Meet me there or else,” Lilian said fiercely.


********************************************************


  “Lilian, can we do this somewhere else, like at Nimbus Park? Just for a change. You know,” Halen said.

 “No, why? Have you been practicing there just so you can lose to me?” Lilian smirked.

 “No, I haven’t. I just said for a little change, Lilian Mayell Solanautta!” Halen snapped.

 “YOU, YOU! NEVER USE MY FULL NAME!” Lilian raged.

 “Lilian’s gonna explode,” Tasha whispered. Halen shivered in the cold. Shadow Park was called Shadow Park for a reason. Sunlight never hit it. There was always a cloud over it. You could see your shadow, even without the light. Shadow was on a slant like on a hill. Except there was no hill to be seen.Shadow Park was known throughout the United Nations of Azalea. Why would people come all the way here just to see this? Shadow City was incredible, though. You’ve gotta admit that. It was even better than NYC.

 The race began. Lilian dashed around the swings and slide. Lilian knew she would win. She stopped and look behind her. No one was there. Halen was ahead of her on the other side of the course! Lilian ran as fast as she could. She was right behind Halen. As the two of them came around the bars, Lilian slipped in the new mud made by the rain. The crowd gasped. Halen turned around and helped her up. Together, they crossed the finish line.

  “Thanks,” Lilian said.

  “ No problem,” Halen replied.


********************************************************


  Halen exclaimed, “Great party Lilian!”

  “Thanks. I organized it myself.”

  “I’m going to check out that stranger. Be right back,” Lilian told Halen.

  “I’ll come with you. I have to get a drink anyway.”

  “Gotcha.”


********************************************************


  Jenla entered the mansion and flopped down on the leather couch in her room.

  “Hey, Lakora, can you get me a coke?” Jenla asked her personal maid.

  “Sure, Miss Jenla.”

  “Thanks.” Delina, Jenla’s best friend sat down in front of her.

  “Chess?” she asked.

  “Sure,” Jenla replied. Just then, Clara, Jenla’s older sister, came in with her gang.

  “That can’t be Delina. She’s too pretty. Not as pretty as you and me, but she’s almost as pretty as us,” Clara said.

  “I’m Delina,” said Delina.

  “Whatever. Come on girls. Let’s ask Florren to get us some Pepsis.” Clara motioned to the kitchen, which could easily fit all ten girls.

  “Jenla and Delina, I’m taking Clara and her friends to their lacrosse game. I’m staying to watch the game, so stay here. Don’t go anywhere. Lakora and Florren will be here,” Jenla’s mom, Ms. Evesstess, yelled up to them.

  “We know, Mom!” Jenla yelled back.


****************************************************


  The next day, Jenla and Delina went to soccer practice, where Coach Glenda was waiting.

  “You’re late,” she snapped.

  “No, we’re not. It’s 5:32. Practice starts at 5:35,” Jenla said.

  “You’re late because the rest of the team is here already,” Glenda answered impatiently.

  “Whatever. I’m here. What are we doing? Relay races! Yes!” Delina exclaimed.

  “Dang,”Jenla grumbled. Even though Jenla was the fastest on the team, she still hated relay race warm-ups. “Oh well.”

  “Stop. Line up for shooting and goalie practice,” Coach Glenda ordered.

  “Yes Coach Glenda,” the team chorused. Everyone was nice because they were afraid of Glenda. Glenda was the meanest coach in the district. She also had a criminal record from high school, so you didn’t want to mess with her.


*********************************************************


  “This is my best party ever!” Jenla announced.

  “Yeah,” Delina agreed.

  “Who’s that freak with the top hat and the mask? He wasn’t invited. Clara and her friends are fine, but not him. I’m going to check him out. Be right back,” Jenla told Delina.

  “Okay.” Delina said. “Careful.”

  “Yeah yeah.”


************************************************


 “Jenla Kelliden Evesstess!” Delina shouted. “Where are you! This isn’t the time to be playing Hide ‘n Seek!” Just then, Delina realized she hadn’t seen Jenla since she went off to find out who the freak was. The stranger was nowhere in sight.


  “Hello? Is anyone there?” Jenla asked.

  “Yeah. My name’s Halen Mercussle.”

  “The name’s Lilian Solanautta. Delina Emberson is my cousin. If you know her, that is.”

  “Alicha Pellerae is my cousin,” Halen said. “Who’re you?”

  “I’m Jenla. I live here. I was also the one that threw this party. Did he take you too?”

  “Yeah. We’ve been on two planes already. I overheard him saying he’s going after us rich kids UNA. We can’t get out of here, by the way. He set up and invisible forcefield only he can turn on and off,” Lilian explained.

