Something Doesn't Seem...Right

Something Doesn't Seem...Right

A Screenplay by Jenna Toff
"

A murder case...but then!

"

Back Streets At Night

 

Light dims and views in on two girls walking together both dressed alike. Middle of the night a few buildings around. Streets are extremely dimly lit.

 

Girl #1(happily): That was so much fun!

 

Girl #2(sleepily): Now that that’s over I want to sleep so badly.

 Both girls yawn

Different girl runs up to them panting slightly.

 

Girl #3 (slightly out of breath, taking deep breaths after every few words): You two…You just missed…H-h-h-he

 

Girl #3’s eyes get wide and she points behind the two other girls and she’s shaking

 

Girls # 1&2 turn around and scream.

 

Lights go out then appear on a guy with a sash in his hands. The sash is dripping blood. He’s smirking manically. He laughs and the lights go.

 

Next Morning

 

Lights fill the stage to show the three girls lying on the ground, blood covering them. A man passes by, a dark crimson scarf on, Shaking his head slowly as he sees the three girls.

 

In the Office of Detective “C”

 

There is a desk with papers all over in one corner of the room; A bulletin board behind the desk with a few newspaper clippings on it. A hat stand is near the door with coats and hats on it, all black .There is also two chairs in front of the desk.

A lady is sitting behind the desk. She is shuffling through papers. Her hair is disheveled and she is sleepy, in other words this is Detective “C.” Across from her in one of the seats sits a man, her partner, Detective Rouen.

 

Detective Rouen (seriously): Do we have any lead yet? Any at all?

 

Detective “C” (goofily): Sorry sergeant just because all the victims were girls and they all were killed at night doesn’t give us any help.

 

Detective Rouen (sarcastically): maybe we should leave you out at night and see if they try killing you.

Detective “C” starts to cry and Detective Rouen pats her back as he says he was joking

Phone rings

 

Detective “C” (professionally): Hello Private eye Detective “C” here. How can I be of service to you today?

 

Person on Phone (scared): I just saw three dead bodies in the street in front of my house.

 

Detective “C” (understanding): alright, make sure the bodies stay there, we’ll be over soon. Stay in your house until we tell you it’s safe to leave.

 

They both hung up. Detective “C” turns to her partner and nods. They both get up and go out the door.

 

 Back Streets During the Day

 

Same as back streets during the night but light fills the stage

 

Narrator 1: Detective “C” and Rouen have been getting many calls lately. All the cases have been similar, the bodies of young girls left on the ground, Blood all over them that was found to be coming from their necks which got holes in them all over, Signs of struggling evident on the girls’ bodies, as well as marks from something being tight around their necks. This time though when they went to the site, one of the girls were alive. They were saying something about someone named Tyson, who supposedly had drowned a girl in blood at a party the last night and when they got up to some of their friends to tell of the scene he had followed and attempted to murder all three of them. From not knowing what to do they had gone to the site of where the party was held as the girls were put in an ambulance and driven away to see if the other two were alive and to recover the third back to health.

 

Walking to the party site are both detectives. Both in deep thought.

 

Detective “C” (deep in thought): That was strange. The murderer always killed them and made sure they were dead, but why was that one still alive…

 

Detective Rouen (scared): It must be a trap!

 

They both stop at a club.

 

CLUB

 

 Blue lights all over lighting the interior. Tables all over inside once entered, a bar in the corner, a dance floor with a stage at the end in the other direction. Much noise is in the building. They go in and there are people everywhere getting drunk and passing out, as well as making out. Some people are dancing. The two go through the dance floor and up to the stage. There they find the Disc Jockey.

 

DJ (party mode): what can I interest you in?

 

Spins a disc on finger

 

Detective “C” (seriously): Do you know where a Tyson is who was here last night?

 

DJ (crazily): Slow down Sheila. Even if I do know such a person, why should I be telling you?

 

Detective “C” (Deathly tone): He may be killing dozens; if we get him caught then maybe there won’t be so many deaths around town. And if you don’t tell me I will kill you.

 

Narrator 2: The Disc Jockey complies and gives them the information they want. Apparently Tyson came there often. He always went around with a scarf. It was always a white scarf. Lately though it had become red and been getting darker every time they see him next. He works in an office near by and lives by himself. He had been treated horribly by his mother and sisters growing up. Both detectives decide to visit this Tyson at work and possibly find information on him. But since he seemed to have something against females, Detective Rouen would have to talk with him alone.

 

Tyson’s Office

 

An organized desk and a lamp in the corner with two chairs in front of the desk. Pictures of male models on the walls. A name tag on a man in the seat behind the desk. His head down, writing.

 

A knock comes on the door.

 

Tyson (steady): Come in.

 

Detective Rouen comes in and takes a seat after being motioned to.

 

Tyson (Fake esthetically): How can I help you today?

