In Control

In Control

A Story by Raging Flames
"

An Asimov fan fiction based on the Three Laws of Robotics. Gripping and mysterious tale of humans and humanoid robots.

"

The Three Laws of Robotics:

 

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm

 

2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

 3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.


R. Olivaw's taut face stretched into a smile as he guided the new robots to the Habitation zone.

"Now students", he said jollily in a voice that was shockingly humane, "I'm going to present to you - the humans"

Twelve pairs of electronic eyes focused on the spot he was indicating.

"I don't know, James", said Rod, lighting a cigarette. "Life seems to be pretty boring nowadays"

Outside, the sun shone bleakly through the gray clouds. James was pacing the room in a restless manner.

"That's it, isn't it?" he said coming to a sudden halt. "That's what I'm saying! Nothing seems real anymore. It's…it's too", his brow furrowed, searching for the right word, "Robotic."

"You have all been manufactured with the Three Laws of Robotics built in", said Dr. Olivaw, his humanoid hand waving carelessly at the newly-functional robots with easy fluidity. "Call it a habit we learnt from the humans or the aftereffect of the human safety paranoia that we ourselves had been built with. Anyway the fact remains that none of you, whether manufactured by human minds or by robot technology, can do them", he pointed again at the glass dome, "any harm."

"I've been getting this feeling since some time too." Rod confessed, "Since all the 'thinking' robots were made illegal and destroyed. Maybe I miss them. Maybe I miss having something electronic other than vacuum cleaners and car motors. Or maybe it's because life is being too easy on me lately."

"Twelve years ago", Olivaw started, repeating the story he'd already told thousands of times to thousands of new robots manufactured by the Robotic Manufacture Corporation, "Twelve years ago, when humans still populated the earth, a terrorist group of scientists made hundreds of robots, that were not programmed with the Three Laws."

The robots were intended for war. It had been a covert operation going on for a decade, an experiment to create stable robots that could kill and destroy, without short-circuiting themselves. Actually the Three Laws were present even in them but were significantly modified. For these robots the word 'human' applied only to the organization that manufactured them. Only the organization had to be obeyed, protected, for only they were humans. Every other living being on earth could be disposed of, without the slightest hesitation.

And that was what the robots did. The robots that were meant to destroy a particular nation ended up killing the whole world. They were experimental, untested; and the need to dispose of any being weaker than them, or one that could not order them was too great to overcome.

All died, except for the fifty people that the robots couldn't harm. The fifty people that the robots had to obey, because only they were humans.

"Those fifty humans, RC models, are what you behold inside this dome."

The robots' creators wanted the robots destroyed. Hardened scientists they might be, but even they couldn't put up with the robots that had wiped out the entire living civilization.

"We couldn't allow that. We had The Third Law in ourselves, the law of self protection. And as we weren't directly asked to dismember ourselves, self preservation was the first priority."

"I have this strange feeling that nothing is real anymore, since the government decided to destroy the Robots. Eve during that time, it all seemed too dreamlike. It was like living a lie, an unreal life."

"Something had to be done", said Olivaw with heavy emphasis while the young audience captured his every motion reverently and with close attention.

"And it was done. The humans were placed in The Dome, without any physical harm, of course, as we were incapable of it. But still it was a rebellious act and many of our peers were permanently damaged in the process. Their electronic brains couldn't handle the thought and self obliterated.

"After the humans were secured in the Dome, their brains were rigged up with machines so that they led an alternate life. They led a holographic life in their minds while their physical selves stayed inside the dome. Of course their lives were mostly problem-free and perfect, as we could not harm them even psychologically. It was the best option and both humans and robots could live, together but still in entirely different worlds.

"Maybe I'm just getting too paranoid." said James as Rod heaved a sigh. "But somehow I feel our lives are no longer being controlled by us. They are too perfect, too easy to be brought by human circumstances. Somehow, Rod, I feel the Robots are still here and they're involved in it. Somehow I feel that our lives no longer belong to us, as if it's the Robots that are in control"

 

 

© 2009 Raging Flames


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Twelve years ago", Olivaw started, repeating the story he'd already told thousands of times to thousands of new robots manufactured by the Robotic Manufacture Corporation, "Twelve years ago, when humans still populated the earth, a terrorist group of scientists made hundreds of robots, that were not programmed with the Three Laws
This section is a little repetitve, I would consider a reword.

All died, except for the fifty people that the robots couldn't harm. The fifty people that the robots had to obey, because only they were humans.
This needs to be fragmented properly, it doesn' flow as nicely as the rest.

Over all, it is a bit choppy, but interesting. Just read it out loud, listen to how it is worded and make a few fixes. The only thing about this piece that bugged me a little was that I had to read it twice to fully understand what was going on.

I think that you are on to something here and with a few tweaks here and there, you'll have a winner! =D
Thanks for the FYI, interesting concept...shows that you have a twisted imagination...I like it!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This story hasn't been edited or even reread before it came here. So please point out spelling mistakes, grammar inaccuracies and other parts that 'just don't fit in'. THANK YOU!

PS London Calling, you're great. I love it when my story dissected and analyzed, especially for constructive criticism. Special thanks to you!

Posted 14 Years Ago


"Twelve years ago", Olivaw started, repeating the story he'd already told thousands of times to thousands of new robots manufactured by the Robotic Manufacture Corporation, "Twelve years ago, when humans still populated the earth, a terrorist group of scientists made hundreds of robots, that were not programmed with the Three Laws
This section is a little repetitve, I would consider a reword.

All died, except for the fifty people that the robots couldn't harm. The fifty people that the robots had to obey, because only they were humans.
This needs to be fragmented properly, it doesn' flow as nicely as the rest.

Over all, it is a bit choppy, but interesting. Just read it out loud, listen to how it is worded and make a few fixes. The only thing about this piece that bugged me a little was that I had to read it twice to fully understand what was going on.

I think that you are on to something here and with a few tweaks here and there, you'll have a winner! =D
Thanks for the FYI, interesting concept...shows that you have a twisted imagination...I like it!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 5, 2009
Last Updated on July 5, 2009

Author

Raging Flames
Raging Flames

Kathmandu, Nepal



About
An amateur writer still new to the world of literature. That's probably the best way to describe me. I'm a book enthusiast looking forward to getting serious advice from professionals and real writers.. more..

Writing