 “Lilian, did he take you from a party you were throwing? And you, Halen?”

 “Unfortunately, yes. We were going to check him out, and he put something on our faces. Next thing I know, I’m here,” Halen said. “We were actually at the same party.” 

  “Same thing happened to me, “Jenla whimpered.

  “How do you think we’ll get back?” Jenla asked.

  “No idea. Now we’ll never get back to Shadow City!” Halen wailed.

  “Wait a second. You two live in Shadow City?” asked Jenla, unbelieving her ears.

  “Yeah. It was the best place ever. Better than NYC,” replied Lilian.

  “Lucky! Mom made us move to Sunavae City. Shadow would have been much better. I tried to convince her, but she wouldn’t listen,” Jenla complained. “Well, I would never have met Delina and Alicha. Shh. I think I hear talking.”

  “Pack ‘em up. We got another one.”

  “Oh no! I hope it isn’t... Delina!” cried Jenla.

  “Hello?” Delina looked around. “Why’s it dark in hear? Hey Jenla. OMG, Lilian, is that you?”

  “Yeah, it’s me. We’ll tell you the story later,” Lilian whispered. “First I wanna hear what they’re saying. Shh.”

  “We got four. Two from Shadow and two from Sunavae. That’ll give us four million bucks already. Let’s go to Lunmar next.”

  After Delina had heard the story from Lilian, met Halen and found out how she had been kidnapped, she fainted.

  “Delina faints a lot,” Jenla explained.

  “I know,” Lilian whispered. “She fainted when she got a MacBookPro for Christmas at the family Christmas party.”


A while later...


“Jenla! I’m borrowing your mascara!” Clara called. “Hey, that’s weird. Jenla never makes her bed. Lakora! Jenla’s bed is already made so you don’t have to do it!”



*****************************



“You’re coming with me,” she said. Jenla and Hallie watched as she dragged their friends, Delina and Lilian, in ropes into the black van. They weren’t worried, though, because they all knew about their plan. When Hallie and Jenla stepped into the car, she stepped on the gas peddle, expecting the car to go forward. It didn’t move. Jenla and the other girls giggled just quietly enough so she couldn’t hear them above all her curses.

“Why won’t this stupid thing work?” she asked. “Did you fill the tank with gas like I asked you to?” she asked Hallie.

“I did, but you used it when you went to turn us in last time,” Hallie replied.

“Oh. Untie Emberson and tell her to fill it up again. NOW!” she ordered.

Jenla scrambled to the back of the van and did as she was told.

“Go and fill the tank with the weed killer. It’s in the garage in the left corner. Hurry up or she’ll get really mad!” Jenla told Delina. Delina opened the door and did what Jenla told her to do. After, she got back into the car and joined Lilian.

“I’m waiting!” she said impatiently. Jenla and Hallie climbed into the middle seat back where they had been before.

“Finally. Let’s go and turn you guys in,” she said. With that, she stepped on the gas pedal again only to find that the car wouldn’t run.

“My God, no one get’s anything right these days! Get Solanautta and tell her to check the gas tank. If it’s not full, fill it!” Hallie and Jenla clambered to the girls. A couple minutes later, Lilian emerged out of the car. She went around the van to the gas tank, noticed it was full, and went to tell Jenla and Hallie. Hallie and Jenla climbed into the middle seats again and told The Miss the news. (The Miss is the kidnapper/Black Arachnid)

“All right then, I will check it myself,” she said angrily. Jenla warned the other girls and they all crouched down.

“Looks like we won’t be going today.” With that, she turned and left the teenagers locked in the black van.

“Time to plan. She told me that she was going to attempt to turn us in as an innocent woman that was just walking her cat. She wants to leave in two days at twelve o’clock sharp. Ideas? Anyone?” Hallie asked. Delina spoke up.

“Well, since I am now her temporary personal chef, I could make a fruit salad that contains cantaloupe with salmonella.”

“Great. Do that tomorrow so she won’t be able to travel the next day. The trip is four hours, you know,” Lilian said.

“Next van trip, ruined. Let’s go inside. I’m freezing in here,” Delina suggested.

“Okay, but Delina, you have to remember to make that fruit salad!” Lilian said. The four of them jumped out of the car and went inside the Miss’s mansion. 


***********************************


“Delina?” Halllie asked.

“Yeah, Hallie?” Delina answered.

“Don’t forget to make the fruit salad,” Hallie whispered. “I know where diseased cantaloupe is.”

“Where?”

“In her fruit basket. I tested it with Jenla’s new solution and it worked. Lilian is living proof. The juice I got from the cantaloupe was tested and the juice fizzed up when it made physical contact with her potion,” Hallie replied.