 

Detective Rouen (business like): There are a few questions I need to be answered…

 

Narrator 1: As they were talking Detective “C” heard something going on in a different room. Apparently the entire organization was up to something. She called in reinforcements and soon the building was being evacuated and all employees were brought to headquarters. They were going to be questioned to find out what was happening.

 

Headquarters

 

Soft seats around a low-rise table. Some bean-bag chairs around. A large calendar on one wall. A desk against a perpendicular wall with numerous folders.

 

Detective “C” And Rouen take seats and a general comes over and congratulates them.

 

Tyson is soon brought into the room and was crying.

 

Tyson (sad): I didn’t mean for it to happen. I didn’t want her to die!

 

Detective “C” (Worried): what’s wrong?

 

Tyson (sad): She died, I tried my best and now she’s dead. Samantha died!

 

The general turns on the bulletins and it just showed that the girl who survived had died.

 

Tyson was breaking out in tears. The other employees were brought and were all crying. One of the brain surgeons came in.

 

Brain surgeon (concerned): They were all brainwashed. There was a poison in the office building that had possessed them to do the crazy things. At least you found out what happened before it got too out of hand.

 

They bow and exit. The employees are told that they have all been fired and that the office had been rundown and had to get new jobs. They are all taken home.

 

Detective “C” (questionably): Something seems like that was too easy.

 

Detective Rouen (jokingly): Don’t you ever think that maybe, that’s just it. You think every job is too easy.

 

He rolls his eyes.

 

Narrator 2: So it seems as though the case is done, for that moment in time. A few months passed since then…

 

Outside the Office Building of Detective “C” (Night))

A large office building, a list of different businesses on the door, with the number of the room which business was located in. A car passes by every now and then, the streetlights are shining brightly as there are a few people laughing.

 

A man is looking at the door, tracing his finger over the sign of an eye, smirking.

 

Man (laughing): It seems as though I’ve found your location.

 

The man opens the door, and walks down the hall, soon knocking on a door. Sighing a bit as no one answers, before running away from the building.

 

In The Office of Detective “C”

 

Both Detective “C” and Detective Rouen are playing a game of pick-up sticks, while waiting around for a call.

 

Narrator: It has become more quiet around the office recently. Without so many people dying all over the place, and only getting a few calls about missing animals.  The police were taking care of everything that they wanted to deal with, and were unable to figure out how to spend their time.

 

Detective “C” (Sighing, looking to the phone): Can something please happen soon? I don’t care how big, I just want something to happen.

 

Detective Rouen (Irritated): Do you remember what happened the last time you wanted anything to happen?

 

Detective “C” looks over to the other Detective, scrunching up her face a bit trying to recall when that last happened, seeing it was so long ago.

 

Detective Rouen (Sighing): The brainwashed people all killing not for any good reason, all those girls murdered so cruelly at night. Don’t tell me you forgot.

 

Detective “C” (In remembrance): It was so strange seeing that man crying from that one girl dying. I still don’t think that case has been closed. We just don’t have any more leads for the moment.

 

Detective Rouen laughs a bit, and then fails at picking up a stick, and curses loudly.

 

The door creeks open, a man in his mid thirties enters.

 

Man (While looking around): I hope I’m not being intrusive. Looking at the two playing pick-up sticks, raising eyebrow.

 

Detective Rouen (Embarrassed): Not at all, in fact we were just done. Quickly pushes all sticks into a bag, and takes a seat in Detective “C”’s desk What seems to be the problem?

 

Man (Confused): I’ve been looking for my sister, I thought I might be able to find her here, but it seems I’m lost.

 

Detective “C” (Excited): We’ll help you find her!

 

Man: It might be a bit difficult, you see, she’s a detective herself. I’m sorry to bother you, Detective “C”. Bows head to Detective Rouen. Leaves room.

 

A slight glimmer is shown, from the man’s back pocket.

 

Both Detectives look at the other, and then rush after the man, putting up a sign that they’re out.

 

Outside of the Office Building of Detective “C”

 

Both Detectives are looking around for the man who just came out of their office, rushing around to find him

 

Narrator 1:  Many questions rushed through their heads as they ran around, trying to find the man who they just let out of their room. Why did he have a knife? Was he planning on killing this person he claims as his sister? Why did he come into their office? Detective Rouen was also wondering why something exciting always happens after Detective “C” says aloud that she wants something interesting to happen.

 

Detective “C” (Exasperated): Please wait!

 

Man stops and looks over to her

 

Man (Annoyed): You’ve already wasted enough of my time, can’t you see I have something important to do?

 

Detective Rouen rushes over

 

Detective “C” (Aggravated): We’re detectives, if you’re looking for a detective, we’ll probably be able to find them a lot easier than you.

 

Detective Rouen (Panting): We just want to be of some help, if we can.

 

Man (Fed up): I guess this leaves me with no choice…

 

They go back into the building.

 

In The Office of Detective “C”

Detective Rouen takes Detective “C”’s seat again, as she takes his, so that the man doesn’t become suspicious, as the man takes a seat across from Detective Rouen.

