Intolerance Is......

Intolerance Is......

A Poem by ShaneBerry
"

Intolerance is_______ you fill in the blank.

"

Intolerance Is….

 

I will always be intolerant of intolerance.

It was not three years ago in which I was intolerant of homosexuality and homosexuals, then after my freshmen year in high school I found that they are the most trustworthy friends you can have. But I soon found they where violently discriminated, and ruthlessly attacked both verbally and physically.

               “MORE POWER TO THOSE WHO ARE DIFFERENT” is a saying I do not know who said it, but they are wrong. No one is different, not atheists to Christians, and not a straight man to a homosexual man. Christians wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner, and go to bed. Atheists wake up in the morning, go to work, come home, eat dinner, and go to bed.

Straight men, and straight women all, fall in love, get in a relationship, get their hearts broken, find someone they want to spend their life with, get married have children, and then eventually die. Homosexual men and homosexual women all, fall in love, get in a relationship, get their hearts broken, find someone they want to spend their life with, get married have children, and then eventually die.

 For me to meet my little sister’s boy friend, and explain to him what the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transsexual) community is to get a response like “F**s should all die.” With no hint of a joking overtone, makes my heart break. What is worse is that when I move to defend the LGBT community, I am told to be quiet, I am told to stop talking about it, and I am not given a chance to defend friends and family from the segregation bigotry that is the American teenagers understanding of the LGBT community.

 

Admittedly I do get defensive; this happens with most liberals, we are passionate people when it comes to anything we firmly believe in, as with anyone I would hope.

Later the topic of LGBT marriage was brought up, and my little sisters boyfriend announced that “they can have legal partnership, but they cannot get married.” I asked “why” he announced that it is “because they do not follow the path of god and in the bible it states marriage is between a man and a woman.”  This made me realize that he is speaking from pure ignorance of the LGBT community; he knows nothing of the community itself. “First, most of my homosexual friends are Christians. Second, if you are going to axe people who do not believe in god from being married then you are axing your girlfriend, her best friend, and I from ever being married to any of our significant others. And thirdly, marriage is a legal matter, not a spiritual one. If you want it to be spiritual, fine then when you get married, have it be a religious experience the homosexual culture is not trying to stop you, why do you want to stop them?” and he replied with “because they are stupid f*****s.” At this point I was told to be quiet from my sisters… I hope they saw the same blinding ignorance I saw in those final five words.


“I, like many members of my generation, was concerned with segregation and the repeated violation of civil rights.” �" Joseph E. Stigletz


“Marriage is an institution fits in perfect harmony with the laws of nature; whereas systems of slavery and segregation were designed to brutally oppress people and thereby violated the laws of nature.” �" Jack Kingston


“Segregation never brought anyone anything, except trouble.”-Paul Harris


“When I was in the military they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one.”-Leonard P. Matlovich


“Homosexuality is god's way of insuring that the truly gifted aren't burdened with children.” -Sam Austin


“Who would give a law to lovers?  Love is unto itself a higher law.” �"Boethius


“Jesse Helms and Newt Gingrich were shaking hands congratulating themselves on the introduction of an antigay bill in Congress.  If it passes, they won't be able to shake hands, because it will then be illegal for a prick to touch an a*****e.”-Judy Carter


“If Homosexuality is a dieses, let’s all call in Queer to work!”- Robin Tyler


“War.  Rape.  Murder.  Poverty.  Equal rights for gays.  Guess which one the Southern Baptist Convention is protesting?” -The Value of Families


The next 2 quotes are from one of the most influential men of the 20th century.


“Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom. A man can't ride you unless your back is bent.”-Martin Luther King, Jr.

 

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”-Martin Luther King, Jr.

 

When will the ignorance, the hatred, and the Intolerance, end?

=

Intolerance is……..