“Thanks,” Delina said.

“Welcome. No problem,” Hallie told her. Lilian turned off the light just in time. The Miss opened the door to make her daily check she had been making for the past two and a half months.

“Night y’all. Emberson, be ready to make me French toast tomorrow morning. As for the rest of y’all, be ready to spray paint my car with temporary spray paint. The cans will be out in the garage next to the weed killer,” The Miss ordered. She went out of the room, swaying back and forth. She was a drug taker, and had been for the last two years.

“Maybe you won’t need to give her the salmonella as she is already drunk,” Jenla said. The girls rolled over in their “makeshift sleeping bags” and fell asleep.


*********************************


    “All right, salmonella, you’d better work,” Delina whispered to the cantaloupe as she tossed it into the salad. “I wonder if we really need this. Jenla may be right.

  “Emberson, where’s my fruit salad you promised me? I want it now!” the Miss screamed.

   “Coming, Miss. I’m just putting it in the cocktail glass,” Delina shouted from the kitchen.

      “All right, but make it quick,” the Miss said.

      “Poisonous Black Arachnid, here we come. Instead, freedom here we come!” Delina exclaimed.

     “What’s that you said?” the Miss asked.

     “Nothing, Miss.”

     “That was close,” Delina whispered as she put the glass of fruit salad on a white tray and gave it to the Miss.

      “Go get me a fork. Make sure it’s silver,” the Miss ordered.

   “Yes, Miss,” Delina replied. Delina did as she was asked and then went into the bedroom that she shared with Jenla, Lilian and Hallie.

     “Did it work?” Hallie asked.

   “I don’t know. She dismissed me from her presence before I got to see,” Delina answered, disappointed.

      “Oh,” Lilian said.

      “Delina, this cantaloupe tastes delicious. What’d you put in it?” the Miss asked.

      “Love, Miss,” Delina answered.

   “Oh, you’re so sweet. Now, GO GET MY LAPTOP LIKE I ASKED YOU TO!” she exclaimed.

      “Sorry, Miss,” Delina yelled.

      “I’ll get it,” Jenla offered.

      “Thanks. When you get back, we can discuss how to ruin her next plan, if you come back with more information,” Lilian said to her before she walked out of the door.

      “Kay,” Jenla replied. She walked out the door.

*****************************



      “When I asked her, she said we were leaving in three days cause she wasn’t feeling well,” Jenla informed the others.

    “Okay. Anyone have ideas on how we’re gonna stop her this time? I’ve run out of them,” Delina announced. The girls though for a couple minutes. Finally, Hallie spoke up.

     “We could put on a movie right before we leave so she won’t go. You know that once she starts a movie, she watches more after it. We could delay her that way.”

       “Good. Let’s do that. Who wants to do it?” Lilian asked.

     “Well, I don’t mean to brag, but I think she likes me best. I could do it without her putting a knife at my throat for delaying her,” Delina said.

       “Okay. We’ll do that then,” Hallie said.

       “Don’t forget,” Jenla told Delina.

      “Don’t worry. You know me better than that. I don’t forget things. Hey, where’s my - Oh, there it is. Never mind.”

       “Yeah, like you never forget things,” Lilian teased.

       “Oh, shut up.” Delina smiled.


*****************************


       “Okay. Delina, don’t forget to put the movie on. Everyone else, just act normal when she does it. Or try to convince her,” Hallie said.

      “We know. Night,” Jenla muttered.

      “Night,” Lilian whispered.

      “Night,” Delina said.


***************************


      “Don’t you want to take a break, Miss? Why not your favorite movie, ‘Pride and Prejudice?” Delina suggested.

          “Yeah. You are a very hard worker, Miss,” Lilian cajoled.

          “Well, if yo insist. I guess I could...” instantly, the Miss put her fist against Lilian’s throat. “You’re just trying to delay me, aren’t you?”

    “N-N-N-No, Miss. I w-w-w-would never d-d-d-do such a th-th-th-thing,” Lilian stuttered.

        “You leave her alone!” Delina cried. With that, she punched the Black Arachnid twice in a row. The Miss fell down, and lay still.

           “I never knew you could do that,” Jenla exclaimed.

          “I didn’t either,” Delina confessed.

      “I wish I could disappear right now,” Hallie muttered. Instantly, Hallie turned invisible.

          “Wasn’t Hallie here just a second ago?” Lilian asked?

          “I’m here guys! I have an invisibility power! I just discovered it! It’s awesome!” Hallie cried.

         “I wish I could kill anything I wanted to kill with my own eyes,” Jenla said. She stared at a plant. It withered and died.

            “I just killed that plant! I can kill anything I want with my eyes, just like I wished!” Jenla exclaimed.

