Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
I AM AN INDIAN ARMY FAN

I AM AN INDIAN ARMY FAN

A Story by Shahana
"

This is an article of awareness and gratitude written post my interaction with officers and soldiers of The Indian Army. This is a factual piece, written from the heart.

"

My recently concluded trip to Jammu & Kashmir (Leh - Ladakh, Srinagar, Gulmarg and Uri) was one of happiness, liberation and realization.  First, it met our wish of a much needed family break, secondly, I feel  like I may have  attained nirvana, and thirdly my respect for the Armed Forces has multiplied manifold.

Visiting Leh - Ladakh has been a dream. Its unusual scenic beauty made up of rugged mountains,  sparkling  blue waters, and refreshing  greenery (specific to the Nubra Valley) makes it an attractive destination. Not to mention, its beautiful monasteries, the Khardungla Pass - the world’s highest motorable road, and the Siachen Glacier - the world’s highest battleground.

Our Army coursemates serving there, were able to make the best accommodation and travel arrangements for us.  Needless to say, the holiday homes and guest houses were very well appointed and  impeccably maintained. The natural beauty and local attractions at each place, added to our delight and meeting up with ex NDA coursemates, was the icing on top of the cake! Everything was perfect.

However, it was the warmth and generosity exuded by the Army jawans, that made our holidays so memorable. Interacting with the men made me realize, how much we need to learn and adapt from them.They have to face danger, endure hardships, conquer homesickness, and yet smile though it all. Their indomitable spirit inspired me.

There is not a day that goes by, that I don’t think about  Prashant, Imtiaz, Naga, Ashwini and thousands of the other jawans, who are posted  in forward areas, and live a puritanical life " literally. I am sure they long to be surrounded by their families, eat a home cooked meal, be around to witness the birth of their children, or death of a loved one.

Who better than a soldier knows, and sometimes experiences, the fragility of life. Irrespective, “ Service Before Self” is the motto exercised by these selfless men.  The bare truth is that  - we are indebted to  them for the blanket of safety and freedom they provide us, at the peril of their own lives. I now not only respect, but revere every soldier of the Indian Army. You should too.

By Shahana Sen 

© 2016 Shahana


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on May 11, 2016
Last Updated on May 11, 2016

Author

Shahana
Shahana

India



About
I am a naval wife, a mother and a corporate professional, rolled into one. Multitasking is my middle name. My hobbies include reading, travel, cooking, music and occasionally writing. My motto in life.. more..