© 2011 ShaneBerry


Author's Note

ShaneBerry
the eleven quotes from the end where provided by my many LGBT friends and some family members of theirs. as this is a writing website, i am sure most of you already agree with these words. but i feel that is i let my words be heard, to those who know that i am not homosexual, but can see that i feel just as strongly towards the segregative division that some people are rioting for. because a fair number of my closest friends are homosexual, but also, the afairs of love have no place i the oval office. and how ingnorant todays youth is, it is from the parents, from the adults in these kids lives who make them look down upon those who are Homosexual. even though in truth they are no different than you or me. they love, they hate, they marry, they divorce (not a frequently as straight couples tho...) and who is to stop the protesters to go deeper into the segregation?? "NO ATHEIST MARRIAGES!!!" or "NO PAGANS IN TEXAS!!!" or "RAGHEAD POLITICS ARE HUSSEIN POLITICS" the last one is one that i have seen before. Purple is the international color for the support of the LGBT community. LGBT=Lesbian,Gay,Bisexual,Transsexual. But i believe that labeling them as LGBT is another form of segregation, no different that labeling a black man a nigger.... it is just as ignorant and wrong.
if i offended any one by stating the word "Nigger" i apologize, i said it only to use as an example as to former segregative words.

~~Novelists Elite~~
Display: ShaneBerry
Novelists Elite Member ID: 009
Division: I
Name: Shane
Username: shaneberry
Novels: Blayders, Element Z, Fox Trot, Element Z Revisioned
NE Status: Reader, Writer
Join Date: 03-25-2011

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree. Who are we to judge one another based on our sexual orientation or anything else for that matter. It's times such as these why I choose not to be religious because it has mistakes. The Bible itself was written by a man and man is human so he's liable to make mistakes especially in the interpretation of God's words. Excellent quotes by the way, and keep up what you're doing. It's people like yourself who'll change the world with a different attitude than what the norm has towards things.

Posted 12 Years Ago


"The only queer people are those who don't love anybody." --Rita Mae Brown.

First off, this was a great work, and I love that it comes from a person who has grown and been enlightened about tolerance. (Although, I will loosely quote South Park here and say tolerance isn't enough. Tolerating someone means you allow them to live in your existence. Accepting someone is far harder to do, and more powerful.) And it's nice to hear that someone who before was a part of the homophobic community (sorry, separating people inot categories isn't very accepting of me) stood up to family and friends, which is one of the hardest things to do.

However, there were some grammar errors and typos, places where there should have been periods, and this took away from the power of the piece. I got a little caught up stumbling over the errors and lost the thread of the piece momentarily. Just a quick read-through, and copying and pasting it to Word would fix most of these.

As a girl who identifies as a lesbian, I have seen a lot of discrimiination towards friends and occasionally myself (I live in San Francisco, so it's a bit easier for me than for others in different parts of the country.) However, more often than not i refrain from joining the debate because it usually deteriorates into throwing insults back and forth, everyone getting petty and no oone being convinced of anything. Only through my art do I defend it, and through living proudly and not hiding. Your piece is good in the sense that it doesn't give into the temptation to call ignorant people idiots, and it comes from someone who was once ignorant (as I think all of us are in our youths, when we are just projections of what parents and teachers believe). So thanks for your clear-headed and calm but passionate argument, and thanks for the support of the LGBT community, which is really just the human community. Keep writing and sending the RRs.

~~Novelists Elite~~
Display: Shalynn
Novelists Elite Member ID: 019
Name: Shalynn
Username: Shalynn
Novels: Faggotboy
NE Status: Early Reader, Early Writer
Join Date: 04-04-2011

Posted 12 Years Ago


You have some excellent quote at the end of this.



Posted 12 Years Ago


Amen and well said

Posted 12 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Intolerence is inexcusable in this day and age.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great! Thank you for the courage to expose and defend your opinions, and for the wonderful quotes too! Those of Martin Luther King are indeed very appropriate!



Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

interesting, I personally don't believe in homosexual marrige but thats my opinion. and your right, we shouldnt hate others, only love and care for them...

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have made some very strong points in this piece and we need to think sometimes and learn to be a little more opened minded.

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
well said..spoken will a passion and authority..

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a great opinion not everybody thinks about. You showed us (and yes, tell) about how things are like with other people. Amazing work! :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

631 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2011
Last Updated on April 20, 2011

Author

ShaneBerry
ShaneBerry

denton, TX



About
My Chemical Romance “The Ghost of You” Name: Shane Douglas Berry Age: Born on 8/4/1992 Hair color: Brown Eye color: Green Skin color: White, Freckled Tattoos: Oroborus (red, center.. more..

Writing
Original Original

A Poem by ShaneBerry



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


After-glow After-glow

A Poem by LA Lorena