          “I wish I could break anything I wanted,” Lilian wished. She walked over to the refrigerator and took an egg out of it. With one squeeze, it was on the floor in an egg puddle.

              “I just broke and egg with a pinch! Just like I wished-wait a second. We all got what we wished for. I know this sounds crazy, but maybe we’re goddesses or something.

               “It all makes sense to me,” Hallie said. The Miss rose. The girls jumped back in surprise.

               “You all are goddesses. The only four goddesses to be born in the twenty-first century. That is why I took you. You each have powers of you own. Lilian, your power is to break anything you want. Jenla, your power is to kill what you want to be killed when it looks into your eyes. Hallie, yours is to turn invisible. Delina, yours is to have incredibly strong powers when and wherever you want.”

                “How do you know this, exactly?” Delina asked.

                “I was one of the four goddesses to be born in the twentieth century. You see, four gods and goddesses are born every century. I only took you because I wanted to train you with your powers. The Goddess of the First Century sent me. All the girls I have kidnapped are also goddesses. I am the messenger. I have also kidnapped all the gods. All of you happen to be from wealthy families,” the Miss explained.

                 “So we’re immortal? Cool! When do we go back to our homes?” Delina asked.

                 “Yeah,” Jenla agreed.

                 “Tomorrow. I will turn you in at the police station in town and take the money. This building is the sacred meeting place for all the gods and goddesses. You will be called every century here. You will be called in a dream. If anyone asks you about me when you get back, you mustn’t tell them that I am female or about anything I just said. Understand?”

                 “Yes,” Lilian said.

                “Good. By the way, do you know who I am?”

                 “No,” the girls said in unison.

             “I am Minerva, the goddess of weaving. At school you have probably read about me and Arachne. That is true. That is why I am called the Black Arachnid. Anyway, get in the car. We’re going to the police station.”

                 “Okay,” Hallie said.


***************************


“Good afternoon, Officer Havana. I was walking down the street and found these girls sitting near the café. I think they’re the girls I saw on television. The ones that were missing from two and a half months ago, I think. Aren’t they from Shadow and Sunavae?” Minerva asked.

           “Why, I do believe so, Min. The fourth one is behind Miss Solanautta?

           “Yes, Officer Havana.”

   “Well, then, come along with me. Your parents will be delighted to see you. I have to call them, first, of course,” Officer Havana said to them.

    “You girls are safe in Officer Havana’s hands. Bye now!” Minerva said.

     “Thank you!” The girls called in unison.

      “All right. Let’s make that phone call, shall we? I’m currently not at the police station, but I can still contact them,” Officer Havana said.


*********************************


      “Solanautta Residence. How may I help you?” Mrs. Solanautta asked, speaking into the phone.

      “Hello, this is Officer Havana Hill. I have found Lilian, you daughter. I am here in the town of Luna. You may come down as soon as possible if you like. The address is:

 4986 Hamden Drive

 Luna, Lantrix 85302.”

       “Thank you so much! I will be there as soon as I can.” Next, Officer Havana called Jenla’s mother.

         “Hello, this is Officer Havana Hill. I have found Lilian, you daughter. I am here in the town of Luna. You may come down as soon as possible if you like. The address is:

 4986 Hamden Drive

 Luna, Lantrix 85302.”

           “Thank the Lord. I haven’t seen Jen since two and a half months ago. I’ll be there in about a half hour.” After, Officer Havana called Delina’s mother.

          “Hello, this is Officer Havana Hill. I have found Lilian, you daughter. I am here in the town of Luna. You may come down as soon as possible if you like. The address is:

 4986 Hamden Drive

 Luna, Lantrix 85302.”

            “Thank you! I can’t thank you enough! I’ll be there in about an hour.” Lastly, the officer called Hallie’s mom.

           “Hello, this is Officer Havana Hill. I have found Lilian, you daughter. I am here in the town of Luna. You may come down as soon as possible if you like. The address is:

 4986 Hamden Drive

 Luna, Lantrix 85302.”

          “Really? Is it really Hallie! Oh, that poor girl! I’ll be there at around seven o’clock.”

          “Well, you guys will have to wait, but good things come to those who wait, right?” After all the girls had gone home, fallen asleep and waken up again, they called each other up.

           “Hey guys. I had a strange dream last night,” Delina said.

© 2013 Essa G


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on October 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 2, 2013

Author

Essa G
Essa G

Fairfield, CT



About
I love to sing and baking, but singing the most. Writing is more of a hobby for me. I've written a novel called 'Silver' and I'm in the process of writing the sequel, which is called Prophetess. I hop.. more..

Writing
Your Voice Your Voice

A Poem by Essa G