 

Man (Nervous): My sister is Camellia Courtney Cleavers, our parents split up while we were young, and father kept me while mother kept her. We used to send notes back and forth, and she told me she became a detective, and after that she wasn’t able to send any more notes to me, seeing as it would cause problems if someone were to go after her. She had been in this area, so I hoped she would still be here. I thought that she might be you, Detective “C” I’ve been looking for her for a while, but nothing seems to be taking her out of hiding towards me. Places picture onto desk. That was her while we were living together, with our parents. We were all so happy then, hopefully she isn’t dead yet. He laughs, before exiting, laughing still.

 

Detective Rouen (Disturbed): Do you know that man?

 

Detective “C” (Scared): I don’t know him, and my brother had died in a fire with mother when he was seven.

 

Narrator 2: An uneasy silence passed between them, who was this man? How did he know Detective “C”’s Real identity? Why was he out to kill her? Maybe he also became brainwashed, like with their last case? But why was he not in such a strange state as they saw before?

 

Detective “C” (Serious): Lets go back to a familiar place. Smirks.

 

Both exit.

 

Lights fade to black, sounds of cars running is heard, eventually coming to a stop, and dim lights come on.

 

Cottage (Night)

An old cottage in the middle of a run down area. The wood is starting to rot slightly, there is no light around.

 

Detectives both turn on flashlights, shining the light around as they come out of a car.

 

Detective Rouen (Scared): Are you sure this is the right place? There was another cottage just like this one a few miles down the road.

 

Detective “C”(Sincere): I’m sure of it, don’t worry, there shouldn’t be anyone else here. Pushes on the door, and it creeks open.

 

Detective Rouen(Uncertain): That’s what I’m worried about.

 

Both of them enter, and then the flashlights flicker, and don’t come back on, and the door slams closed.

 

Banging is resounded against the door, and somewhere in the building a light turns on.

 

The door breaks open, and both detectives rush to the car and drive away, as an elder man rushes out of the cottage, crying out about ‘stupid kids’

 

In The Car

Gray material covered seats, Detective “C” in the driver’s seat, Detective Rouen in the passanger’s seat, some pictures are scattered on the back seat, an open brief case turned over, a blanket resting over the seat.

 

Detective Rouen(panting): Who could that have been? Why did the door shut on us? Why aren’t you worried?”

 

Detective “C”(Saddened): That man would be my father, and the door was always pretty stubborn about closing, so I don’t see a problem with it. I’m just bothered that it smelt just like that building that had that gas in it. Why would it smell like that?

 

Detective Rouen(sympathetic): We should get some people to look into it, it might just not be good enough for you to go back there. You don’t know what’s going on. And there are probably more looking for you.

 

A slight tap is heard, and some dark creature appears on the back in the window, grabbing onto the window, a screech as its claws dig into the glass, some blood being left behind.

 

Detective Rouen looks back, and quickly looks back out the front and over to Detective “C” who doesn’t seem to realize what’s going on, too depressed from getting a case and being unable to do much of anything.

 

Detective Rouen(hastily): Step on the gas!

 

Detective “C” (Lecturing): You know you’re not supposed to speed, even if the road is deserted, what if someone was to suddenly get on in front of you? You have nothing to do but get into a head on collision.

 

Detective Rouen sighs a bit, hitting his head, looking back to the creature trying to claw its way in, and leans over to Detective “C” and switches the car to third gear, before pushing Detective “C”’s leg to push harder on the gas, and looked back to the creature, sliding off the glass, and heard a cry as it fell to the ground. As soon as he let go, Detective “C” changed back to drive and slapped Detective Rouen, who was only smiling a bit, relieved.

 

No more conversation occurred through the rest of the drive.

 

Narrator: After getting back to the office, they contacted headquarters about what happened, and they infiltrated the building, finding out that Detective “C”’s father was the one making the gas, brainwashing people. All in the intention of getting her to die. They tracked down who was brainwashed and stopped it before it got too far. And both Detective “C” and Detective Rouen were back to doing simple tasks once more.

 

In the Office of Detective “C”

 

Detective Rouen(Inquisitive): It’s been bugging me for a while, but why would your father want you dead?

 

Detective “C”( Easily): He’s always been blaming me as the reason why mother died, and said I was the one who was supposed to die instead of her. Shrugs. You know, I still think that was fun, I really want something-

 

Detective Rouen covers her mouth.

 

Detective Rouen (Laughing): Please, don’t continue that thought, I would rather you not be in too much danger again.

© 2012 Jenna Toff


Author's Note

Jenna Toff
I haven't written scripts that often, if you have any suggestions for my next one, please let me know how I can improve.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

165 Views
Added on May 30, 2012
Last Updated on May 30, 2012
Tags: Detective, mystery, death

Author

Jenna Toff
Jenna Toff

NJ



About
I'm Jenna, Currently 20 and going to school to become a Health Inspector or a Culinoligist (Food Scientist) I've been writing when I get the chance and when inspiration dawns upon me for almost ten ye.. more..

Writing